Ruger LC.380!

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
The LC380 hasn't captured enough of my imagination to consider adding it too my collection. That, and we have a really nice Bersa Thunder 380 already.

IMO, Ruger may have sliced the demographic a little thin on this one.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I am really curious how big of a difference the recoil will be between the LC380 and the LC9. It seems it would have to be better but would it be good enough for the recoil sensitive people to purchase and be happy with. Could it be another option to replace carrying a .22lr for the recoil sensitive? I still think it would be a little snappy. I am looking forward to the future comments from the people who purchase them.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I think I'm good with elsie pea BDD. 3coyotes...yeah...overkill just a little..? RugerRon60..we'll keep an eye on this one. I really like my LC9, and don't find the snap hard to deal with...but it should be nice putting .380 through a pistol this size. ( a la Bersa Thunder.) Ruger will sell a bunch of these. They are pretty in tune with what we all want. Watching... :-\

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I just had a thought. Instead of buying an LC380 for a light recoiling pistol, one could simply load an LC9 with "-P" (yes, that's "minus P") loads. ::)

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
I just had a thought. Instead of buying an LC380 for a light recoiling pistol, one could simply load an LC9 with "-P" (yes, that's "minus P") loads. ::)
That is wonderful example of creative thinking Skip! Creative thoughts may not pan out, but the ideas generated open up some side trails that may prove extremely interesting to pursue. In considering these unique ideas, judgement has initially be put off till the thoughts have run their course. Critical evaluation can come later, once the new concepts have been proposed.

Ray

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Stupid question alert.

Why can't an LC9 be equipped with a light set of springs that would allow it to cycle 380? I know I have accidentally loaded my SW6906 with 380 instead of 9x19 and it fired but wouldn't cycle the action.

Obviously there is a reason or conversion kits would be available. Is the chamber not compatible?

R

rayzer007

Northern_Son said:
Stupid question alert.
Why can't an LC9 be equipped with a light set of springs that would allow it to cycle 380? I know I have accidentally loaded my SW6906 with 380 instead of 9x19 and it fired but wouldn't cycle the action.
Obviously there is a reason or conversion kits would be available. Is the chamber not compatible?

Hardly a stupid question! This is another example of good creative thinking. Good stuff! :)

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Northern_Son said:
Stupid question alert.

The dimensions of the .380ACP cartridge are quite different from the 9mm cartridge. Not only is the 9mm cartridge tapered (while the .380 is essentially straight-walled) but both cartridges headspace on the mouth of the cartridge. Because the two are different lengths, only the 9mm would be headspaced properly. The .380 might not even be able to fire because the primer would be further from the breech and the firing pin might not even reach the primer.

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Thanks for the tutoring.

I figured it was something to do with headspacing in chamber. So you would need a different barrel at least and at that point it probably makes no sense.

There's my learnin' for today. I can go home now!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Northern_Son said:
Thanks for the tutoring.

I figured it was something to do with headspacing in chamber. So you would need a different barrel at least and at that point it probably makes no sense.

There's my learnin' for today. I can go home now!
You'd probably need not only a new barrel but also new magazines and maybe even a new slide. Feeding a significantly shorter cartridge than the pistol is designed for would be tricky without these types of tweaks.

Tarheel

Hunter
3Coyotes said:
The LC380 hasn't captured enough of my imagination to consider adding it too my collection. That, and we have a really nice Bersa Thunder 380 already.

IMO, Ruger may have sliced the demographic a little thin on this one.

...+1, 3C.

Not sure why anyone would go to a .380 given the size of the LC380, other than recoil. There's a lot of competition in the LC380 category in a more potent 9mm...LC9, PPS, PM/CM9 and others. I doubt very seriously if a person would be concerned about a little extra bite if defending oneself when life is at stake....and the stopping power of the 9mm+P offers a distinct advantage. I'll stick with the LCP when I need a true pocket pistol and pull out my PPS or PM9 if more firepower is desired.

My BDA380 is in the league with Skip's PPK, but I won't be totin' that sucker when a lighter and more powerful 9mm is available. It's a bit fatter, but is 13+1, rather than 6+1 for the PPK...weight is about the same.

JMHO

Hank

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
It would take a little to convince me that .380 recoil is much less than 9mm recoil. The .380 snaps and the 9mm lifts. (for lack of better descriptive words) I prefer the 9mm lift.

I'm comparing primarily the T380 and PPK to the LC9 and Shield. This is also excluding the smaller LCP and larger SR9c. Unless current engineering is accounting for recoil, the 9mm guns are IMO... ounce for ounce, more manageable to shoot than the .380's.

YMMV

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Since I now reload, I do use light loads on the LC9. However, i can attest to the fact that the Bersa compact is one sweet shooter in 380. I think I may buy one. Or maybe just get the Bersa.
dave

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
3Coyotes said:
It would take a little to convince me that .380 recoil is much less than 9mm recoil. The .380 snaps and the 9mm lifts. (for lack of better descriptive words) I prefer the 9mm lift.

I'm comparing primarily the T380 and PPK to the LC9 and Shield. This is also excluding the smaller LCP and larger SR9c. Unless current engineering is accounting for recoil, the 9mm guns are IMO... ounce for ounce, more manageable to shoot than the .380's.

YMMV

The SR9C is the sweetest shooting gun I have and the very last one I would get rid of. No noticeable recoil, accurate as hell and very fast. Ruger really did great on this one. Just to big for every day carry. My next gun will be the Bersa compact 380 or the new LC380 by Ruger to go along with my LC9. However, I think the trigger on the Bersa's are so much nicer. Plus I have a Bersa in 22.cal which makes a great trainer. (and I love to shoot it.) I also love the syle of the Bersa's, cool looking guns as you can see from Richcoops pic.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Here you can check out the recoil factor on these guns. Note that the new LC380 is very similar in size and wt to the Bersa 380. As far as "felt recoil" is concerned, you would just have to shoot the gun yourself to find out. I have the lCP and the LC9. I reload the LC9 with light loads. However after shooting the Bersa, My own perception of felt recoil was dramatically less than the reduced load of the LC9. In fact I thought the Bersa was a magnificent shooter, very smooth with a nice trigger. While the LCP is great for carry, it is a bitch to shoot. (I went through about 2500 rds through mine, until the gun had to be replaced by Ruger, so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to say that about the LCP.) I trained heavily with the LCP and became a good shooter with the gun at 7 yards. However, it takes practice and is just so small for my long fingers. Does accuracy trump power? You be the judge.

*note the drastic reduction in recoil by the comparison.
http://www.genitron.com/Compare/Selected-List.aspx