Shooting with a baby

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So I have a 1 year old. I was out shooting a couple weeks ago and started thinking about what I would do if I needed to use my weapon while holding my son.

Obviously this is an absolute worst case scenario but something I realized I hadn't really ever thought about or trained for.

So I grabbed on of my sons stuffed animals and held it in my left arm like I hold my son (always try and keep my gun hand free) and practiced putting my body between my "son" and the target while drawing and moving.

I learned that my one hand game is weak as fuck and a lot of the one handed techniques I've practiced in the past are significantly more difficult trying to keep the "baby" behind me.

Have any of you other parents ever thought about this or practiced this situation?

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
TheSmiley-AnArmoredBabyStroller2013Edition-copyright--RFX.jpg

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Would it be feasible to get the baby behind cover and then aquire the target. Obviously if there is not a quick and safe place to get to this would be an issue, but I feel would be the best alternative.

Though working on single hand draw and acquiring the target is something everybody should train for even with it a kid. The chance that you have something in your opposing hand and it would be quicker to draw before dropping the item could be likely.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Putting him down may be an option but he is walking and crawling and I would be afraid when he got scared he would come right back to me putting him and me in more danger.

The "drill" if I could even call it that was the target about 5-10 feet away. I would turn putting my body between the target and the stuffed animal, draw and fire while moving away toward what I would hope would be cover.

Obviously this is a worst case, when I have my wife or trusted friend with me it would be a different situation.

I just think for those of us with small children that can't be dropped like groceries or something it's something to think about.

Reactions: Cudruln

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
throw high up in the air, draw on said perp with a double tap ,then catch baby on the downswing.

seriously though never thought about this one. My kids grown.

Reactions: AtlMedic

great dane

Woodsman
Jul 28, 2015
S.W. Ga
Zip code
Putting him down may be an option but he is walking and crawling and I would be afraid when he got scared he would come right back to me putting him and me in more danger.

The "drill" if I could even call it that was the target about 5-10 feet away. I would turn putting my body between the target and the stuffed animal, draw and fire while moving away toward what I would hope would be cover.

Obviously this is a worst case, when I have my wife or trusted friend with me it would be a different situation.

I just think for those of us with small children that can't be dropped like groceries or something it's something to think about.
Definitely thinking ahead for all/ any possibilities. Shining some light on a topic very few talk/think about

Reactions: AtlMedic

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I would think if you are in that situation you would probably be in a parking lot or some other area like that. I think I would focus first on getting to cover.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I would think if you are in that situation you would probably be in a parking lot or some other area like that. I think I would focus first on getting to cover.

I agree. I was thinking more of the hypothetical absolute worst case scenario. Even without the baby getting away from the threat is the number 1 priority.