Scouting for .22LR ammo...

American Revival Apparel Company

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
I've been making the rounds to the LGS's these past couple weekends. I've been pleasantly surprised that the ammo is coming back into stock. Three of the four stores had 22's on their shelves. Here is what I found...

Store 1 ... 30.2 miles from my home
.22 long / HV / CCI / box of 100 / $10.00 ea / 10 on display no limit
Store 2 ... 32.6 miles from my home
.22 long rifle / HV / CCI / box of 100 / $11.95 ea / 5 on display no limit
.22 long rifle / Varmint HE / Winchester / box of 50 / $9.87 ea / 20+ on display no limit
Store 3 ... 13.2 miles from my home
.22 long rifle / Gold Medal Target / Federal premium / box of 50 / $4.99 ea / 100+ on display limit of 5 per day per person
Stores 4/5 ... Walmart 3.? and 6.? miles from my home
Zip ... nothing

Because of the deep need to go punch paper, I spent my money on the standard velocity Federals and brought home five boxes. There were several other shooters there feeling like me that "some were better than none", having not been able to find anything locally in a long time. I'm quite sure the last brick of 22's I bought was just under $20 and at the time I thought that was high. Having picked up my first 22 rimfire rifle in almost 10 years last December and doing all the necessary mods since then, I'm feeling good about at least getting my hands on enough ammo to seriously see what&how my rifle will shoot&group.

D

Denny4kids

That's great you found some ammo. You sound like me looking for 12 gauge slugs for 3gun practice.

Your post title brings back a good memory. A month ago I hooked up some Scouts with some ammo for a merit badge. I used to teach that one. Their adult wanted to pay me but after 3 young men looked me in the eye and said thanks and gave me a firm handshake I couldn't accept any money. Denny

M

mukwah

Re: Scouting for .22LR ammo...

Haven't made any rounds lately cause I'm in pretty good shape, but my gun buds say you can find just about anything you need in my area if you get an early start. Good sign!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Can somebody post a picture of what a 22 long rifle round looks like? I can't remember. Joking aside, many of the stores around me don't even have .22 shorts in stock.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Scouting for .22LR ammo...

The range at Cherry Creek State Park had a 4 box limit yesterday on standard and high velocity CCI. It was around $3.75 a box.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
The shelves around here remain dismally empty when I walk by. I've come to take that as a sign that the clerks are watching when I walk in. They then immediately pull all the stockk ammo I am looking for. Just a very bad joke on me and nothing more! :eek:

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
I'm really happy to find ANY 22 ammo in the stores. A larger selection of the standard velocity target fodder would thrill me. Prices would then be a little more in line with where they should as well.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code

Walmart tonite only had shotgun shells no handgun ammunition.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

R

rayzer007

Nomad said:
RICHGCOOP said:
Walmart tonite only had shotgun shells no handgun ammunition.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

I am afraid this shortage is going to last way longer than year. I don't see it getting any better.

I see the prices skyrocketing shortly.

Ray

M

mukwah

The Walmart Super Center closest to me has not had any ammo since Sandy Hook! Now at Academy here you can just about anything you want if you get there early enough! Go figure????

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Maybe this will be like the gas shortage in the 70's. Remember the lines? As soon as gas hit $1.00 the shortage was gone and you could get all the gas you wanted.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code

Right now fin feather and fur has 22 mini mags for 12.99 a box.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

hoppy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2012
North Georgia
The ammo shortage will be over when all ammo dealers are able to maintain fully stocked shelves. If this is not possible, then either manufacturers will have to increase capacity or we will have to live with ammo shortages. Manufacturers were able to keep up with demand before the current situation. We now have a lot more .22 rifles and handguns that have been bought and a lot more people shooting .22. It will be interesting to see what happens. And yes, I am aware of manufacturers' hesitancy to invest in new machinery if the shortage is temporary.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
While I don't doubt your theory hoppy, I think the ongoing .22 shortage is because the ammo manufacturers make more margin on centerfire ammo so they are working harder at filling those orders. Just my opinion, which could be right or not even close. :D

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Indigowolf said:
I've been making the rounds to the LGS's these past couple weekends. I've been pleasantly surprised that the ammo is coming back into stock. Three of the four stores had 22's on their shelves. Here is what I found...

Store 1 ... 30.2 miles from my home
.22 long / HV / CCI / box of 100 / $10.00 ea / 10 on display no limit
Store 2 ... 32.6 miles from my home
.22 long rifle / HV / CCI / box of 100 / $11.95 ea / 5 on display no limit
.22 long rifle / Varmint HE / Winchester / box of 50 / $9.87 ea / 20+ on display no limit
Store 3 ... 13.2 miles from my home
.22 long rifle / Gold Medal Target / Federal premium / box of 50 / $4.99 ea / 100+ on display limit of 5 per day per person
Stores 4/5 ... Walmart 3.? and 6.? miles from my home
Zip ... nothing

Because of the deep need to go punch paper, I spent my money on the standard velocity Federals and brought home five boxes. There were several other shooters there feeling like me that "some were better than none", having not been able to find anything locally in a long time. I'm quite sure the last brick of 22's I bought was just under $20 and at the time I thought that was high. Having picked up my first 22 rimfire rifle in almost 10 years last December and doing all the necessary mods since then, I'm feeling good about at least getting my hands on enough ammo to seriously see what&how my rifle will shoot&group.

And maybe $25 for all the gas. :mad:

hoppy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2012
North Georgia
BDD - Good point. I see lots of theories on why we have seen these shortages. Maybe it's a combination of many of these. I don't know.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code

My theory on a shortage is so many new people are getting there CCW license and buy new pistols.
I was at Gander Mountain Buying 45 ACP ammo for my new Ripper 1911 and a lady asked me for some help on buying ammo. She told me her husband bought a nine millimeter and the 22 for them and send her out to buy ammo for them. I recommended the Blazer 9 millimeters be good for the 9 millimeter and I suggested the CCI mini mags for the 22 . She was only going to buy one box of each to try out and I suggested you get 3 boxes of the 22's they go quick so she did. I'm sure after they shoot them for the first time they will be stocking up and Stocking heavy and I think this is where the shortage is coming from because there's so many people doing that now days.

RICHGCOOP
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk