S&W Model 22 A-1 22LR

Howard Law

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SWModel22A122LR3.jpg~original

Thursday, I was out making the rounds and this little beauty caught my eye. It was a S&W Model 22 A1 22LR. I was hoping it was a Match Grade Model 41 which is an upscale version. But it wasn’t. A fluted bull barrel, with a single piece wooden grip can be a real eye catcher.

S&W sell it as an enhanced model #151044, TALO Deluxe Limited Edition. She has a 5 ½ in fluted, two colored, bull barrel, with an adjustable rear sight and a weaver style optics mount. She also had some oversized custom textured wood target grips. 3 Magazines came in the box, which is good.

SWModel22A122LRNoSN.jpg~original

This one came with the box and instructions. But the previous owner had disassembled the piece but made a mistake and it would not cock or dry fire. The exterior bore no scratch marks and the chamber looked new. They were asking $400. So I had the consignment shop call the owner and he declined. The next day I came back and offered $325. They took the offer. If you Google the model and numbers this thing sells for around $525.00, depending whose asking.

SWModel22A122LR9.jpg~original

I got back in town today, read the owner’s manual and did a field disassembly. After getting the takedown button with some considerable pressure, I removed the barrel and slide. The Recoil spring assembly has a plastic recoil spacer that had been reversed. I repositioned it reassembled the firearm. It works. The weapons in 95%+ condition and I doubt the original owner ever fired it.

This one is comparable to a Ruger Mark III 22/45 except reassembly is a lot easier and it appears to be a better designed rimfire. Smith & Wesson doses caution users to be selective on their choice of manufactured ammunition and she’s probably going to be a bit picky the first 500 rounds or so until she’s gets broken in.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Beautiful gun. I really like those wooden grips. Can't wait to see your range report and the targets.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
It kinda reminds me of a High Standard Victor the way it looks and takes down... :p

You got one heck of a good price on that deal.... :eek:

I bet it will shoot great too.....Congrats..... ;) ;) ;)

karacer

Hunter
Dec 21, 2013
PA
She's a beaut! I have the 22A that I bought in 2000, fun gun to shoot. Been a few years since that one saw some range time.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
IthacaM49.jpg~original

It was a beautiful afternoon in South Carolina. So a friend and I decided we need to hit a gun range. It was going to be a 22 Long Rifle day. I had an Ithaca M49 22LR (The Roy Rogers Saddle Gun) and a S&W Model 22A-1 22R (The enhanced TALO Deluxe Edition SKU 151044 version). You can Google that Model and the SKU Number for specifics. He was also bringing along a GSG 1911 22LR which is a tack driver.

I put 4 rounds in the target at 7 yards and figured that was enough for the Ithaca. It’s got a long front sight and rather accurate.

WaltwIthaca.jpg~original

I turned it over to my Range Buddy and he started having at it. We both spent some time in the military and practice a lot of center mass and head shot target shooting. After a few rounds I asked how the liked it? He was with me when I bought it and said that he’d bought it, if I hadn’t. He though it was a fun shooter and enjoyed the martini lever action. Too bad the tube magazine wasn’t real and it was only a single shot.

Anyway since it’s his birthday tomorrow and he’s going to be 65. So I wished him an early Happy Birthday and that it was a present. We don’t live in New York State; he’s not a criminal, over 21 years of age and of sound mind. So it’s a legal transfer of ownership. Besides, I have enough guns to clean this evening.

SWModel22A1.jpg~original

I started out with the S&W Model 22 A-1. I took it apart this morning and replaced the plastic recoil spacer on the recoil assembly and lubed it. I inserted a magazine, racked the slide and pulled the trigger. No click, nothing.

I field stripped it, reversed the spacer and tried it again. Nothing. I disassembled it again and reseated the slide and barrel. After we’d studied it for awhile, we figured that like a Walther PPK, S&W had gone European on it. SO we discovered that if you inserted the magazine with the slide back and then released it, the round chambered. I ran 60 rounds through it and Walt ran 10. Flawless, but in need of some range time.

I ran a magazine through the GSG 1911 22 LR. My friend and his wife trained for their CWP with this one and a Ruger SR22. It’s broken in and likes its cousin the Sig 1911 22LR is a great firearm.

On the other end of the range there were three or four guys shooting a variety of firearms. They had a deck of cards and were shooting the spots off them. One a self declared “1911” Nut had a large padded case with a half dozen inside. He produced a Colt US Government Model 1911 45 ACP and a Kimber.

We talked guns for awhile and they invited us to join in some time. My kind of folks.

So it was a fun afternoon at the range.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Trigger_1 said:
It kinda reminds me of a High Standard Victor the way it looks and takes down... :p

You got one heck of a good price on that deal.... :eek:

I bet it will shoot great too.....Congrats..... ;) ;) ;)

I was looking at one of those this week. Sweet.... But the price tag :-[ :-[ :-[