RMR/GLOCK... Yes or No?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

1jcwallace

Hunter
Jul 4, 2015
Something makes me really want a Gen 4 17...possibly a Gen 4 21 with an RM06 on top of it. What are your thoughts? I have never shot or even held a pistol with an RMR on it but i think it would be fun to try. Thought, Likes, Dislikes...

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Never shot an RMR, but I did try out a guy's G17 with a Docter optic on it... really neat. It's big compared to standard sites, but clears a can no problem and aiming with a red dot is seriously cheating.

Really fast acquisition and way easier than lining up a post/notch sight.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Something makes me really want a Gen 4 17...possibly a Gen 4 21 with an RM06 on top of it. What are your thoughts? I have never shot or even held a pistol with an RMR on it but i think it would be fun to try. Thought, Likes, Dislikes...
Everything I've heard indicates that there's a definite learning curve involved. The dot can be slower to pick up during presentation. I've also been seeing some reports that the sights aren't holding up well on pistols and crapping out after a while. This combined with the associated costs of slide milling and the sight itself, has led me to take a wait and see approach. If they're still in use a few years down the road, I'll probably give one a try.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Everything I've heard indicates that there's a definite learning curve involved. The dot can be slower to pick up during presentation. I've also been seeing some reports that the sights aren't holding up well on pistols and crapping out after a while. This combined with the associated costs of slide milling and the sight itself, has led me to take a wait and see approach. If they're still in use a few years down the road, I'll probably give one a try.

Definitely true. I had a reflex on the 22/45 you sold me for a bit. Very fast, if I brought it to my eye correctly. If I didn't, I would take a bit to find it. I took it off after I started tracking the dot from low ready instead of bringing it to my eye and going with it.

Reactions: DarthVader

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
The Suarez cartel seems to be all over it as the next big "thing." I'm with you, mtdawg, though....it just doesn't seem....I don't know....."smart" to me. The purpose of a pistol, in my world, is defensive and as a last resort...I want it as uncomplicated as possible so that gross motor skills are all that are necessary.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
go for it...why not? If you don't like it...sell it. I wouldn't outfit all my pistols with one but I like them.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
The Suarez cartel seems to be all over it as the next big "thing." I'm with you, mtdawg, though....it just doesn't seem....I don't know....."smart" to me. The purpose of a pistol, in my world, is defensive and as a last resort...I want it as uncomplicated as possible so that gross motor skills are all that are necessary.
Agreed. Aside from the learning curve involved, the stories of multiple RMR failures on the same gun really concern me. I don't recall who it was, but a well known trainer was on his 4th or 5th RMR. Trijicon was replacing them under warranty, but still...

My concerns over the learning curve are primarily seated in the fact that most guys don't really train. They mostly just pop off a few rounds at the range and call it good. That's a recipe for disaster with a more complicated sighting system.

Reactions: freedom

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
My concerns over the learning curve are primarily seated in the fact that most guys don't really train. They mostly just pop off a few rounds at the range and call it good. That's a recipe for disaster with a more complicated sighting system.
yuup_fmdds.jpg

Reactions: DarthVader