Steel targets

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
does anyone have their own steel targets? I've been thinking of getting a silhouette and maybe a few 8-10" circle ones to keep at my inlaws farm to shoot at when I'm down.

Where is a good place to buy? I figure shipping is expensive because of the weight.

Has anyone gone to a metal fabrication shop and just had them cut some steel?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The best prices I've found is Amazon, especially if you have Prime.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have thought of buying some steel and making my own targets. I have never looked into buying ballistic safe metal though. I will call my supplier today and see what they carry.

120 Acres

Hunter
May 16, 2016
Long, OK
Zip code
Got mine from a local steel supply. They charge for the cuts, but if you know someone with a cutting torch, you can do it yourself, maybe rent one?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have thought of buying some steel and making my own targets. I have never looked into buying ballistic safe metal though. I will call my supplier today and see what they carry.

Let me know, maybe if we can get a few of us to buy some we can get the price down?

I mostly want a silhouette for running drills and a round gong I guess you call it for practicing at longer ranges with my deer rifle.

Reactions: Cudruln

120 Acres

Hunter
May 16, 2016
Long, OK
Zip code
Eh, get cheap steel and replace as needed. It will surprise you how much shooting you can put into a 1/2" steel plate. Pistol, it will last forever, rifle will eventually shred it up.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Eh, get cheap steel and replace as needed. It will surprise you how much shooting you can put into a 1/2" steel plate. Pistol, it will last forever, rifle will eventually shred it up.

Shooting cheap steel isn't safe. You ding it up and the splatter and ricochet stops being predictable. AR500 that you can spend all day hitting with .308 without a dimple is worth it.

Reactions: KGmade and AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
For those that have steel targets, do you leave them outside the whole time or do you bring them in when not in use? If you leave them outside, how well doe they hold up to the weather (rusting)?

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
For those that have steel targets, do you leave them outside the whole time or do you bring them in when not in use? If you leave them outside, how well doe they hold up to the weather (rusting)?

I've got a couple small ones that stay outside for 22s. They will rust a bit but I don't worry about it. You can repaint when you're finished and I don't think they would rust.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I've got a couple small ones that stay outside for 22s. They will rust a bit but I don't worry about it. You can repaint when you're finished and I don't think they would rust.

that was kinda my plan, the area of the farm i shoot on is kinda far back and lugging a heavy as steel target back and forth would suck. I was kinda thinking a fresh coat of spray paint before i leave it would help.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I just bought an 8" round 3/8" AR500 static target from xsteeltargets.com last week. I hang it on a shepherds hook from Home Depot. Heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I take mine down when I'm done because we have had things stolen from our hunting land before.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: AtlMedic

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
that was kinda my plan, the area of the farm i shoot on is kinda far back and lugging a heavy as steel target back and forth would suck. I was kinda thinking a fresh coat of spray paint before i leave it would help.

If you do buy from the place I posted, get their mounting kits too(at least one to see how they work). They're designed to keep the targets at an angle so you don't get any deflection coming back to you, even when shooting quite close. You don't want them hanging straight up and down, unless you stay way back. I've seen someone get their cheek cut from a ricocheted jacket.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
If you do buy from the place I posted, get their mounting kits too(at least one to see how they work). They're designed to keep the targets at an angle so you don't get any deflection coming back to you, even when shooting quite close. You don't want them hanging straight up and down, unless you stay way back. I've seen someone get their cheek cut from a ricocheted jacket.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up

I found a gully way back in the woods on the farm that's near a swamp. There is a bank/hill on one end that's about 8 feet high. I'm hoping to make myself a little training range back there over time with some steel. Targets where I can safely practice stuff and it's far enough back in the woods you have to have a side by side or four wheeler to get back there or be ready to walk a good bit through some swampy nasty area so no one should mess with anything.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Anyone ever shoot brake rotors?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I haven't, but I want to now. I'm going to have to root through my FILs random farm crap and see if there are any old rotors I can shoot.
The only issue I can see is that they're probably pretty fragile since they're cast. Otherwise they seem like a good free target.