So is it allowed or not?

American Revival Apparel Company
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
19. Posts concerning politics &/or civil liberties issues should be confined to the forum we have dedicated to those topics, which can be found near the top of the forum index. Please do not argue these topics elsewhere on the site.

Above is what the rule says about politics and/or civil liberties. Since my post was just removed, could we have a little clarification on this? Maybe it would help all of us to know where the line is on this. I did not bash an individual or a party. I basically just said that they all don't amount to much and the post is removed. I am not in a snit or anything. Just curious how the decission is made. Thanks.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bigdogdaddy said:
19. Posts concerning politics &/or civil liberties issues should be confined to the forum we have dedicated to those topics, which can be found near the top of the forum index. Please do not argue these topics elsewhere on the site.

Above is what the rule says about politics and/or civil liberties. Since my post was just removed, could we have a little clarification on this? Maybe it would help all of us to know where the line is on this. Some people slam individual politicians and nothing happens. I basically say that they all don't amount to much and mine gets removed. I am not in a snit or anything. Just curious how the decission is made. Thanks.
The rule that was quoted is ancient and there is no longer a forum for that sort of posting. That was dropped a couple of years ago in the old forum and was not replaced when this one took over for the old forum.

I'll PM the admin about removing the obsolete rule.

Thanks.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
The old Elsie Pea Forum did have a very active (lump-it-all-together) Political section in the months after the 2008 presidential election. Lots of interesting personalities including the infamous Dr Scooter really got into it. Usually after reading the second sentence of a twelve paragraph dissertation... I just got lost in the verbiage.

Lots of timeouts (to cool down) were administered and the section was finally eliminated as being a nuisance and distraction. We're a gun forum. There's plenty of other more appropriate places to spew political doctrine.

With that being said, we may be a little too gunshy. At a certain point, politics are as much a part of guns as shooting and cleaning techniques.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Politics definitely has a place in a gun forum. Several comments during the last election should serve as an obvious warning that more trouble lies ahead.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I believe the issue is how quickly contributor restraint and mutual respect get lost in comments.

I can't argue with a "better safe than sorry" administrative approach in this regard. We can deal with "What Is." far better than predicting any political intentions or doctrines. That's where it always seems to go wrong.

End of my "political" contribution.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I seen a gun forum with a political section. Just brain dead stuff sell all you guns now while you can mumbo jumbo. Nothing really constructive. Would be nice to find a political forum that actually had intelligent postings in it, if thats possible just to see what people are saying, I vote and keep up best I can but I am not a big political follower.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Might as well have a section for religion too. That way people can argue about politics and religion, where there are no winners. Even if you think this group might be civil, I pretty much guarantee you that someone will come in, if not already here and help destroy a forum. That happened on the Seecamp Forum. I go there every once in a while, but not too much now due to the political discussions and discourse. Not fun for me to go to a gun forum and see 80% of the post, sometimes more on political stuff. To each their own, but a big turn off for me

R

rayzer007

lws380 said:
Might as well have a section for religion too. That way people can argue about politics and religion, where there are no winners. Even if you think this group might be civil, I pretty much guarantee you that someone will come in, if not already here and help destroy a forum. That happened on the Seecamp Forum. I go there every once in a while, but not too much now due to the political discussions and discourse. Not fun for me to go to a gun forum and see 80% of the post, sometimes more on political stuff. To each their own, but a big turn off for me

I agree with you Doug. Why go there, when there's a chance for disaster. We've got it very nice here right now. I'd rather have the ship run too tight, than open the door to eventual problems. Besides, most of our politics will agree; and us old farts aren't likely to be swayed anywhere else at this point.

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
The forum staff will be discussing this issue and we'll let y'all know the final outcome. For now, this thread will be closed.

Skip - for the mods & admins

Status
Not open for further replies.