Ruger LC380

Faktory 47

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Ruger380s1.jpg

I think Ruger has another real winner here. A friend and I were making the rounds this week. He’d been researching the Ruger LC380 and was thinking about getting one. I’ve done some research so I was interested. Any way we both bought one each. I throw these things on a scanner; add the pictures and all documents to a file I keep on each weapon.

Those ring marks on the Ruger LCP are from a Desantis Quick Snap Holster. I carry the LCP a lot she’s tends to get banged up from walking into the edges of doorways.

Ruger380x2.jpg

It handles nice, feels good. Great trigger pull and those sights are something else. A couple of range trips ought to be on for this week. I’ve grown rather fond of my Walther PPK S-1 but we shall see how the LC380 stacks up. If she makes the team, she will be travelling most of the time with the LCP. I keep a spare magazine in the glove box but I am not a fan of reloading magazines.

While I was registering the LC380 on the Ruger Web Site, I ordered a Mitch Rosen LC9 holster. I’m not a fan of cheap holsters either.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
IMO the LC380 is especially good for someone that cannot handle the 9 mm caliber in the LC9 for whatever reason. Absent of that I really don't know why someone would buy the 380 compared to the 9 mm. LC9 same size, so the .380 has no concealment advantage. LC9 a little better defensive round. And the 9 mm ammo is cheaper to buy. Hope it works out for you but it's not something I'm interested in.

And I'm real happy that it's the same size as the LC9 so I can make holsters for the new gun with my existing molds.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Glad to hear other people giving it a thumbs up as well, although I will most likely never own one due to my Elsie's recoil is manageable for me, but now recoil sensitive people who wanted to own a Ruger center fire carry pistol has a decent option.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Made a range trip this afternoon. I cleaned the LC380 up and put some Slide Guide on her. I ran 50 Rounds of Remington UMC 380 Auto 95 Grain and 50 rounds of Independence 95 Grain FMJ through her. I had one round fail to chamber twice. I popped the slide back dropped it in and it went boom. So that's 200 rounds down the tube.

My range buddy put 200 rounds through his, loads of mixed manufacturers. No problems. He did however pickup the last Pachmayr Tactical Grip Gloves for the LC9 at a local gun shop. I found a couple of Hogue's that might fit, but I'm waiting on the Pachmayr ones. The grips on the LC380 are a bit too thin for my taste.

The Ruger LC380 is a great shooter. At 10-15 yards it will do the job. The reduced recoil, handling characteristics , sights and all that, compared to the Ruger LCP make it a nice change as a Primary Carry weapon. The LCP goes along as a BUG.

But I'm still a bigger fan of the Walther PPK S-1. It's a better shooter and that all metal frame, except for the grips, is just too sweet.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Im not a fan of the Remington UMC 380.....Its ok for practice but not for carry.... :-\

Lots of folks report bad vibes from that stuff.... :-\

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I've shot loads of Remington UMC with no problems. Fiocchi is also good stuff. I hit a couple of places this morning and picked up 3 boxes of Remington for $54.54 and Fiocchi for $17.11. I keep Speer Gold Dot 380 Ammo for carry.

R

rayzer007

Trigger_1 said:
Nice review......Jeff does a great job and I admire his fairness of opinions.... 8)

He could sell me on anything he chose to! He personifies no-nonsense honesty!

Ray

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I have made purchases based partially on Jeff's reviews. Never had reason to doubt his opinions and never felt like I was steered wrong.

The only thing I keep noticing is all the Cross Breed type holsters coming out. Imitation is a sincere form of flattery.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
As a Ruger fan, I would think that the new 380 would be a great buy, but I would also look into the Bersa compact 380. I reload the LC9 with lighter loads and the gun becomes so smooth.