Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
The XD's slide locks when the Grip Safety isn't engaged.

Do what??? I never had that happen with my XDs, but I've also never owned a double stack XD so they may be different.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The XD's slide locks when the Grip Safety isn't engaged.

Just called a buddy who has an XD. He confirmed that it does not lock back when the grip safety is not engaged, he even tried to get it to do it while I was on the phone with him.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Do what??? I never had that happen with my XDs, but I've also never owned a double stack XD so they may be different.
Just called a buddy who has an XD. He confirmed that it does not lock back when the grip safety is not engaged, he even tried to get it to do it while I was on the phone with him.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437960
I think it was something on the old model XD. I promise you, I looked at a couple and the gun stores when they first came out and they would not cycle the slide unless the grip safety was fully depressed. I know there of been a lot of people saying that this wasn’t so because the new models don’t have that feature. But I promise you some of the older models did.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437960
I think it was something on the old model XD. I promise you, I looked at a couple and the gun stores when they first came out and they would not cycle the slide unless the grip safety was fully depressed. I know there of been a lot of people saying that this wasn’t so because the new models don’t have that feature. But I promise you some of the older models did.
Some people don't think the grip safety be like it is, but it do.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
It is good in concept although the #1 reason for having a .380 pistol is to have something concealable. The .380 EZ is no smaller than the 9mm shield (which I owned and carried for over a year) so I do not see any reason to own a .380 version. From the article I gathered that this was deigned and built as an entry level pistol for people whom are looking to CCW. The #1 pistol I have heard most new owners pushed towards is the revolver as being the most simple gun to own and operate.

This new shield is to be more appealing to those new owners as a semi auto option and being .380 means a very take but effective round. As stated in the article S&W stated:

When we set out to design the M&P380 Shield EZ pistol, our goal was to deliver an all-around, easy to use personal protection pistol—from loading and carrying, to shooting and cleaning,” said Jan Mladek, General Manager of M&P and S&W Brands. “... We focused on key areas that customers told us were important—the ease of racking the slide and loading the magazine,” he said, “allowing consumers of all statures and strengths the opportunity to own, comfortably practice with, and effectively utilize this exciting new pistol“ for both first-time shooters and experienced handgunners alike."

With most of us being more experienced shooter, this pistol would not be a good choice for us. Glock has a .380 version and lots of people chose this pistol over a smaller framed .380 and people said why?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
From the article I gathered that this was deigned and built as an entry level pistol for people whom are looking to CCW.

I think they designed it for people who couldn't easily operate a subcompact semi-auto(older people, women, girly men, etc.), hence the "EZ" designation. The slide is easier to rack and the magazine loads similar to rimfire magazines with the button on the back of the magazine that you push down to where you don't have to use as much force to load the mags since you're depressing the spring utilizing the button instead of forcing the rounds in like traditional magazines.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I think they designed it for people who couldn't easily operate a subcompact semi-auto(older people, women, girly men, etc.), hence the "EZ" designation. The slide is easier to rack and the magazine loads similar to rimfire magazines with the button on the back of the magazine that you push down to where you don't have to use as much force to load the mags since you're depressing the spring utilizing the button instead of forcing the rounds in like traditional magazines.
Yeah, I agree. I know several older relatives who would really benefit from this all around.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
He'll James Bond carried a Walther PPk which was 7.65 x 17 (.32 acp) and he stopped lots of people with one shot...

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
It is absolutely true. I have one in my lap right now as we speak. If the grip safety is not pressed in, the slide will not move.
Glad there's someone to back me up. Lol. Like I said, I think it's just the earlier models that are like that.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I don’t know what year model my buddy has, but his slide is not controlled by his grip safety.

WyldeDime

Hunter
Sep 2, 2015
Georgia
I don't know that all models of the XD does this or not. I do know that I have owned two XD's, both service models, and both did the same thing. I also know that this is a well known feature/issue and that it has been hashed and re-hashed by the XD crowd over at the XD forums.

I'm not a fan of the grip safety but a lot of folks over there like it and use it as a holster safety. They reposition their thumb over the side plate so that the grip safety is not pushed in when re-holstering. They say that will help prevent an accidental discharge should clothing or other foreign material get in front of the trigger while re-holstering.

Another fucked thing about the grip safety is that if you pull the trigger without the grip safety being pushed in, nothing happens. But if you maintain that trigger pull then push the grip safety in, the trigger will click.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
This is interesting. I can’t remember the last time I had an XD in any of my classes. Next time I get my hands on one, I’ll definitely be a-playin’.