Safe room/panic room

Howard Law

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am in the process now of figuring out the best door to have for a safe room. I am trying to go concealed with a decent amount of security.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I am in the process now of figuring out the best door to have for a safe room. I am trying to go concealed with a decent amount of security.
The best would be a vault door, otherwise I'd look at some industrial style interior security doors.

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
The best would be a vault door, otherwise I'd look at some industrial style interior security doors.
The only problem with the vault door option is both walls it would be attaching to are interior walls with no way of reinforcing. That's why I am looking at more concealment than security. I am looking at doing a Murphy door type book shelf.

Reactions: Laufen

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
The only problem with the vault door option is both walls it would be attaching to are interior walls with no way of reinforcing. That's why I am looking at more concealment than security. I am looking at doing a Murphy door type book shelf.
When you get it done just make sure to post plenty of pictures on the Internet. You know, where it is, how it works, what's inside....

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
When you get it done just make sure to post plenty of pictures on the Internet. You know, where it is, how it works, what's inside....
Oh of course. I will make sure to post the combo to the safe and my bank account numbers also. Anything else buddy?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Oh of course. I will make sure to post the combo to the safe and my bank account numbers also. Anything else buddy?
A map detailing where you hid all of those illegal FA AR trigger groups would be nice too

Wait, I wasn't supposed to mention that, was I

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Subscribed. I plan to move and do this over the coming summer.
Finally closed and got moved in to my new house and ready to get crackalackin' on the vault room. Wanted to see if you had made any decisions or progress on yours @Cudruln ? I'm trying to to make the same decision as you. Do I hire someone to do two reinforced cinder block walls, or just line the existing 2x6 framing with welded sheet steel which I can do myself. Right now I'm thinking that's just too much welding in the basement. My next decision is what to do about how to reinforce the ceiling under the floor joists above without bringing the vault ceiling too low. Any thoughts or experience here?

I'm going to get the vault door ordered soon and get this project rolling asap.
IMG_6928.JPG

Reactions: Bypass and Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@Willy Leadwell

I ended up going with a completely different house. The house that I was looking at wouldn't work, it needed about 20k worth of work to get the basement where we needed it.

But the house we purchased already has a sectioned off area for my gun room. I am going to be adding a Murphy style vault door and seeing about securing it up.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
<----- Jelly!