Savage AXIS XP (Edge) .308 Win. caliber

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SavageArmsAxis308Rifle2.jpg

Since I bought the Argentine Mauser Model 1891 (Sporterized) Rifle, I needed to fee up some space. So I took one of my Mosin Nagants down to a local shop to have them do a consignment sale. A Savage Arms AXIS (Edge) XP, .308 Win Caliber.20” Rifle caught my eye.

Sticker Price: $389.99 after some negotiating the price went to $254.00 which means I got $135.00 for the Mosin Nagant. This package MRSPs for $500.00 but we know how that works.

SavageArmsAxis308Rifle7.jpg

The scope is a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9x 40. Some folk’s love’em some don’t. I’ll take her out for a range trip Thursday and see how it goes. If it doesn’t do the deed , I’ll get something else.

Ammunition, 80 rounds of American Eagle (Federal) for $77.00, that’s 0.96 cents per round. I’ll put some rounds down range and get her sighted in but then it’s back to 380 or .22LR.

Still working on that space problem.

M

mukwah

Nice rifle slowhand, but you didn't free up much room in your safe!! :p

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
mukwah said:
Nice rifle slowhand, but you didn't free up much room in your safe!! :p

Sure he did! He said he got rid of one of his bulky Nagants and replaced it with a smaller Savage.

Isn't that how you're supposed to make room in a gun safe? :-\

Nice rifle, Slowhand. I was planning to get a Savage until I stumbled on a deal on the Remington.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
It certainly did free up some space in my wallet.

Although it's not a squirrel gun, it's an interesting weapon. I've been doing some homework, regarding the differences between the 308 Winchester and the 7.62 x 51 (NATO) rounds. The SAMMI/CIP maximum pressure for the .308 Win cartridges is 62,000 psi, while the 7 62x51 max is 50,000 psi.

There are also some differences in the head space. The “Go Gauge” for the .308 Win is 1.630”, while the 7.62x 51 is 1.635”. A “No Go” for the Win 306 is 1.634” and for the 7.62x51 it’s 1.6405”. These numbers can also vary depending upon the “Source”.

Some folks argue that there is no difference between the two rounds and fire either cartridge in their rifles with no problems. Others say that you can fire 7.62 x 51 (NATO) rounds in a rifle chambered for .308 Winchester but not the other way around (Like the .223mm vs. 5.56mm round.). I am going to go with what I have for now and check into the compatibility later on.

http://how-i-did-it.org/762vs308/chamber.html

I don’t take everything I read on the World Wide Web as gospel. But when it comes to sorting out the ammunition a headspace gauge is not a bad idea.

Meanwhile I’ve got two rifles and a shotgun to get ready for the range on Thursday or Friday.