Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I polished the feed ramp, sanded the sharp edges off the magazine base plate, filed down some casting left-overs under the barrel lug, and did a mod with the mag release to make it easier to unload the pistol [insert disclaimer].

then I shot a gazillion rounds through it this morning. alright, maybe 300rds. I finished a box (about 50rds) of crappy Federal copper plated 36gr hp's that even my 10/22 hates and had 4 failures to extract. then I shot about 250rds of 40gr RN Rem Thunderbolts without a single problem. Love it. pretty decent accuracy for only a 3" barrel. it was really windy and even rained a bit and I was mostly just trying to guage reliability/functionality. I'll focus on accuracy next time. pretty tight groups at 7 yards though. I can see how it could be a good "trainer" for a LCP. and I'm looking forward to a 5" barrel.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
You can do checks on my post on a number of forums on these little gems. I likes the first one so well, Bought another one. guntest.com did a comparison of a few 22.cals and the little Phoenix beat pistols costing three times the amount of the Phoenix and gave the Phoenix a A+ rating. A very well deserved rating.

These guns are just plain fun to shoot, great trainers for pocket carry pistols, they eat any ammo like candy.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Here is a target I shoot one day with my Phoenix.

DSCF9531.jpg

I think I need to file down the front sight on the 5" barrel.

RICHGCOOP

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I've been a little interested in coloring the engravings on some of my guns in the past but never wanted to buggar them up if I made a mistake. Having a SNS takes all the worry about screwing up so I thought i'd practice on it. Plus, my wife and kids are out of town for a couple of weeks so I already had her nail polish (and some other stuff) out for "other" reasons. don't judge me. :(

some yellow and read nail polish.
601c025c-f2b0-e257.jpg

601c025c-f2c6-e267.jpg

M

mukwah

That's funny, about ten years ago I was wiping down a Taurus revolver right in the middle of spring in the south. I sprayed it down with WD40 and grabbed a rag off my back porch that I didn't know until later was covered in pollen. The yellow pollen got all in the lettering and I never could get it out. Over the years many people commented on how nice it looked and how did I do that! I just said it was real difficult! LOL!

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
RICHGCOOP said:
Looks good. I did the fire on mine in red like yours. And did the safe in white.

RICHGCOOP

601c025c-3ffd-9300.jpg

that was a little harder but not too bad. I polished the grip screws when I polished the feed ramp. It certainly has the "lipstick on a pig" look to it but I still like it.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
mukwah said:
That's funny, about ten years ago I was wiping down a Taurus revolver right in the middle of spring in the south. I sprayed it down with WD40 and grabbed a rag off my back porch that I didn't know until later was covered in pollen. The yellow pollen got all in the lettering and I never could get it out. Over the years many people commented on how nice it looked and how did I do that! I just said it was real difficult! LOL!

I was in Columbia SC last spring and saw what use to be a black BMW covered with a thick layer of pollen in the hotel parking lot. It looked like yellow powder-coat paint. I didn't know it could get that bad.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
The general shape of the Phoenix .22 looks very much like a Walther PPK. Can anyone who has one of the Phoenix .22 pistols confirm how close it feels to the Walther?

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
the manual for this gun says to use 1050-1150fps, lead, 32-40gr, round nose ammo. several people had told me that they run just regular thunderbolts through them (1255fps) and I have used this ammo already without problems. i know there is a history or some of these developing cracks behind the slide stop and that that type of damage is probably cumulative. so what ammo are you guys using? Rem has some subsonic stuff that costs about twice as much for some reason.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I just use whatever I have around. I figure if it breaks What I save on the cheaper ammo will pay for a new pistol.

RICHGCOOP

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
well assuming the Ring of Fire is still around, they should replace it. it's just a hassle.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Many of you know that I'm all over this forum and other forums with nothing but praise for the Little Phoenix, A very remarkable shooter. Gun test did a comparison of a number of 22.cals and rated the Phoenix a "A PLUS". A very deserved rating. By the way, I like the pistol so much, I bought another.

Dave@vabch

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
You can never have to many guns, The PHOENIX is one fun gun and it don't cost to munch.
Every one that shoots mine loves it.

RICHGCOOP

CRXPilot

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Mooresville, NC
Trigger_1 said:
CRX.....Didya get it yet............... ;)

Nope, not yet. Had a moment (month) of clarity and held off.

Howevah 8) My dad showed me his Charter Arms 22 revolver and my guess is it sits quiet all the time. I'm gonna bug him about it tomorrow. See if I can at least borrow it a few moments (months). Wish me luck.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Took both of my Phoenix's to the range last weekend and had a great time. Shot them like crazy without one failure. I love these little guns. What gets me is the big fad with the New Pocketlite, and the Sig 238. Folks just seem to love the design. Funny how the Phoenix has such a similar design and would make a great trainer for the fortunate shooters that own.

check out the comparison of the three guns.

http://www.genitron.com/Compare/Selected-List.aspx

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
davevabch said:
Took both of my Phoenix's to the range last weekend and had a great time. Shot them like crazy without one failure. I love these little guns. What gets me is the big fad with the New Pocketlite, and the Sig 238. Folks just seem to love the design. Funny how the Phoenix has such a similar design and would make a great trainer for the fortunate shooters that own.

check out the comparison of the three guns.

http://www.genitron.com/Compare/Selected-List.aspx

My Father had the HP22A but didn't like the way it field stripped. He saw my wife's Taurus PT22 and liked the flip up barrell aspect of it so he went and ordered the Beretta Bobcat .22lr and gave me his HP22a for Christmas! Always room for one more!