Spotting Scopes Under $150

American Revival Apparel Company

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If I was looking for a cheap spotting scope I'd pick up a fixed 20 power SWFA scope. Better glass than cheap spotters and can always mount it on a gun whenever. High magnification on cheap optics is usually shitty.
It'd be ok at the range, but FOV suffers a lot, and if you're on the grassland spotting prairie goats it'd be a real bitch.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I think when looking at budget glass, it's better to go fixed power than variable. It drives the cost up, so everything else gets downgraded to hit a certain price point. They're also less complicated, and maybe less prone to failure. The ones I've been eyeing are mostly fixed 20x.
They also offer a wider fov per given magnification.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
I really appreciate the input from the members here, a lot of good advice from the community. Like I said in my original post, this spotting scope is just something to help me mitigate downtime at the range by walking down to the 25yd-50yd line to check zero. As I spend more time behind the long guns I'm sure I'll be upgrading to something better

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
Now that I've had the scope on the range and actually used it I feel like I can write a decent review. The glass is really clear and the magnification is great out to about 75 yards. I was using the scope to zero in my rifle at 25 yards. The tripod that came with the scope works well and is very stable making it easy to maintain a picture of the target. I wouldn't recommend using this scope past 75 yards as the clarity suffers and magnification just isn't capable of reaching out that far. Over all I am very pleased with this scope for the price.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Simmons makes a descent 60 power. Then, go to Bargain Hunt in Marietta to find a really nice tripod for around $60. I still use mine 3 years later with no issues. Only complaint is at 60 power, the eye relief sucks. You cant see close enough without lifting up your glasses each time.

Reactions: mmason3