Socks!

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
I believe this is the single least talked about part of prepping

If the feet aren't happy.. You ain't going anywhere.

My choice of socks for out of doors adventures go to darn tough of out of new England somewhere. They are more stiff than smart wools, but yet made out of the same merino wool. Tighter woven... And look almost new after 2 years of almost daily wear. (I hate socks BTW, so if I am wearing shoes and socks... You are goddamn right I am gonna be sporting some wool)

What other brands (aside from smart wool) do you recommend?

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I don't worry about socks unless I'm somewhere much colder than Georgia. I've never needed good socks here. If I'm somewhere cold 100 percent wool socks are the only way to go but they are becoming hard to find.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
For running, Feetures are pretty decent, but Smartwool is the top of the pile in my book. Darn Tough are ok, but play second fiddle to smart wool. Nothing beats wool for any season. It's simply the best fiber to use for socks.

Reactions: Patryn
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
For running, Feetures are pretty decent, but Smartwool is the top of the pile in my book. Darn Tough are ok, but play second fiddle to smart wool. Nothing beats wool for any season. It's simply the best fiber to use for socks.
What is the advantage of wool in warm weather? I know Nothing beats it for it's warmth when wet but but haven't noticed a need when it's not cold

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
What is the advantage of wool in warm weather? I know Nothing beats it for it's warmth when wet but but haven't noticed a need when it's not cold
It stays dry, cool, and doesn't rub and create blisters like cotton. Cooler and drier than cotton essentially. Less chance of athletes foot, blisters, etc etc. They also have a bit of cushion that cotton doesn't have. Also durability. I'm hard on socks, and wool wears like iron.

You can't beat them for splitting wood or road racing a half marathon. Just choose the appropriate weight.

Reactions: madHatter

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Strange seeing this reminded me of Nam, most important thing was to have a clean, dry, pair of socks..And get laid in Bangkok when on R&R

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
Good socks are one thing I'm pretty anal about. I have a good pair of socks stashed in about 10 different places that I can think of off the top of my head.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA

+ 2 to smart wool. Been around the world and back and still use them.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I find that the Army issue socks are pretty good year round, down here. At Ft. McCoy WI, in the winter I had to have thicker socks or double up. Also foot powder makes a huge differance in keeping your feet happy.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I have not tried Smart Wool, but I do wear almost exclusively Thorlos thick pad hiking socks. Although the five year old pairs are about toast now. Finally wore through the soles. They are slowly getting tossed in the trash. Most of them are still fine, but that's the only birthday present I ask for- so I get three or four new pairs a year.

Sounds like I should try a pair of the Smart Wool socks before I keep replacing the Thorlos.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Socks are not just for feet! In a pinch you could make a crude weapon by filling a sock with some rocks and you have an instant bludgeoning tool!

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I have not tried Smart Wool, but I do wear almost exclusively Thorlos thick pad hiking socks. Although the five year old pairs are about toast now. Finally wore through the soles. They are slowly getting tossed in the trash. Most of them are still fine, but that's the only birthday present I ask for- so I get three or four new pairs a year.

Sounds like I should try a pair of the Smart Wool socks before I keep replacing the Thorlos.

If you don't like em, I want them. Lol

Reactions: dial1911

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I would. I honestly can't stand Thorlo's. They don't hold a candle to Smartwool.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Tried to buy a pair of Smart Wool at Academy today. They had a thick cushion trekking sock, but only in a large. That's what they called a 9 to 11.5 USA Mens shoe size- not going to work. I've got to find someplace to order an XL online. Shouldn't be hard to find.