Talk me out of a PTR91...

American Revival Apparel Company

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I have not had a PTR but I have had a couple of Cetmes and they were both pretty great, Is the PTR an G3 or Cetme copy?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I have not had a PTR but I have had a couple of Cetmes and they were both pretty great, Is the PTR an G3 or Cetme copy?
Both the PTR91 and Cetme C308 are copies of the HK G3 / HK91 (G3=FA, 91=SA), but the copies have their quarks

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Both the PTR91 and Cetme C308 are copies of the HK G3 / HK91 (G3=FA, 91=SA), but the copies have their quarks
No not really the the HK is a copy of the Cetme, it has some changes/improvements so not all parts are interchangeable. do yo know if the PTR91 has parts that are not interchangeable with the HK?

Reactions: Rwjeter

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
No not really the the HK is a copy of the Cetme, it has some changes/improvements so not all parts are interchangeable. do yo know if the PTR91 has parts that are not interchangeable with the HK?
Interesting, I was not aware of that; I was under the (obviously false) impression that the Cetme was a copy, my apologies for the bad info.

I do not know if the PTR has non-interchangeable parts, i'll have to dig into that when I get a chance

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Thanks for the correction, I just found this:

"The HK91 was designed after WWII by German and Spanish engineers at Spain’s CETME arms plant. The original rifle was called the CETME rifle and was chambered in the 7.62×51 CETME cartridge. This round was identical to the 7.62×51 NATO cartridge, but was loaded to a lower pressure and velocity. The German firm Heckler & Koch eventually obtained all rights to build the rifle and, with updates, it became the G3 rifle which fired the NATO round. The G3 is a selective-fire assault rifle and the semiautomatic only version is the HK91."

Reactions: Rwjeter and Frogman

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Interesting, I was not aware of that; I was under the (obviously false) impression that the Cetme was a copy, my apologies for the bad info.

I do not know if the PTR has non-interchangeable parts, i'll have to dig into that when I get a chance
No worries its a common misconception.

Reactions: DMR and AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

This is what my GoogleFu divulged: (Hijacked from http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/faqs/hk-91cetme-faqs/)

"HK 91/G3 and CETME Parts Compatibility Guide
The following HK 91/G3 parts are interchangeable with the older CETME rifle:

• Backplate or Complete recoil Assembly (minor fitting to the plastic sleeve at the end of the spring guide rod is required)
  • Barrel
  • Barrel Retainer Pins
  • Blank Firing Adapter
  • Buttstock- with minor fitting (buffer hole must be matched in order to use the cetme buffer)
  • Carry handle and Port Buffer (requires modification to CETME handguard)
  • Claw, Stanag Scope Mount
  • Collapsible Stock (minor fitting to the plastic sleeve at the end of the spring guide rod required)
  • Complete Stock set (fitting to the plastic sleeve at the end of the spring guide rod required)
  • Complete Trigger Pack (as a set but not individual parts)
  • End Cap/Dust Cover (CETME end cap/dust cover will not fit g3)
  • Eyeloop for triple frame
  • Flash Hider
  • Grip Frames
  • Handguards, Slim
  • Handguards Wide (fitting is required, CETME has a bipod retaining ring that prevents the wide handguards from being installed)
  • Mag Catch parts
  • Paddle mag release
  • Pistol Grip
  • Pivot Pin for cocking handle
  • Rear Sight (but only if entire sight base is swapped)
  • Retainer Plate and Roll Pin Retainer for Rollers
  • Rollers
  • +2, +4 Rollers
  • Triple Frames"
That said, I'm still looking to see if this matches the PTR compatibility

ETA:
This is the closest I've found to a hands-on answer (If you find anything more reputable, pls let me know).

"I have a PTR91 (MSG) and many G3 spare parts. Here are some I've swapped or tested to keep as backups - keep in mind that 922(r) applies, and be careful not to make it FA.

Most of what I got was from www.robertrtg.com

Choate Folding Stock - complete recoil assembly
Steel Clipped and Pinned Semi/Auto Lower
Various replacement parts for the trigger assemble - watch out for FA parts.
Extractor/Ejector/Pivot Pin/Spring
Bayonet Adapter
G3 Alloy Mags - G3/HK91

From what I can tell, just about all parts are swappable with the G3/PTR. The few exceptions that need modification to the rifle are the SEF lowers that will need clip/pined; some models like the MSG won't fit a bayonet or other replacement hand guards because the current hand guard is too short or barrel not original size; the paddle lever mag release won't fit either without a gunsmith and a drill. Beyond those three items, you should be good to go."

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
If you buy an older PTR or any Cetme built with surplus parts your going to want to get a good set of feeler gauges to check the head-space, if its off you can usually address it with different size rollers.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
If you buy an older PTR or any Cetme built with surplus parts your going to want to get a good set of feeler gauges to check the head-space, if its off you can usually address it with different size rollers.
Thanks, I'll certainly be doing more research if I decide to buy; with everything posted thus far, I've added a bunch of check-off boxes to the list.

Again, I appreciate the info, sir :yo:

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The Nightforce SHV 3-10X42MM would be a great topper for a PTR-91. Oughta be able to pick one up for about $850.

If that's too much money, look at one of the older Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10's; either the x32mm FFP or the x44 SFP. I see them used for $500-$650.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Finally coming out of the closet? That is the perfect weapon for you.

Reactions: 1776

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Dang! @Frogman taught me something new! I didn't know HK was the copy. By the way, @AirOpsMgr , you do get one of these I got a mag I'll send you. It's been in the GAW section for forever. Lol

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I fondled the PTR-32 (7.62x39 version) at the show on Friday.

Takes AK mags.

Much want.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I want one..... Bad bad.... SBR with a collapsible HK stock!?! Who's with me!?!

I ended up going with an SBR SIG 556xi Russian instead. Found one of the old, factory collapsing folding stocks for it. No real reason for going with the SIG instead, but I do prefer their gas-actuated piston-driven long stroke op system over HK's "roller locked delayed-blowback".

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I ended up going with an SBR SIG 556xi Russian instead. Found one of the old, factory collapsing folding stocks for it. No real reason for going with the SIG instead, but I do prefer their gas-actuated piston-driven long stroke op system over HK's "roller locked delayed-blowback".
Yeah, that's on the list too. I looked at one last weekend. It had the new style folder. I like the old style better too. I really have no opinion on which operating system is better. I've never shot anything with the roller delayed blowback to have an opinion worth anything.