Steel Ar500 Targets

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

JustinS

Customized Title
Jan 31, 2016
i see these things at gun shows a lot lately but they are like 150 for a 6" plate. Are they really worth that much or can I get a plate of steel and have my own cut for cheaper?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Anyone paying that much for a 6" must have more money than brains. Making your own will likely not give you the quality you get with a good manufacturer. Sure, I can buy a 4x8 sheet of AR500 for $800, but how am I going to cut it? Torch? The heat weakens all the edges and will cause premature wear. I don't have the money for a high pressure water jet.

You are better off doing a little shopping and find a good price. Nevco, Jabs Extreme Steel Targets, MGM......lots to choose from. I have 5 Nevco steel challenge plates and 5 Jabs A/C zone IPSC plates. I'd go with Jabs.

HFTech

Hunter
Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="JustinS]i see these things at gun shows a lot lately but they are like 150 for a 6" plate. Are they really worth that much or can I get a plate of steel and have my own cut for cheaper?

[/QUOTE]
I Have a friend cut my AR500 Targets that I designed with a Laser.

They are $100.00ea. & are 3/8"-12"x18" Rifle Rated & Torso Shaped.

For this price though, you must buy at least 10 of them. If I could get a Group buy going, I could have some made up.

These are Very heavy though, and would require anyone buying them, to pick them up at my Place near Bowling Green, Ohio.

Thanks. Jeff

HFTech

D

David

I'd be interested in a 3/8" 12x18 for $100 Jeff, so if you get that group buy going let me know.

DTF23

Hunter
Jan 30, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]Anyone paying that much for a 6" must have more money than brains. Making your own will likely not give you the quality you get with a good manufacturer. Sure, I can buy a 4x8 sheet of AR500 for $800, but how am I going to cut it? Torch? The heat weakens all the edges and will cause premature wear. I don't have the money for a high pressure water jet.
You are better off doing a little shopping and find a good price. Nevco, Jabs Extreme Steel Targets, MGM......lots to choose from. I have 5 Nevco steel challenge plates and 5 Jabs A/C zone IPSC plates. I'd go with Jabs.

[/QUOTE]
I understand that the heat will weaken the steel but if I'm just shooting small arms at it like 9mm, 380, maybe up to a 45 will it make that much of a difference?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I'm not an expert, but talking to a metallurgist friend of mine it sounds like it really depends on how many rounds and where the hits are. You hit almost all center mass and use it for fun it should be good for a long time. Lots of edge hits and you'll see cracks sooner.

I use steel along with paper targets in the classes I teach so they take much more of a beating.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I deal alot with different steels due to the criticality included with the components manufactured for the Navy, yes heat will affect the metal If cut with a oxy-acetylene torch (heat affected zone similar to welding in that the grain structure is weakens due to high heat) that being said your only talking roughly a half inch of heat affected zone using a plasma cutter, using an acetylenetorch however it takes more heat to make the cut in essence annealing the metal. .......best way in my honest opinion for do it your-selfers is to cut out a square with a good metal blade and then hack off the corners then round out, now there are waterjet places that will make the cuts with garnet and they do a fine fine job but of course there is a cost associated with that, I've got a mill and a lathe so that makes it fairly easy on my end, if any of y'all are ever in the Youngstown area feel free to hit me up and we can make some all fir the cost of splitting a six pack ;)

Frank

gaptrick

Hunter
Jun 1, 2016
[QUOTE="JustinS]i see these things at gun shows a lot lately but they are like 150 for a 6" plate. Are they really worth that much or can I get a plate of steel and have my own cut for cheaper?

[/QUOTE]
Hello all.. Brand new to this forum. I was made aware of this place by a friend on another forum. Looks like a nice spot and I'm just bouncing around kicking tires when I see the inquiry about AR targets.

I'm currently doing a little side work with some 3/8" AR400 and have been selling 8" AND 10" TEARDROPS.

gaptrick

Hunter
Jun 1, 2016
If I may continue... I've sold a few dozen with terrific results. I also made a resettable plate rack for myself that we've hammered with .223, .270 and .308 with zero dents dings or distortion (full disclosure, the .308 will leave maybe a .005" depression). Pistol rounds are obviously not worth mentioning.

