REVOLVERS SUCK!!!.... Or Maybe Its Me! (Video)

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
So here recently I started getting into revolvers and picked up 2 Smith and Wessons, a 629 44 mag and 686 357 mag. Well I just went out to the range to shoot some groups at 25 yards with the 629 and lets just say it was a HUGE disappointment! I know its just ME not being familiar with this type of gun and I probably just need more practice. I always here how accurate these revolvers are and how well people can shoot them so I dont think its the guns themselves.

With all that being said, heres a video of me shooting and talking about all of this. If you notice anything im doing wrong and/or have some suggestions leave them down below.

00formula6spd

Frontiersman
Jul 13, 2015
Lilburn Ga.
Zip code
Cant really help, but ask @Jerry Miculek ? I feel the same way sometimes. My wife can wear a target out with my 586 6" barrel. Sometimes I can not hit crap with it or my 29 8 3/8"

Last edited:
Reactions: NolansMindset

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Try shooting with your left hand and see where thy hit. When you are resting your gun it is hitting way off to the right like you have your site set.

Try shooting with your eyes open. LOL

Frogman

Brony
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Revolvers do suck but that does not necessarily preclude you :þ

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
I might suggest you try something a little different. Go with a friend and have them load your gun without you looking. They have the option of loading up to 6 live rounds; but should put in a few spent rounds. Shoot as you normally would and when you "fire" a spent casing, look at what the gun did. Did you hold it steady, flinch, pull to one side? Very quick way to find out if it is you or not. I've done this for a couple of people and it is amazing the first time they fire a blank and gun moves from a flinch. It tends to tighten up groups fast because you see what you are doing. Plan B is to grow old and blame your eyes. LOL

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I might suggest you try something a little different. Go with a friend and have them load your gun without you looking. They have the option of loading up to 6 live rounds; but should put in a few spent rounds. Shoot as you normally would and when you "fire" a spent casing, look at what the gun did. Did you hold it steady, flinch, pull to one side? Very quick way to find out if it is you or not. I've done this for a couple of people and it is amazing the first time they fire a blank and gun moves from a flinch. It tends to tighten up groups fast because you see what you are doing. Plan B is to grow old and blame your eyes. LOL
This is a good idea. Take two snap caps and put them in your gun. Then play safe Russian roulette so to speak. See how your body reacts when it anticipates. My s&w 66 will drive nails. But I grew up with revolvers. People can shoot circles around me with a semi auto.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Cant really help, but ask @Jerry Miculek ? I feel the same way sometimes. My wife can wear a target out with my 586 6" barrel. Sometimes I can not hit crap with it or my 29 8 3/8"

Yeah, but you've got one hell of a double tap with that M29. ;)

Reactions: 00formula6spd

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So here recently I started getting into revolvers and picked up 2 Smith and Wessons, a 629 44 mag and 686 357 mag. Well I just went out to the range to shoot some groups at 25 yards with the 629 and lets just say it was a HUGE disappointment! I know its just ME not being familiar with this type of gun and I probably just need more practice. I always here how accurate these revolvers are and how well people can shoot them so I dont think its the guns themselves.

With all that being said, heres a video of me shooting and talking about all of this. If you notice anything im doing wrong and/or have some suggestions leave them down below.

When you were shooting off of the bag, you weren't able to maintain a consistent grip on the gun. Your support hand looked like you were using two or three fingers, and the palm of your hand was inconsistently placed on the left grip panel. That looks like it forced you to alter your grip a bit with your strong hand, and it looked like the trigger shoe was all the way up to your first knuckle. That's probably why your results seemed to be a bit better unsupported. Both of those revolvers are capable of chewing the center of the target out.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I, too, was watching your video and using the blue gun case on the table as reference you seemed to be rocking a bit. This may be the issue when shooting from a rest and explains why you can put them on target when you shoot untested. Maybe drop down to a .22 revolver to get your grip and mechanics down instead of jumping right up to .44 mag.

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
Ok so I went back to the range today with some 38 special +p's and 44 specials and shot some more groups, this time from 7 yards. I'm happy to say things went a little better. I was actually able to put down some descent groups, at least they were descent for me with a revolver. I think I'll be shooting more of these lighter rounds until I can get my revolver fundamentals mastered then I'll move back up to the magnums. I appreciate all the help and advice!

163d09405c1b0f377878c00e6d0c90c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jake

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Ok so I went back to the range today with some 38 special +p's and 44 specials and shot some more groups, this time from 7 yards. I'm happy to say things went a little better. I was actually able to put down some descent groups, at least they were descent for me with a revolver. I think I'll be shooting more of these lighter rounds until I can get my revolver fundamentals mastered then I'll move back up to the magnums. I appreciate all the help and advice!

163d09405c1b0f377878c00e6d0c90c1.jpg

Much mo better! Nice shootin Tex! So, were those offhand or from a rest? I don't know if you reviewed your videos to see what I was talking about, but my guess is you were shooting offhand. Glad you got things figured out. Revolvers are not unstoppable, just different mechanics involved. Good luck and waiting to see more videos.

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
Much mo better! Nice shootin Tex! So, were those offhand or from a rest? I don't know if you reviewed your videos to see what I was talking about, but my guess is you were shooting offhand. Glad you got things figured out. Revolvers are not unstoppable, just different mechanics involved. Good luck and waiting to see more videos.

Thanks man..... I was shooting offhand.

Reactions: RICHGCOOP