School me on shooting gloves

GA Firing Line

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Anyone use shooting gloves?

Which brand and why?

Reactions: HawtTimesGlobal

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I don't use them but I could understand someone that shot a lot in 1 sitting wouldn't want all the residue on the hands I guess.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
i use Outdoor research Firemark gloves. if you know anything about OR then you know the gloves are fucking awesome.

secondly. they are flame / fire retardant. and they are super comfortable for my hands.

did i mention that they are freakin awesome?
I've got two pair of the OR Suppressor gloves. They are extremely well made and usually what I wear when I'm running my rifles. But the leather palms and fingers make them a little less desirable for pistol work. They have a little less "feel", so mag changes & trigger contact aren't quite as good for me as the PIG Alphas. But the OR gloves are much more durable.

Eagle01

Scout
Aug 12, 2015
In my younger years I used to have much thicker skin on my hands (guess why) but now I just run standard mechanic gloves or TIG welding gloves. (BSX Firecat if it matters) I've found that when being more active in shooting than standing on a square range the benefits of not tearing my hands up on concrete/ dirt/ gravel/ etc outweigh the lack of "feel" (plus, I grew up welding and don't lose much dexterity with gloves on).

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I'll have to look into outdoor research. I will say I'm completely pissed with Camelbak's Nomex gloves. Stitching has completely come undone on both gloves in places. Not what I expect from $80 gloves.
OR makes some very high quality gloves. But they can be pricey. Keep an eye on Tactical Distributors and sign up for the newsletter. They run sales on them pretty often. The SKD PIG Alpha gloves are more affordable and are my go to gloves unless I'm running a rifle with suppressor. Then, I step up to heavier OR gloves for better protection. The PIG Alphas use a thinner material on the palm. It allows a better fit and trigger feel. (they don't call it a bareback feel for nothing) But it comes at the cost of less durability. Don't let that deter you though, I have two pair and have been running my original pair for over two years. I bought the second pair as a backup, but haven't needed to break them out yet.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
SKD PIG Full Dexterity Alpha gloves. Best shooting glove I've ever used. Better fit, dexterity and trigger feel than the mechanix gloves. They're the only glove that I can really shoot handguns with. Mild padding with Cordura on the back of the hand to protect from bumps and scratches. Extremely well made.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterity-Tactical-FDT-Alpha-Glove-p/pig.700.htm

I have a pair of the PIG gloves prior to the alpha touch models. They are excellent. The alpha models give touch screen ability for those that like to use their iPhones, etc. without having to remove the glove.

The fit is very nice and there is no "bunching" around the fingers.

Having said that - they are not the best for a cold day in a deer stand. Too thin. First hand experience here.

But for a full day carbine class in mild or hot weather, these are the best imo.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have some plain black 5.11 gloves I wear at work in cold weather that I shoot with from time to time so i am am a little familier with shooting with gloves on in the cold. For hunting I have some of the multicam mechanix gloves I wear liners under.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Gloves are for pussy's.
Total pussy right here.

67a60896a8b389a70c621ce56a3c17d2.jpg

Reactions: DarthVader

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
I use Mechanix gloves. I started using them just as general work gloves but I use them now to shoot with. I haven't used them in a class yet but I think they will hold up pretty well.

Evil 1

Frontiersman
May 11, 2015
Everywhere
I knew i get you ladies riled up.If your hunting thats one thing but to be tactical at the gun range is just ghey.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I only take one pair of gloves with me to the range and I don't actually wear them while shooting. They are welder gloves for removing a hot suppressor.