Stolen gun recovered

Howard Law

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
Last year my wife bought me a Gen 3 OD Glock 26 for my birthday. I changed out the sights to Warren Tactical Sevigny carry sights, tritium front plain black rear. I also put in a smooth trigger face, and a ghost ultimate connector.

A few months later (last September) a group of teenagers went all down my road stealing whatever they could get out of cars and trucks. That morning we were moving out of the apartment we were living in and moving into the house we bought. When I went out to get in the truck I noticed the front door was not closed all the way. Before you ask, yes I had failed to lock my truck. My favorite gun was gone.

Fast forward to Monday night, a buddy of mine noticed an OD Glock 26 with the same Warren sights on a facebook gun trader page. While there was no guarantee that it was my gun, I felt like it is an uncommon enough combination that there was a very good chance it was. Also, it only came with the one magazine and no box or papers. I still have the original box and papers, the receipt for the gun and the receipt for the upgrades I did to it. It had only been posted for an hour, and 14 people had commented on it. I called the police and they said there was nothing they could do that night, I had to call the investigator in the morning. I just knew the gun would be gone by then, so I sent the guy a message saying I wanted it, to call me or message me back ASAP.

Long story short, I got in contact with the guy and told him there was a very good chance it was stolen. He asked me for the serial, I gave it to him and it matched. I met him yesterday and he returned the gun. He seemed like a good guy. Him and his wife have a baby on the way and he was scared he would get into trouble with the military(he is in the Army).

After I retrieved it I got back in touch with the investigator and told him I got it myself. I brought it by the police station so he could verify the serial and take it off of the stolen gun database. He berated me for getting it myself, that I should have let them handle it. I didn't want to take the chance of it disappearing again after it being gone almost a year. At any rate, I have my gun back now! If it had been a plain black stock Glock, I never would have known it was mine.

TL:DR Had gun stolen from truck, almost a year later it shows up on Facebook. I went and got it back.

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
I called the police and they said there was nothing they could do that night, I had to call the investigator in the morning.

After I retrieved it I got back in touch with the investigator and told him I got it myself. I brought it by the police station so he could verify the serial and take it off of the stolen gun database. He berated me for getting it myself, that I should have let them handle it.
Geez, you gave them the chance to deal with it and they passed. Glad you got your gun back. How did the Army guy get it?

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Glad you got your property back.

Folks, how do thieves arm themselves? They steal your firearms that are kept unsecured in your vehicle.

If you're going to keep it in your vehicle PLEASE provide some secondary mode of protection!

I agree, we shouldn't HAVE TO. I hate a thief.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
Damn! I live in Ringgold...wonder if I saw it on the FB trader page.

It was "North Georgia Gun trader" just like that with the trader not capitalized. OD green Glock 26. Funny enough, and this probably actually helped me, the ad was deleted by an admin of the group because the guy didn't have a trade value listed. Luckily I had already took a screenshot of the ad, and saved all of the pictures.

Aug 17, 2015
Delray Beach
Last year my wife bought me a Gen 3 OD Glock 26 for my birthday. I changed out the sights to Warren Tactical Sevigny carry sights, tritium front plain black rear. I also put in a smooth trigger face, and a ghost ultimate connector.

A few months later (last September) a group of teenagers went all down my road stealing whatever they could get out of cars and trucks. That morning we were moving out of the apartment we were living in and moving into the house we bought. When I went out to get in the truck I noticed the front door was not closed all the way. Before you ask, yes I had failed to lock my truck. My favorite gun was gone.

Fast forward to Monday night, a buddy of mine noticed an OD Glock 26 with the same Warren sights on a facebook gun trader page. While there was no guarantee that it was my gun, I felt like it is an uncommon enough combination that there was a very good chance it was. Also, it only came with the one magazine and no box or papers. I still have the original box and papers, the receipt for the gun and the receipt for the upgrades I did to it. It had only been posted for an hour, and 14 people had commented on it. I called the police and they said there was nothing they could do that night, I had to call the investigator in the morning. I just knew the gun would be gone by then, so I sent the guy a message saying I wanted it, to call me or message me back ASAP.

Long story short, I got in contact with the guy and told him there was a very good chance it was stolen. He asked me for the serial, I gave it to him and it matched. I met him yesterday and he returned the gun. He seemed like a good guy. Him and his wife have a baby on the way and he was scared he would get into trouble with the military(he is in the Army).

After I retrieved it I got back in touch with the investigator and told him I got it myself. I brought it by the police station so he could verify the serial and take it off of the stolen gun database. He berated me for getting it myself, that I should have let them handle it. I didn't want to take the chance of it disappearing again after it being gone almost a year. At any rate, I have my gun back now! If it had been a plain black stock Glock, I never would have known it was mine.

TL:DR Had gun stolen from truck, almost a year later it shows up on Facebook. I went and got it back.
Good story and a happy ending.

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove