Steel cased ammo in your ar/ak builds

Faktory 47

BigMikey

Hunter
Jan 31, 2016
I saw the thread over in the handgun forum so I was wondering how many of us use the steel cased ammo for our rifles too? I know i have no problems feeding my guns with it

Feb 5, 2016
It doesn't hurt anything. There's many many threads on various forums about it. I'd stay away from any gun company that says it will void their warranty. They put out inferior products and weisel out of their warranties this way. Any quality firearm shouldn't have an issue.

D

David

I throw all kinds of different types of ammo in both my AR15s neither of them have ever had any problems including steel cases ammo.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I've never used steel case in my AR's but have went through many many rounds with my AK, fires just fine through it and definitely alot cheaper than brass case ammunition

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
With the AR rifles one think you have to be careful with is the lacquer that the steel cases are coated with. As that builds up in the chamber functioning will be a problem. AK's have looser tolerances so isn't as much of a problem. Just clean out your chamber after a range session and you should be fine.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Shawn pretty much hit it on the head. The lacquer is the issue when it gets hot. I've had the most problem with Wolf on this. I will say I have shot probably thousands of rounds of Tula .223 without problems. I believe they use a polymer coating as does some of the newer wolf. Steel case doesn't have the negative stigma like it used to. Especially when you consider that companies like Hornady make a training version of their 75gr TAP ammo that is the exact same bullet in a steel case. Great accuracy, same POI as my defensive TAP round, and reliable. I don't hesitate to shoot steel (but cleaning does reduce any chance of issue).