GA Firing Line

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
WoW I’m impressed that’s a leap in the right direction for 22lr.

Reactions: Jake

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Imagine if they worked on the .22 mag in the same way. Instead, they developed the .17 caliber series. Could have better than 5.7 x 28 ballistics with a .22 mag and modern. projectile and much bigger following.

Hell, wish the .17 WSM had been developed for distance over speed. I love the round but 100 yard is tough with a 20 grain bullet on a windy day.

Hope these new. 22lr rounds are not too expensive. Looks like good product development.

Reactions: Miles and Jake

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
These are specifically designed for elr. Lots of people starting to shoot 22lr at extended ranges, so there is a market.

For 22lr, and small rimfire in general, the powder charge and priming is the driver of accuracy. It has to be consistent. Also, supers suck for accuracy at range. As soon as the round drops down through the sound barrier, turbulence is created and the small 22 rounds with low bc's tend to get wonky and accuracy suffers greatly. This pretty well knocks out 22mag for elr. The rounds are super. You could ramp up the bullet weight, but would need a much faster rifling to stabilize the heavy projectile.

The 22lr and the market is ready for elr. Can make a 40-45 grain projectile to work with standard 1/16 twist barrels. Keep the velocity around 1000 - 1050. But, G1 bc's with traditional 22 projectiles is around .145. The thought, I'm sure, is that the projectile is where they can get some some headway. Make something with a higher BC that is designed to work in existing rifle platforms.

The other real struggle of rimfire is consistency on the priming and powder charge. Cutting Edge is a bullet manufacturer, not an ammo mfg. Im assuming that they will be collaborating with another ammo mfg to put these out. I know they have worked with Sierra in the past, but not thinking that CCI will be the route to go as they have not been good at making consistent ammo. Federal doesn't even make their own match 22lr. Probably realistically looking at RWS (doubt that works with the Prime ammo debacle), Eley or Lapua to make these things and they are all overseas. They will need to be single digit sd's to hit at range.

I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see these around 50 to 60 cents per round. Id glasly pay that. Hell, im paying about 40 CPR for my match 22lr ammo now, and realistically, shoot it to 400, although I have had success at 500 with no wind.

I'm excited for these. I revamped the optics for my T1x with a new rail and scope and can dial for 500 now. These would be perfect.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I have the 457 pro varmint and love it .shoots dime size holes at 50 yards and I’m not sure it’s totally broken in yet
Pick an ammo and stick to it. Takes 50 rounds or so for the wax to take over the barrel from each type of ammo you shoot. There really isn't a "break in" for 22 rifles though.

Reactions: Jake

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Buy a lot and be done for the short future. I found a lot that worked really well in my t1x and bought 5k rounds. Shooting 10 shot groups at 100 at nearly .5 moa.
I couldn’t make my mind up on which one to but the 457 or the t1x. I could not find a t1x anywhere at the time . I have 2000 of the eley left, that will do me for a little while

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I couldn’t make my mind up on which one to but the 457 or the t1x. I could not find a t1x anywhere at the time . I have 2000 of the eley left, that will do me for a little while
That'll do!

Yeah - it was a painful wait for the T1x. Ive had a few CZ's, a ruger American, Salvage Mark 2 (worst one of em), Ruger Precision Rimfire. Finally found the one im keeping in the t1x.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
That'll do!

Yeah - it was a painful wait for the T1x. Ive had a few CZ's, a ruger American, Salvage Mark 2 (worst one of em), Ruger Precision Rimfire. Finally found the one im keeping in the t1x.
I kinda feel like that about this 457 .but you never know