SOTA ARMS. Any Experience?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

jloneill17

Hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Canon, GA
Zip code
Anyone have any experience with SOTA Arms from MN? built billet lower for $220, built billet upper for $375. $595 for a factory built AR. free shipping, so you pay a transfer fee on the lower. maybe an extra $25. that's a heck of a price for an AR carbine. Anyone own or shot their stuff? thanks

Reactions: dougiemac

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Anyone have any experience with SOTA Arms from MN? built billet lower for $220, built billet upper for $375. $595 for a factory built AR. free shipping, so you pay a transfer fee on the lower. maybe an extra $25. that's a heck of a price for an AR carbine. Anyone own or shot their stuff? thanks
I've handled tons of them. They're fine. The rifles usually ship really dry, so be sure to oil it up and clean the gun before shooting.

Reactions: jloneill17

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
strip it all the way down to removing the firing pin?
I mean if you squirt some oil generously on the BCG it'll probably get to the pin. But the issues I've seen were completely dry bcg's and uppers having issues cycling because the buyers didn't oil them at all after buying them.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've built three with their parts and my very first upper was a complete from them. I will without a doubt do business with them again in the future.

I built my 7.62x39 AR with mostly SOTA parts and it runs like a champ.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I did have an issue with a gas key leak on the bcg with the complete upper I bought, but their service was great. I also asked if I could swap the hand guards fully expecting to pay extra, but they just sent me the one I wanted no charge and without even asking me to send the other one back. So customer service is also good to go in my book.

Reactions: jloneill17

jloneill17

Hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Canon, GA
Zip code
I mean if you squirt some oil generously on the BCG it'll probably get to the pin. But the issues I've seen were completely dry bcg's and uppers having issues cycling because the buyers didn't oil them at all after buying them.

Gotcha.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I've built two uppers from their parts and ordered another complete. the observation about parts arriving dry is spot on. you definitely want to break down and lube before firing.

also quality was fine...I didn't put more than 400 rounds through them before I sold the uppers.

accuracy was about what you'd expect from a budget barrel.

four years ago they were about the best bang for the buck but now that prices have dropped through the floor, it seems that it's only a matter of waiting on a better deal through psa.

Reactions: PewPewPewCo

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Yeah, their complete uppers are good to go.

No experience with their lowers, though.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I've built two uppers from their parts and ordered another complete. the observation about parts arriving dry is spot on. you definitely want to break down and lube before firing.

also quality was fine...I didn't put more than 400 rounds through them before I sold the uppers.

accuracy was about what you'd expect from a budget barrel.

four years ago they were about the best bang for the buck but now that prices have dropped through the floor, it seems that it's only a matter of waiting on a better deal through psa.
Exactly, mystery barrel vs PSA FN barrel

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have a sota upper in the x39. Never had any issues from it, even shooting suppressed. I would buy another from them