Rifle Cleaning/maintainence Question?

Howard Law

StateFarmJake

Hunter
Jan 30, 2016
Anyone have a guide on how to clean a AR15 build and the kind of up keep i'll need to do on one? I'll be adding one to my collection soon I think and need to figure it out first.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Between the military and civilian life I've found that a simple tear down after about 500 rds gets them lapped in nice and good, other than that clean like ya would any other rifle, light coating of oil on the bolt and pins will do ya as well as keeping the powder crust cleaned from the gas tube, personally I have no issue going a little heavier on the oil part, over in the desert with the sand as fine as talcum powder you gotta worry about buildup but here. .....

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
The key areas are the star chamber, gas rings, and extractor. Make sure you clean out the bolt recess in the carrier and lube the cam pin as well. Of course you'll clean the bore like any other firearm. The CAT M4 tool and some lube will keep the gun running. I use FrogLube but Slip 2000 is good too. The gas tube is important but unless you shoot the dirtiest ammo on the planet there is a low chance if collecting enough crud to stop the gun. Enjoy!

A bronze bristle wheel on a bench grinder and cordless drill will be your best friend!

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
As far as a bore cleaner I use Ed's Red. The recipe can be found various places on the internet. It is a formulation of the old Frankfort Arsenal Formula No. 18. As far as oil, save yourself money and use Mobile 1 Synthetic motor oil. Chemically that is essentially what all the firearms oil is. This is what the Army Marksmanship Unit uses on their rifles.