Small(er) guns and newbies (especially women)

Faktory 47

Kennydale

Hunter
Oct 22, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
My wife wanted to learn to shoot, and she thought she wanted this CUTE RASPBERRY RUGER LCP
kennydale-albums-ruger-sr40c-3-speed-holster-picture138257-lcp-aa.jpg

Well it kicked like a mule. The slide cut her finger. So I sought out professional training for her from a woman instructor. Now she has a Glock G26.

Jumping forward a year my 18 year old grandaughter wanted to learn to shoot. This time I played it smart and started her on a rented .22 Pistol. After her shooting 50 rounds very well. I asked her if she wanted to try one of my 9mm glocks. I started her on the G19. (Yes I Consider That A Compact Firearm)

My grand LOVED it and shot it very well.

I think that some people think anything diminutive ( as in firearms ) Is automatically easily shot.
. I feel the opposite.

Reactions: 3 people

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I've been in gun shops when the employee is pushing small guns on females. I think it's a huge mistake. Smaller guns may look less intimidating or something, but they are definitely harder to shoot. At least to shoot well.

Kennydale

Hunter
Oct 22, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
I was at a range demo last November. I had a chance to shoot a STL 1911 in 9mm. Really only shot a 1911 once before (.45ACP) That was really a smooth shooting firearm. I'd love to tryout the Browning 380 1911 !

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Lots of women carry in their purse. That allows them to carry a larger gun. Their pockets are made differently from men's pockets, they are generally shorter than men's pockets.

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
I am just happy that my wife can shoot and carry although we have to get her permit updated soon. I think more women should carry and know how to use a gun. Pepper spray at the least is a good weapon but a woman confident in her ability to shoot in a bad situation would be better prepared.

Reactions: 4 people

SlowBurn

Scout
Dec 12, 2013
Southwest Florida
Revolvers may be the most reliable, but slightly larger 380 semis might hit the sweet spot for many ladies. Kahr CT380, Glock 42, Ruger LC380. etc. I think manufacturers actually had the female market in mind when they brought these out. Ads were directed that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
I think 380s are geared for woman, but I have also seen woman that carry 40cal and 9mm. I think choose the gun you are comfortable with.