Ruger SR22P - new, but with a problem.

American Revival Apparel Company

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
Posted this on the Ruger Pistols Forum also:

Bought a new SR22P today and headed for the "range" along with the SR9c and the LCP. The .22 is a sweet handling, accurate pistol. I didn't clean it first on purpose to see how it would behave right out of the box. No problems. Except - getting the cartridges into the magazines was a real b***** at first. I shot Winchester and Blazer which shot fine, but the rim of the casings will not fit directly into the magazines. I have to cock them at an angle off to the side so they will clear the mag lips, twist them in line with the mag, then they will slide inside. Don't know if this is a factor that will disappear with use, but I have never experienced such a thing with .22 magazines.

Anyone else had this problem?

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sounds like you got some bad mags. I've never had a problem with ours. Maybe a little stiff to start with.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Jeeze Mayo...bummer. The bullets do go in a strange angle...but always seem to stack up straight upon insertion into the pistol. I was all macho at first, not using the insertion levers on both sides of the mag. But I'm saying now...use them. It is deceptively harder to load these mags when not using them.. Hope this works out for you. I LOVE this little bugger!

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
What's weird is that, after messing around with the magazines at home, I found just the opposite... I can pretty easily load the first round without pulling down the follower by using the follower as a guide to get the right angle. Then, not pulling the follower down still, the rest load pretty easily now by slipping them in at the same angle as the round on top... Don't quite understand this, but it works. Maybe after I shoot a couple hundred rounds that will all "break in".

I like the grip. I put the "fat" one on after much tugging and unfortunate vocabulary recitations. Great trigger. Damned accurate, at least for me.

I put the LC9 and a couple of holsters up for sale at my local shop. It is a great CC pistol and i have no complaints (and experienced no failures) with it. I pretty much stopped carrying it, and Kept going for the SR9c as the preferred carry gun. I figure that I can get enough practice with the SR22, without breaking the bank, to get to the point where I can always hit what I aim to hit. This is another step in my "Mayo Seriously Gets His Carry Act Together" campaign. My other steps are to settle on two or three holsters, choices for weather and dress, to be consistent in location and access.

I will be putting my remaining LC9 holsters and my stainless steel guide rod on the block soon. Need to take some decent photos first.

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
mayonardo said:
I like the grip. I put the "fat" one on after much tugging and unfortunate vocabulary recitations. Great trigger. Damned accurate, at least for me.
Mayo, I'd read accounts of the grip being really hard to switch out, like yours. Mine was really easy to switch, no problem at all. I really enjoy shooting it, as well. I'm probably nearing 1,000 rounds through it. Best purchase I've made in a very long time. Hope you experience the same.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Put another 150 rounds through mine today. Today I used winchester 40 grain lead rounds. No problems. Great pistol. I stopped keeping track..but I'm sure its near 1000 by now.