S&W Model 10-8 .38 Special

American Revival Apparel Company

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
img595.jpg~original

I was out making the rounds today with a friend and ran into an old Classic Smith & Wesson Revolver, chambered for .38 Special ammunition. It was a Model 10-8 revolver, with a square butt and a 3 inch barrel, non-pinned. It’s a “heavy barrel” and in great shape.

img594.jpg~original

The asking price was $399.00 plus tax. After a bit of negotiation, I walked out with her for $375.00, including tax. These Old Gals are tack drivers, especially with a 3 inch, heavy barrel. With a AAP73XX serial number she was probably manufactured in 1980. I’ll have to give S&W a call in the morning.

I’ve always been a big fan of these, except in pencil barrel. It should be an interesting range trip, the first for this year.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
That is a beauty nice fine. S&W puts a real high quality bluing on there revolvers and I specially like the color case hardened trigger and hammer.
Looking forward to your range report.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Nice! You will have fun with that K frame. There are a couple S&W forums with lots of info.

If you want to pay the money for a letter ($50), Roy Jinks at S&W can look it up and tell you its original configuration and where/when it was sent from the factory.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Sweet! Congrats to you Slowhand. I've got it's brother...made approx the same time frame. Mine has a 4-inch heavy barrel and is nickel plated. It was the first handgun I ever bought...a keeper...and they handle +P rounds for SD with no problem. Have fun!

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
Darn nice! Was this a LGS, gun show, private, or estate sale acquisition?

Inquiring minds...

LOL.... Palmetto Arms, across the street from SLED and DJJ. They're part of Dana Safety Supply out of Greensboro, they cater to Law Enforcement/Corrections Gear. The get a lot of police trade ins, plus private sales. I've bought several firearms from them over the years. This one was part of a 3 weapon trade in deal, from a civilian type.

I called the S&W and Thompson Center Arms Customer Support Center (1-800-331-0852, Ext. 7) this morning. I have the S&W catalogue, that gave me a start. The 10-8s were made from 1977 to 1988 (Followed by the Model 10-9s). They started adding the AAP 3 Letter Prefix on the serial numbers in 1980. According to their records this one was made in 1982.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Slowhand.....1980 was the year S&W changed over from pinned barrels to non-pinned barrels on the model 10.....

I have a 10-8 in 4 inch that is pinned....It was one of the last ones made that way when they changed over that year in 1980....

My son has a 10-8 in 4 inch that is non-pinned...both guns shoot great... :p

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Trigger_1 said:
Slowhand.....Your 3 inch 10-8 is hard to find....Congrats to you.... 8)
Here is a pic of my 4 inch pinned model 10-8...

Great looking old revolver.....

LargeBarrel3.jpg~original

The large barrel and the way it handles make it a keeper. The action is tight and it should be a hoot to shoot.

S&W Model 10 .38 Special

Jsan1082

Scout
Mar 9, 2017
Gulfport, Mississippi
Zip code
I just purchased a similar 10-8 1985 version with a similar case hardened finish.. it was advertised in "midnight blue" but I couldn't find any information about this finish anywhere... looks very similar to yours though. I just wish I could find more information about this finish as opposed to the Nickel / Blued versions. Gun1.jpg gun3.jpg

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I just purchased a similar 10-8 1985 version with a similar case hardened finish.. it was advertised in "midnight blue" but I couldn't find any information about this finish anywhere... looks very similar to yours though. I just wish I could find more information about this finish as opposed to the Nickel / Blued versions. View attachment 26528 View attachment 26529

The color case hardened finish they were referring to was on the trigger and hammer. It appears that that gun has been refinished in Cerakote, Duracoat or another similar spray on finish. It is definitely not the factory bluing. The Model 10's were so mass produced that they don't have very much collectors value so I wouldn't think that it would detract much from the value. Good looking gun!

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
The color case hardened finish they were referring to was on the trigger and hammer. It appears that that gun has been refinished in Cerakote, Duracoat or another similar spray on finish. It is definitely not the factory bluing. The Model 10's were so mass produced that they don't have very much collectors value so I wouldn't think that it would detract much from the value. Good looking gun!

Everyone should own a model 10. I have a nickel plated one from my grandpa. Awesome wheelguns! I agree it looks like duracoat but awesome none the less!

Jsan1082

Scout
Mar 9, 2017
Gulfport, Mississippi
Zip code
Actually from what I can tell (though it's hard to tell from these photos taken by the seller) This is a glass beaded finish. I've seen cerakoted / duracoated guns and I like this much more... They develop a prominent cylinder turn line pretty quickly from what I hear... which makes sense since the cylinder turn line is really the only big flaw I see on this revolver.

168CD464-6AB6-45F2-8E6F-B3E9EB5B373E_zps3rvfwzhc.jpg