School me on barrel erosion

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
So does your barrel wear the same whether it is hot or not?

Do the 30 rounds after a mag dump wear the barrel faster than 30 cold shots?

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code

Good question!! In Nam the 50s barrels had to be changed after so many rounds due to warping. As far as your question, if only 30 rounds hot I would think, due to expansion of barrel from heat there would be less friction. On a cold barrel there would be more, but I have no Idea! Looking forward to the discussion on this topic. Thank Pimp Hat Man!

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
Id agree with DD, metal expands with heat so there should be less friction from the barrel

qodeBebop

Woodsman
Aug 5, 2015
NW Georgia
No clue but if I had to guess 30 rapid shots would be worse than 30 slow due to heat and throat erosion. I'm just gonna shoot mine fast when I need to or want to and replace it when the time comes.

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
Short answer is hot barrels erode faster. If I can figure out how to attach it I'll send a report on it that breaks down why.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I think this goes back to the barrel wear testing someone did to compare Wolf vs. "good" brass cased ammo. I remember one of the theories as to why the Wolf ammo was harder on the barrel involved the variance in projectile diameter. The argument was that smaller projectiles allowed hot gas to escape around the projectile, thereby accelerating barrel wear.

If the barrel steel expands, the projectile does not. This, in theory, allows gas to escape forward of the projectile similar to the Wolf argument above.

Reactions: EugenFJR

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I think this goes back to the barrel wear testing someone did to compare Wolf vs. "good" brass cased ammo. I remember one of the theories as to why the Wolf ammo was harder on the barrel involved the variance in projectile diameter. The argument was that smaller projectiles allowed hot gas to escape around the projectile, thereby accelerating barrel wear.

If the barrel steel expands, the projectile does not. This, in theory, allows gas to escape forward of the projectile similar to the Wolf argument above.

We don't need no engineering here. Either pull info out your rear or move on, this is the internets.

Reactions: dial1911

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Short answer is hot barrels erode faster. If I can figure out how to attach it I'll send a report on it that breaks down why.

Cool.

Hey, didn't know you were on this site.

Thanks for your response!

How's your daughter and her shooting exploits?

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

I also thought it had something to do w/ the steel cases ammo was "eating up" the throat, so much so, that around 5000 rounds, it was a "no-go" on the gauge, and the gun was shooting around 7-8 MOA (maybe worse) because of excessive wear at the throat and barrel. Its been awhile since I've seen that artical.

Last edited:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Heat will decrease a metals resistance to wear, no doubt. When you heat up your barrel through rapid fire, the throat will see the most erosion as it gets the hottest. I'd be more worried about throat erosion.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia

The hotter it is, the greater the wear.

Water jackets greatly preserve barrel life.

Also he polymer barre jacket(can't remember the name, but they make a jacket for the mosin) also pulls heat away and reduces speed of erosion

Last edited:

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

If you're referring to the lucky gunner test, it was determined that the mild steel jacket used in projectiles of the Wolf ammo caused greater wear.

Shrek926

Hunter
Mar 25, 2015
C'Vegas
Cool.

Hey, didn't know you were on this site.

Thanks for your response!

How's your daughter and her shooting exploits?
She's doing great, the youngest has joined her now. I now stay busy with them and life, and only drop by here on very rare occasions. (And other places never)

Reactions: dial1911