Savage project

GA Firing Line
M

mukwah

Ok, since I have a couple of months to wait on the hot bluing of the Marlin 336 barrel and reciever I decided to move on to my next project.
What I have is a Savage Model 6670 12 ga pump in pretty sad shape. She reminds me alot of the Marlin when I first started on it.
My plans are to remove the rust, chop the barrel, strip metal and wood and Duracoat in Combat Black. I also plan to install a bead front sight or maybe a fiber optic front sight.
The inards are pretty cruddy so that will need a lot of soaking and scrubbing.
I'm posting pics of what she looks like now and keep you guys posted on the progress.
uga5y6ud.jpg

yze7aja7.jpg

avepapeh.jpg

na3e7u9e.jpg

R

rayzer007

It will be fun to follow your progress Muk! This one looks challenging.

Ray

M

mukwah

OK, I 'm about half way through this project. Still have to do some more sanding and then seal the stock and fore end. Got the action cleaned up and it' s soaking in CLP. Chopped the barrel and drilled and tapped for front bead, still need to strip the bluing and brighten while waiting for my Dura Coat kit to come in.

R

rayzer007

Great start Muk; big difference with much progress already!

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I can definitely tell that you've been busy.

You know what might be fun is to buy or borrow some of the tools like my son uses and clean up the checkering on the stock. All you'd need is the final tools used in the process to clean up the grooves and make them look brand new.

My son has taught himself how to do essentially free-hand checkering to go along with his gunsmithing skills and he does a great job. He made me a rifle using a Mauser action and a Krieger barrel (he used to work for Krieger) that looks better than almost any factory-made rifle I have seen. The hand checkering he did is exquisite.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
rayzer007 said:
SkipD said:
The hand checkering he did is exquisite.

It would be nice to see a picture of that Skip, if you get a chance.

Ray
I'll try to get to that, Ray. Right now, though, my "photo studio" space is taken up with another project and will be for another three weeks or so. I have to share space in my basement shop and a "common space" in the basement among a lot of things that seem to fight for the space.

M

mukwah

SkipD said:
I can definitely tell that you've been busy.

You know what might be fun is to buy or borrow some of the tools like my son uses and clean up the checkering on the stock. All you'd need is the final tools used in the process to clean up the grooves and make them look brand new.

My son has taught himself how to do essentially free-hand checkering to go along with his gunsmithing skills and he does a great job. He made me a rifle using a Mauser action and a Krieger barrel (he used to work for Krieger) that looks better than almost any factory-made rifle I have seen. The hand checkering he did is exquisite.
I've thought about that Skip! I've got a few tools that I can use to just clean it up a bit. My original plan was to do the whole thing in Dura Coat Combat Black, but now I'm considering the stock and fore end in a dark stain and Tru Oil. Decisions, decisions!!
+1 on pics of that rifle!

M

mukwah

Update: Well tomorrow is paint day! Gonna do all my metal parts in Dura Coat Combat Black! Weather permitting! Pic is final fitting before painting and all systems are GO!
1024122010.jpg

M

mukwah

Painted today and all went great! I'm really loving that Dura Coat! So easy to use. It's all in the prep! Parts still hanging and drying but here's a sneak peak! Can't wait to out her back together!

M

mukwah

Correct Bigdog, mission accomplished! I'm gonna give the Dura Coat 2-3 days to set up good and then start reassembly. After that Dura Coat recommends 2-3 weeks for a full hardening to insure no chipping or cracking. Next up is the High Standard 22 Pump. I'll post before pics soon. Still waiting on the Marlin blueing, but that's gonna be awhile! 8)