Faktory 47

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
New to precision rimfire, is the Lapua Center-X that much better than say Federal Auto Match or others? Breaking in a new 22 bolt gun and just curious.
Take a little time and try lapua , Rws.Eley. My CZ didnt shoot center x very well . It takes a little time and money but you will find one or 2 that will outshine everything else

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
New to precision rimfire, is the Lapua Center-X that much better than say Federal Auto Match or others? Breaking in a new 22 bolt gun and just curious.

In my experience, it depends on the gun. I've had better results with Automatch in some, and better results with Wolf match in others.

Dad gave me a big bag of partial boxes of all kinds of match .22- lapua, eley club, eley 10x (tenex), wolf, eley midas, rws, etc... I tested in the same bolt action and had a huge range of results.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
In my experience, it depends on the gun. I've had better results with Automatch in some, and better results with Wolf match in others.

Dad gave me a big bag of partial boxes of all kinds of match .22- lapua, eley club, eley 10x (tenex), wolf, eley midas, rws, etc... I tested in the same bolt action and had a huge range of results.
I gave a had full of different ammo to Chance when I was done testing

Reactions: dial1911

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Take a little time and try lapua , Rws.Eley. My CZ didnt shoot center x very well . It takes a little time and money but you will find one or 2 that will outshine everything else
The Auto Match actually were shooting pretty good until something went amiss. May have been my suppressor loosening up or who knows. Current setup is a Bergara B14R Carbon with a Meopta Optima 6 in 4.5-27x50 with SilCo Spretre II. Scope was clear at 25 yards on full power. I realized once shooting that it had a slight cant and corrected that when I got home.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
The Auto Match actually were shooting pretty good until something went amiss. May have been my suppressor loosening up or who knows. Current setup is a Bergara B14R Carbon with a Meopta Optima 6 in 4.5-27x50 with SilCo Spretre II. Scope was clear at 25 yards on full power. I realized once shooting that it had a slight cant and corrected that when I got home.
That’s a nice set up when you find the right one you will be hitting marbles at 100. Don’t clean your rifle a lot. Dirty rifle shoot better

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Absolutely. Much more consistent. Most "match chambers" in 22 are chambered with Center X in mind as well. Also, shoot standard velocity stuff. That high-velocity stuff falls to crap as it drops below the sound barrier, which happens around 80 yards, specific ammo dependant.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
I have some Eley Edge, Eley Target, and some SK Match coming to test out. I have a bunch of plinking 22lr in the meantime to try out including Fed Auto Match, CCI SV, Rem Golden bullet buckets(what you put in when friends try your gun), Stingers, and more than a few boxes of assorted ammo. If I need a dirty rifle, I do have some Thunderbolts that are up to that task.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Gun doesn't like it. Take it off and back to small groups. I sent Bergara a message asking if this was normal with the carbon barrels. It is over a foot high at 25 yards, so something is off.

Suppressors do change the point of impact, but that seems excessive.
Does it open your groups as well?

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Suppressors do change the point of impact, but that seems excessive.
Does it open your groups as well?
What groups, looks like I'm shooting free hand with a pistol. The can doesn't get tight until the shoulder hits the barrel. Up to that point, I can wiggle it. I'll see what they say when they answer. May be something slightly out of spec somewhere.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
What groups, looks like I'm shooting free hand with a pistol. The can doesn't get tight until the shoulder hits the barrel. Up to that point, I can wiggle it. I'll see what they say when they answer. May be something slightly out of spec somewhere.

You may have to do a semi perm rock set with a shim or not to get it tight. Then you’ll be able to dial in tight groups. Did you try a different suppressor on it to see if you got the same results.

Reactions: Slacker1972

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Only have one 22lr can. May have to test fit my TiRant 45 and see how it feels. I use this can on other guns with only a slight POI change. If it was slightly lower (expected), I would be fine. Way high and right just doesn't sound like everything is lined up correctly.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Hmmm..... Have you tried it on other rifles for accuracy?

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
I use it on my Browning Buckmark all the time. Later today, I'll get out the other cans and see if they thread on good or have the same problem. I have several 1/2x28 mounts I can use to check with.