Rest Area Carry Changes

Faktory 47

derrabe

Scout
Oct 7, 2016
Hi, I am new to the forums and I am from Michigan but travel frequently through northern Ohio for work using the turnpike.  I have a CPL (CCW) and have carried numerous time  on my travels.   On my last trip trough I stopped at several rest stops on I-80 and notice some new signs and am looking for some understanding.   The last I looked carrying in rest areas was allowed but these signs made me believe I am now wrong....Can someone please clarify if now any carry in the building is prohibited for a licenced carrier.  Below is a picture of the sign I am referencing. 

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Revised Code specifically says in section 2923.126(B):  A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places: (9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section.

As such, it is lawful to carry a concealed weapon in a government owned rest facility (privately owned buildings are subject to the same signage/trespassing rule as any private land).

I have seen several instances where governments are putting up no gun signs on buildings that they shouldn't. Park shelter houses for one. When I see it, I usually contact the government entity responsible and let them know their sign is in violation of the law. 

derrabe

Scout
Oct 7, 2016
Ok so since these are specific to the I-80 turn pike and I believe possibly is owned by the corporation that runs the turn pike, am I to assume that these are privately owned and the signs mean no carry inside the building? 

Last edited by a moderator:

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Good stuff to know, I am currently on the turnpike and just ran in to one of these signs, saw this thread earlier and figured I'd pop my head in here to see what it was about and sure enough... 

N499C

Hunter
Oct 10, 2016
Well, let's see.  It's 2am and I need to take a rest break on the OTP.  

By all means, take off my concealed sidearm.  Leave it in the car or motorcycle and waltz right in.

I don't think so.

and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility 

That sentence pretty much allows you to "go to the bathroom" with your sidearm.

AD

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
T.L Jones can correct me if I'm wrong, but the wording in bold covers all buildings that are part of the rest facility, not just the bathroom at a rest stop.  Bathroom only would be more like the bathroom in a Ohio State Park.  I can carry into the restroom or a shelter house, but not the main camp office.

2923.126(B):  A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places: (9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
You are correct, Chris."Restroom" would be like the bathroom house at a park or campground, and "rest facility" would be a rest stop along the highway (they often have bathrooms and other conveniences like restaurants and vending areas.)