Savage MSR Teaser

Howard Law

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
When I looked to purchase a precision AR in .308, side-charging was one of my criteria. Like the man said above, don't wanna have to take my eye off the scope to work the bolt.

I bought a JP Enterprises LRP-07 and ain't regretted it yet.

Savage's bolt actions are clunky, rattly, and loose.......cheap feeling. They have a fuck ton of improvement to do in their tolerances if they wanna make a good AR that runs and is accurate. For instance, the ejection port cover appears plastic on the MSR.

I damn hate the Accutrigger.

Personally this doesn't even quirk my eyebrow, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I'll be happy to shoot it and give an honest opinion. If it's a good gun, I'll endorse and recommend it.
Agreed on the accutrigger and overall cheap feel of their rifles. They've been skatting by on their floating bolt head and barrel nut for decades, and just adding some gimmicky improvements.

Reactions: cmshoot

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I know the M11/9 can be configured in either a top charge or side charge configuration. I am sure the AR platform could be easily modified to a side charging system. It will be an interesting release if it is not out of range price-wise

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I know the M11/9 can be configured in either a top charge or side charge configuration. I am sure the AR platform could be easily modified to a side charging system. It will be an interesting release if it is not out of range price-wise

There are numerous side-charging AR's on the market.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
There are numerous side-charging AR's on the market.
I wasn't sure but I thought there were. I am not sure exactly how the FCG will be on this. I have a Savage B-Mag and not too big of a fan of the Accu-Trigger.

Reactions: cmshoot

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Yes I have. Several. I've had more than one student show up to my school with one.

The Accustocks I've shot felt like cheap Tupperware. Like I said, I can't stand the feel of the Accutrigger. YMMV, that's my personal opinion on them.

Yes, Savages tend to shoot well, but no more so than Remington's, or Tikka's, or Ruger's that also show up in my classes.

You probably know way more about it than me so I'll cede to your judgment

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
You probably know way more about it than me so I'll cede to your judgment

It's more my personal opinion. If you like them......press on! I don't get bent out of shape when I have students show up with them as they are usually reliable and accurate.

When I say they feel cheap, that's definitely a personal opinion! Other folks say they don't, or that it doesn't bother them.

Reactions: Axeman

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
I think the "plastic ejection cover" is likely one of the snap-in type made by Strike Industries. Since it's not really a high-importance item I really don't care. Some AR's these days don't even have doors anymore.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I think the "plastic ejection cover" is likely one of the snap-in type made by Strike Industries. Since it's not really a high-importance item I really don't care. Some AR's these days don't even have doors anymore.

The steel dust cover is a $7 part from Colt, som I'm sure companies like DPMS sell them for much less. My concern is, if you're gonna cheap out on a $7 retail price part, where else did you cut corners?

Last edited:
Reactions: rOmiLaYu

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The aluminum dust cover is a $7 part from Colt, som I'm sure companies like DPMS sell them for much less. My concern is, if you're gonna cheap out on a $7 retail price part, where else did you cut corners?

Maybe they felt that there was no benefit to aluminum over plastic. It is an almost unnecessary part, especially on that style rifle.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
The aluminum dust cover is a $7 part from Colt, som I'm sure companies like DPMS sell them for much less. My concern is, if you're gonna cheap out on a $7 retail price part, where else did you cut corners?
Well, when I built my first two AR's (and the first ones I owned) I started from the ground up with good parts - like Aero Precision - but not necessarily name-brand parts. If I could save a few bucks on a door or a swivel I would too - but I spent the REAL money on my BCG, barrel, optics and rail system (in that order). Since the upper and lower were Mil-spec, anything beyond Mil-Spec was money wasted that I could put towards my 5R .223Wylde barrel. That is, until I upgraded to a Geissele SSA-E trigger.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
the article that one of the blogs stated that the side charger was only on the high end 308 version and not on the budget 308, budget 5.56, or high end 5.56 models. let me find the article.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Even a budget DPMS or S&W has a steel dust cover.

95% of armed U.S. professionals who are not in the military are issued sidearms containing large amounts of plastic.

Axeman

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Even a budget DPMS or S&W has a steel dust cover.
I recall the S&W M&P Sport has neither the door nor the bump, just a slick right side - easier to extrude, I guess...

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
95% of armed U.S. professionals who are not in the military are issued sidearms containing large amounts of plastic.

I'm perfectly aware of that. I've been an "armed U.S. professional" for nearly 28 years now. Some parts are plastic, but some are steel.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
the article that one of the blogs stated that the side charger was only on the high end 308 version and not on the budget 308, budget 5.56, or high end 5.56 models. let me find the article.

looks like truthaboutguns had to pull the article down. here is where it was but now the link is dead.

820e9762bd56be10f33ed79104a10023.jpg