SKS ammo

Faktory 47

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I picked up a Chinese SKS not to long ago. I picked up some 7.62 X 39 ammo at wallmart for $4.97 a box of 20 that's $.40 a round.
Checking around on the internet I can't find it any cheaper, Has any one found it any cheaper any place.
I shoot 5 rounds to see if it shoots and it seams OK. So I picked up 200 rounds to check it out.
Any one have any feed back?

RICHGCOOP

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
1000rds of Tula polycoated steel 7.62x39 for $250 at Walmart is just a about as good of a deal as you'll find for that particular ammo at most online ammo places. Sometimes you'll see it for cheaper w/ shipping included online but usually only if you buy a very large amount. The Walmart price is of course irrespective of quantity which is nice. I maintain a few thousand rounds by having my wife pick up a 20rd box on her weekly Walmart run. I've never had any issue with Tula from Wmart through my Arsenal SGL.

redden68

Hunter
Jun 30, 2012
Austin, TX
Find the cheapest, steel cased Russian ammo you can find. That's what the SKS was made to shoot. Check SG Ammo. Good prices, cheaper shipping than most. It's a family run place in Stillwater AR.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
002.jpg

Too bad you've missed the glut of Czech 7.62X39 in zink lined crates. All I have to offer is this; http://ammoseek.com/

Watch for tracers and blanks.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I bought 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger from SGAmmo for about $240 shipped with an ammo can. Still not a huge savings over what you are getting at Walmart.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
BubbaDX said:
I bought 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger from SGAmmo for about $240 shipped with an ammo can. Still not a huge savings over what you are getting at Walmart.

not a bad deal though considering the included ammo can.

i think gold tiger is lacquer coated instead of poly like the wmart stuff. I don't think it makes much difference but there does seem to be a small premium added for poly coated ammo vs lacquer.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I have about 1500 rounds of Barnaul 123 grain fmj laquered. Works great. Bought it from my cousin...who also sold me the rifle. I paid him $300. for the ammo...but ...he's my cousin. Love the rifle. (this is Russian ammo)

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I've shot buckets of lacquered and poly coated ammo and I, my rifle, and my cleaning kit can't tell the difference.

D

Denny4kids

I don't think just buying the cheapest ammo is the way to go. Even if you are going to just plink with it you may as well find out which ammo your rifle likes. Your SKS may surprise you with haw accurate it can be with the right cheap ammo.
I found this out with one of my AK's. Some ammo would shoot 6 inch groups and the ammo it liked (silver bear) shot 1.5 inch groups. That was with a red dot sight. Den

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Golden Tiger and Silver Bear both shoot good in my SKS and AK...... :D

I have not had a problem at all with these rounds.... ;D

They were $210 per 1000 delivered a few years ago.... :)