Side charging AR uppers?

Howard Law

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So im going to be slowly building an AR here while im waiting on my Form 1 and was curious whats up with side charging uppers. They look dope, they seem ergo friendly in that you dont have to remove your face to charge the rifle, and that motion is more natural for me than to pull my hand soooo far back from shooting position to charge it.

I found this Gibbz Arms that looks nice, is non reciprocating, and uses a standard bolt, carrier, buffer etc.
https://gibbzarms.com/product/g4-side-charging-upper-receiver/

It seems kinda pricey but idk what a normal upper costs really. Ive never bought a stripped one. Does anyone have any experience with this style upper? Thoughts?

Oh yeah and I plan to suppress this rifle, will this upper be ok for that? It appears the gas will be contained like normal since its non reciprocating and there is no open area other than the standard ejection port. Anything else I should consider? I kind of dont like that there is no dust cover...

Oh and for the AR gurus, can someone explain these like im 5 please?

"* Upper not compatible with hand guards featuring anti-rotation tabs without modification. *"

"IMPORTANT!! You MUST use the G4 Enhanced Cam Pin in the G4 Side Charging Uppers!
Use of a Standard Cam Pin will cause the Bolt Carrier Group to lock up in the G4 Upper Receiver and be VERY difficult to remove and could damage the Upper Receiver."

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 11.11.10 AM.png

Last edited:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Not guru... but will share:

"* Upper not compatible with hand guards featuring anti-rotation tabs without modification. *"

I think this means the "tabs" on the top of (usually railed) handguards won't slip over the top front of this proprietary upper.

The "tabs" are usually those little pieces of rail that extend over the upper so it looks like a long, one piece rail- instead of an upper and a handguard.

"IMPORTANT!! You MUST use the G4 Enhanced Cam Pin in the G4 Side Charging Uppers!
Use of a Standard Cam Pin will cause the Bolt Carrier Group to lock up in the G4 Upper Receiver and be VERY difficult to remove and could damage the Upper Receiver."

The cam pin is the thing that "sticks out" of the left side of the bolt carrier. It rides in a "track" in the inside of a standard AR upper receiver. The "track" is in about the same location as that side charging handle, so I bet they had to use a modified cam pin to work with their upper.

That's about all I know.

SECOND EDIT: Looks like "anti-rotation" tabs have evolved a bit since my last rail purchase... they can be extensions on both sides of the handguard that "cup" the sides of the upper receiver. I'm guessing that due to this upper's unique profile, not all of these tabs will clear their upper. No big deal- just apply Dremel as required then Sharpie to match surrounding metal.

EDIT: I just looked at their website. It appears the side charging handle is going stick out of the back of the upper receiver when you operate it- so I'm afraid it's still going to hit you in the face.

(Note: the previous sentence was total speculation on my part- I've never even seen one of those uppers in person. But knowing how far the BCG has to move to cycle, and how long that piece of flat bar is behind the operating handle... it's going to stick you in the face).

Last edited:
Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Not guru... but will share:

I think this means the "tabs" on the top of (usually railed) handguards won't slip over the top front of this proprietary upper.

The "tabs" are usually those little pieces of rail that extend over the upper so it looks like a long, one piece rail- instead of an upper and a handguard.

The cam pin is the thing that "sticks out" of the left side of the bolt carrier. It rides in a "track" in the inside of a standard AR upper receiver. The "track" is in about the same location as that side charging handle, so I bet they had to use a modified cam pin to work with their upper.

That's about all I know.

SECOND EDIT: Looks like "anti-rotation" tabs have evolved a bit since my last rail purchase... they can be extensions on both sides of the handguard that "cup" the sides of the upper receiver. I'm guessing that due to this upper's unique profile, not all of these tabs will clear their upper. No big deal- just apply Dremel as required then Sharpie to match surrounding metal.

EDIT: I just looked at their website. It appears the side charging handle is going stick out of the back of the upper receiver when you operate it- so I'm afraid it's still going to hit you in the face.

(Note: the previous sentence was total speculation on my part- I've never even seen one of those uppers in person. But knowing how far the BCG has to move to cycle, and how long that piece of flat bar is behind the operating handle... it's going to stick you in the face).
I think i know the tabs theyre talking about now. Theyre on those fancy rails that hug the upper kind of to look tacticool.

