Serious fault found with Galloway Precision trigger kit for LC9

Howard Law

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Compact Carry Forum management does not approve, endorse or recommend ANY modifications to a firearm that would affect, change, or remove any safety feature or function on that firearm. Firearm owners should also be aware that making any modifications to a firearm not only may void the firearm manufacturer's warranty but may expose the shooter and others to unwarranted safety hazards. Firearm owners must be aware that they will likely be held liable for any consequences arising from modifying their firearms.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SAFETY INFORMATION SAFETY INFORMATION SAFETY INFORMATION SAFETY INFORMATION

Folks, please check out this post from our "old" forum.

It seems that, based on information in the included video, with the installation of the Galloway Precision trigger kit for the LCP LC9 (which shortens the trigger pull), the hammer is also short-stroked. It would be possible for this to cause a failure to fire, especially if primers used in the ammunition are harder than average.

Note: I had mistakenly thought the video was of an LCP. I corrected the thread title, location, and text in this post.

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
Skip the LC9 has the short stroked hammer.
The LCP's hammer and transfer bar are not altered. The trigger pull on the LCP has the same pull weight and sear engagement as stock. I have only seen this put to the test on youtube and not in person though. I installed my Sweet Pea Trigger my self and my finger cannot discern any difference in the pull force required.

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
Just visited back to the RTK site. The LC9 Tactical model is the one that must use the modified transfer bar and hammer. They also have the RTK Short Stroke trigger that is essentially the same as the LCP trigger. The modded transfer bar is NOT recomended although the Galloway modded hammer can be used. ... more to look into.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I see now that the video was for the LC9 and not the LCP. Obviously, I made a mistake with the model involved.

I will edit the first post of this thread and move the thread to the 9mm section. Regardless of which pistol is involved, the reduced hammer travel is still a very bad thing in my opinion, especially for a self-defense weapon.

Thanks for the heads-up, Indigowolf.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Gotta agree Here Skip. I think that Ruger put some excellent thought into the trigger on both the LC9, and the LCP. It is no accident that they have a longer pull. Like you said..these are defensive ...cc..weapons. They are not range guns (no matter how much I use the 9 AS a range gun as much as I do.) I think that it is fine to teek the trigger on a 1911, or a great little mark II, or a mark III...but not on these two CC guns. Just my thoughts. You paid for em guys...guess you can do as you wish..

M

mukwah

I have watched this argument go back and forth on this forum and other forums and have so far not joined in for a reason. As Craig said, you paid for it do what you want to do to it! The LC series weapons are designed for a specific purpose, Lightweight, Compact, easy to conceal defensive weapons! With that being said I find it hard to believe that every aspect of its internal components were not as well thought out and planned as well as their external components were. If one familiarizes himself with this weapon and trains and practices with it then it will serve it's purpose adequately as is.JMHO!