There is discussion regarding the flame cutting being detrimental to the temper of these AR plates. There is absolutely no reason for concern as nothing is lost. As mentioned, the rifle rounds leave no marks and this includes when hit on the plasma cut edges. not a single complaint

These 8" I m selling for $19.00ea and the 10" are $30.00 and actual UPS ground shipping charges. It should be obvious no one is getting rich here

Its my hope that we'll expand out offerings and possibly even have some animal silhouettes (ala Hickock45). Haven't done any large "GONGS" as of yet, but if interested please inquire and we can figure something out. As I said, we're just in the beginning stages here so our inventory is more cut to order right now.

When I figure out how to post pictures I'll get something up on this thread. Any questions please ask.

In the mean time I'll continue to poke around here.

Thanks

Gap

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="gaptrick]If I may continue... I've sold a few dozen with terrific results. I also made a resettable plate rack for myself that we've hammered with .223, .270 and .308 with zero dents dings or distortion (full disclosure, the .308 will leave maybe a .005" depression). Pistol rounds are obviously not worth mentioning.
There is discussion regarding the flame cutting being detrimental to the temper of these AR plates. There is absolutely no reason for concern as nothing is lost. As mentioned, the rifle rounds leave no marks and this includes when hit on the plasma cut edges. not a single complaint

These 8" I m selling for $19.00ea and the 10" are $30.00 and actual UPS ground shipping charges. It should be obvious no one is getting rich here

Its my hope that we'll expand out offerings and possibly even have some animal silhouettes (ala Hickock45). Haven't done any large "GONGS" as of yet, but if interested please inquire and we can figure something out. As I said, we're just in the beginning stages here so our inventory is more cut to order right now.

When I figure out how to post pictures I'll get something up on this thread. Any questions please ask.

In the mean time I'll continue to poke around here.

Thanks

Gap

[/QUOTE]
That's a good deal price wise!, personally I wouldn't have any concerns regarding plasma cutting, it's hot and fast so to speak, you ought to be able to sell a lot of them at that price,

gaptrick

Hunter
Jun 1, 2016
Absolutely correct... hot and fast. A controlled SLOW cool down is what would anneal the steel softening the edges.. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures, although my tech savvy curve is a bit wide....

gaptrick

Hunter
Jun 1, 2016
Hope I don't screw this up. If all goes well it will be a picture of the 8" dia target with mounting holes for 3/8" carriage bolts. It so far is the top seller. We've done a few 10" in the same teardrop style and a couple 12" squares with a round hanging hole.

HFTech

Hunter
Feb 3, 2016
[quote=

Your wrong to mention nothing is Lost with Ocy-Acet. or Plasma Cutting on AR500 plate. You will begin to notice "Rolling" or Pitting at the Edges which will ruin your plate over time.

Impact AR500 plate achieves its properties through quenching and tempering processes. Heating in fabrication (such as post-weld stress relieving) or in service must not exceed 400 Fahrenheit without risk of lowering the strength and hardness of the material.

HFTech

Hunter
Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="gaptrick]Absolutely correct... hot and fast. A controlled SLOW cool down is what would anneal the steel softening the edges.. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures, although my tech savvy curve is a bit wide....

[/QUOTE]
Absolutely INCORRECT.

Impact AR500 plate achieves its properties through quenching and tempering processes. Heating in fabrication (such as post-weld stress relieving) or in service must not exceed 400 Fahrenheit without risk of lowering the strength and hardness of the material.

Last edited by a moderator:

gaptrick

Hunter
Jun 1, 2016
I have not sent samples out to an independent lab for metallurgical testing. Lucky for us I'm making $19.00 targets to shoot at and rust away in a field and not space shuttle re-entry plates.

Yes, I suppose technically, molecularly speaking, there is some degradation to the properties of the steel edge that is inherent to the process of plasma cutting. It's the nature of the beast. I will go out on a limb here and guess that 95% of targets such as these are made with the plasma torch process as its fast, accurate enough, and cheap. Water jet is a manufacture possibility I suppose, but who wants to pay $90 for one of these? Or heat treating post cut? Again, the cost...

Now with that said, will it have a bearing on it being repeatedly hit with .223 and .308? If so, I haven't seen it yet, nor have there been any complaints from those who have purchased these from my shop and have found them to be up to the task.

NitroNeil

Hunter
Jun 24, 2016
You can weld AR500 if you pre-heat to 300 F and keep interpass temps below 400 F and let it cool down slowly (I forget the rate).

MrEar

Scout
Jun 25, 2016
Just received a 12" round plate from Gaptrick. Haven't had an opportunity to dent it yet so I can't yet comment on calibers it'll take, but I can say that Gaptrick is an easy man to deal with, the prices are great, and received it super fast.