Regarding the enhanced cam pin, I wonder what its doing differently, because that could deter me from this upper. Ill have to look further into that.
[DOUBLEPOST=1467221507][/DOUBLEPOST]

this is probably the case but would still have to move out of the way far less if anything.

Reactions: dial1911

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I think side charging is cool and all but I have two issues with them.

1) I try to keep my ARs similar to other ARs so that if for some reason I have to use a different rifle ITS basically the same as mine. "Battlefield pickup" mentality.

2) when slung the side charger could get hung up on kit and pull the rifle out of battery.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I think side charging is cool and all but I have two issues with them.

1) I try to keep my ARs similar to other ARs so that if for some reason I have to use a different rifle ITS basically the same as mine. "Battlefield pickup" mentality.

2) when slung the side charger could get hung up on kit and pull the rifle out of battery.
I get the similarity thing. Not a huge deal for me. Not like I really charge an AR but once in a while. After once it's just hiring the release after a new mag is in.

Couldn't this happen with a standard CH though? Same side of gun and everything. Only difference I can think of is maybe the side charging handle doesn't "lock" like a standard CH?

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I get the similarity thing. Not a huge deal for me. Not like I really charge an AR but once in a while. After once it's just hiring the release after a new mag is in.

Couldn't this happen with a standard CH though? Same side of gun and everything. Only difference I can think of is maybe the side charging handle doesn't "lock" like a standard CH?

1) if you have a jam or some sort of malfunction then remedial actions need be applied.

2) you are correct, however the side charging handle is larger and protrudes further.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
You don't use the charging handle that often. In any reload situation, the bolts either locked back or behind a chambered round, neither situation requires it to be messed with.

The only time I use it is the clear a malfunction or the first shot in a string, I don't do either while trying to maintain cheek weld.

A normal upper costs between $50-100 depending on brand.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
1) if you have a jam or some sort of malfunction then remedial actions need be applied.

2) you are correct, however the side charging handle is larger and protrudes further.
1. still though, the difference is motion is nominal to me
2. this makes sense though, i just took a look and found a view from above and realized it is in fact very large and sticks out a ton. this isnt a complete turnoff for me though

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
You don't use the charging handle that often. In any reload situation, the bolts either locked back or behind a chambered round, neither situation requires it to be messed with.

The only time I use it is the clear a malfunction or the first shot in a string, I don't do either while trying to maintain cheek weld.

A normal upper costs between $50-100 depending on brand.
Im thinking the same thing.

Damn didnt know they were that cheap. Thats a big ass jump to $250

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
You can get a complete Aero upper, with the FA and dust cover installed for $79, BCM runs about $100.
Yeah im considering options now. I need to also decide how I plan on preparing for the can that will basically live on this rifle. Adjustable gas block, adj upper (like the WAR), or one of those barrels Darthvader got for his that has a smaller gas hole. So I will have to make up my mind before ordering anything. Just really liked the idea of a side charger. Might not be worth much more than being cool to look at. idk yet

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm pretty much opposed to any type of retro-fitting, etc when it comes to altering the function of a purpose developed design. I really like my firearms to be singularly purpose built and engineered from the ground floor to fruition.

I won't be buying one.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
It's awful spendy for moving a lever forward 6".
Thats why I asked it here lol. I knew one of you would dumb this down for me into a direct correlation between actual minimal difference and money. My brain is trying to justify it because its cool to me haha

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Thats why I asked it here lol. I knew one of you would dumb this down for me into a direct correlation between actual minimal difference and money. My brain is trying to justify it because its cool to me haha

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think I build you a retrofit using a piece of tubing, some zip ties, and an op rod that will whack the existing charging handle...

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
ADCOR BEAR, front side charge handle for clearing

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I've never seen the appeal of these at 2.5x the cost of a standard stripped upper. Your money, though - spend it the way you want.

Also it takes a special type of kit interference to yank a standard charging handle out of battery with the locking mechanism. Not likely but possible I guess.

In the normal course of shooting, I typically use the charging handle once and then revert to the mag release to let the bolt fall on a new mag.

As I said before, if it's your thing then by all means.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
ADCOR BEAR, front side charge handle for clearing
This thing is something else. Very cool technology but entirely more money than what I'm looking for. Also more proprietary parts than I care for. But cool nonetheless

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
This thing is something else. Very cool technology but entirely more money than what I'm looking for. Also more proprietary parts than I care for. But cool nonetheless

Cool to go to their site and watch the one handed full auto, no climbing of weapon.