Zip code
+1 for the Mossberg 930

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I guess the question should have been asked, what do you plan to do with it?

You certainly won't get the same recommendations for home defense that you will get for say bird or trap. When you say 12 gauge, the first thing that pops in to my head is sporting clays.

Reactions: PewPewPewCo

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Depends what you want to do. For trap and skeet I hate mossbergs. I use a Winchester sx3 or sx2 I can't recall at the moment.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
For upland bird hunting you wont' beat Franchi AL48's. As light or lighter than a Beretta 391, and those ounces matter when you're walking 6-8 miles a day through grass and milo stubble.

Trap - Browning BT99 (not auto)

Sporting Clays - Beretta 391 Sporting

Defense - any Mossturd or Remington

If you're shooting trap, you'll definitely need a shotgun designed for the sport as they are mostly 60/40 guns, meaning that 60% of the shot will go above the centerline of the bore and 40% below building in a lead since you are shooting a rising target. They will also have a high comb that is meant to be mounted prior to the targets being released. If you shoot sporting clays with a trap gun you're going to be black and blue in the face from the comb knocking the shit out of you. If you use a field gun or sporting clays gun, you'll have to cover your target to hit it (ie, shoot without seeing your target). Not the best option.

Reactions: DoglegArms

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
For upland bird hunting you wont' beat Franchi AL48's. As light or lighter than a Beretta 391, and those ounces matter when you're walking 6-8 miles a day through grass and milo stubble.

If you're shooting trap, you'll definitely need a shotgun designed for the sport as they are mostly 60/40 guns, meaning that 60% of the shot will go above the centerline of the bore and 40% below building in a lead since you are shooting a rising target. They will also have a high comb that is meant to be mounted prior to the targets being released. If you shoot sporting clays with a trap gun you're going to be black and blue in the face from the comb knocking the shit out of you. If you use a field gun or sporting clays gun, you'll have to cover your target to hit it (ie, shoot without seeing your target). Not the best option.
Now I remember why I haven't bought a nice shotgun. This shit is too complicated.

Reactions: Leshaire

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Sporting clays. Trap and skeet too.
In my opinion, there is nothing better than the old Remington 1100s for this. I paid like $400 for mine and I'd take it shooting clays over just about anything else I've ever shot.

I can go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds and it doesn't fatigue or bruise my shoulder at all. About 75-100 rounds in with my Beretta and I'm feeling it. My buddy has the really fancy Beretta with kickoff and the 1100 still feels smoother to me. He had his rehearsal dinner at a place with sporting clays and 5 stand. We shot up several thousand rounds that night. I probably put 500 through the remington and felt like I could do 500 more.

Reactions: DoglegArms

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I second the 1100 or 1187 premier option. Only "maintenance" is the rubber o-ring. Also, I just had to fix my buddies after 12 years of shooting (the forearm support broke), $12 part, and had it back together in no time. Pretty good considering he had shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through it with no issues and judging by how nasty it was inside, he never cleaned it...lol

Tearing them completely down minus the FCG (no need to ever take it apart) is a breeze too.

Lastly, they look great and feel great to shoot all day.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I second the 1100 or 1187 premier option. Only "maintenance" is the rubber o-ring. Also, I just had to fix my buddies after 12 years of shooting (the forearm support broke), $12 part, and had it back together in no time. Pretty good considering he had shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through it with no issues and judging by how nasty it was inside, he never cleaned it...lol

Tearing them completely down minus the FCG (no need to ever take it apart) is a breeze too.

Lastly, they look great and feel great to shoot all day.
You don't have to clean them. And I've found that if you don't take them apart and clean them, you don't have to worry about that o ring either. Seems repeated cleaning dries them out.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code

The 391 Sporting is my other clays gun and I still think the 1100 is better hands down. At least I shoot it better, but that may just be because it's so much smoother and the recoil is lighter.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
In my opinion, there is nothing better than the old Remington 1100s for this. I paid like $400 for mine and I'd take it shooting clays over just about anything else I've ever shot.

I can go out and shoot a couple hundred rounds and it doesn't fatigue or bruise my shoulder at all. About 75-100 rounds in with my Beretta and I'm feeling it. My buddy has the really fancy Beretta with kickoff and the 1100 still feels smoother to me. He had his rehearsal dinner at a place with sporting clays and 5 stand. We shot up several thousand rounds that night. I probably put 500 through the remington and felt like I could do 500 more.
What length is yours? Price is right even NIB. I'm kinda surprised.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
You don't have to clean them. And I've found that if you don't take them apart and clean them, you don't have to worry about that o ring either. Seems repeated cleaning dries them out.
Meh, I still clean them. The o-ring doesn't get cleaned, just wiped off with a dry rag. The rest of the shotgun gets cleaned up, but the do wear out sometimes, especially if you shoot hot loads alot. Also, the barrel has the portion of it that the bolt locks into. The outer portion of it rests against the inside of the receiver. If you don't clean/lube that area occasionally, its almost certainly going to rust. Especially if you do dove/quail hunts and get caught in some rain. Also, if you get alot of carbon buildup on the magazine tube, you can use 0000 steel wool to get it off and back cycling smooth again.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Meh, I still clean them. The o-ring doesn't get cleaned, just wiped off with a dry rag. The rest of the shotgun gets cleaned up, but the do wear out sometimes, especially if you shoot hot loads alot. Also, the barrel has the portion of it that the bolt locks into. The outer portion of it rests against the inside of the receiver. If you don't clean/lube that area occasionally, its almost certainly going to rust. Especially if you do dove/quail hunts and get caught in some rain. Also, if you get alot of carbon buildup on the magazine tube, you can use 0000 steel wool to get it off and back cycling smooth again.
The last time I did clean and oil one was after a morning of sporting clays where we got caught in the rain. It was not my gun, so I gave it a good once over. Other than that, I usually just do an oily rag wipe down. Mine aren't exactly beauty queens, but they're nice.

Reactions: Wallace

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
What length is yours? Price is right even NIB. I'm kinda surprised.
There's no NIB with 1100s. You want one from the 70s or 80s. They're pretty much a dime a dozen. I picked my last one up on ODT right before the great SET migration.

You're welcome to try mine any time. We are pretty far apart, but hopefully I'll be getting that can from you before too long.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Remy 1100
Mossberg 930
Remy 11-87
I picked up a new never shot Mossberg 1000 in 20ga. It's the same as S&W 1000 and is extremely light hardly no recoil and its a blast to shoot. We take double and triple thrown clay pigeons out with it all the time.