Research: Your Favorite Cans

Howard Law

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I'm new to silencers and have been doing homework on the specs of various manufacturers and models. I want to hear what you, the consumer and the user, like or don't like about the cans you own. Also any customer service experience you may have had.

What's your 2 favorite cans (excluding 22LR), make and model? Please state the host gun(s).

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Innovative Arms Grunt-mini is by far my favorite can. I shoot it almost exclusively on 10.5" 5.56 SBRs. Touch as hell (one of the few sealed rifle cans that can be fired wet), direct thread (no messing with stupid mounts), and surprisingly effective at suppressing 5.56 SBRs.

Actually, I can pretty much say the same about all my cans. My good friend @N Word Jim directed me to buy only direct thread cans when I first started buying cans, and thus far, 5 cans later, his advice has not failed me. Direct thread is in my opinion the way to go, especially with Dobbs Defense so close and convenient to thread my hosts.

The Innovative Arms Grunt-mini is still my favorite of the 5 though, even though I shoot my AAC cyclone 7.62 more than the other 4 combined.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Innovative Arms Grunt-mini is by far my favorite can. I shoot it almost exclusively on 10.5" 5.56 SBRs. Touch as hell (one of the few sealed rifle cans that can be fired wet), direct thread (no messing with stupid mounts), and surprisingly effective at suppressing 5.56 SBRs.

Actually, I can pretty much say the same about all my cans. My good friend @N Word Jim directed me to buy only direct thread cans when I first started buying cans, and thus far, 5 cans later, his advice has not failed me. Direct thread is in my opinion the way to go, especially with Dobbs Defense so close and convenient to thread my hosts.

The Innovative Arms Grunt-mini is still my favorite of the 5 though, even though I shoot my AAC cyclone 7.62 more than the other 4 combined.
I like the IA Grunt-mini as well. Nothing better at being able to shoot the AR with open ears. The blow back is minimal as well. My second favorite can is the Silencerco Octane 45HD. I chose this can as I can suppress my Glock 37, M11/9 and 300 Blackout. The 9mm cap is available as well so you can get better suppression with it. I am a believer in direct threads as well.

Reactions: DoglegArms

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Why you be discriminating against .22 cans?

Dang, now I can't play...

:classiccold:

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Asking people what there favorite is will drive you insane.

Everyone has little nuances of each can that they favor, different setups, different needs.

One guy likes a can for each set up, some like multi role cans, and some people are just cheap.

A few rules id consider.
1. Only stock stainless steel internal 22lr cans
2. Buy while the iron is hot, new products sell in Nfa.
3. Don't expect to make real cash. Silencer shop is spending millions on inventory and QRF is buying in enough bulk to crush you're profit margin. What was once a great mom and pop addition to an at home ffl is now being sold off to the big boys.

You could look to carry Griffin armament cans. Not many people are stocking them, heir products are generally great, I believe hey work directly with dealers.

The revolution 9 and 45 are modular pistol
Cans that share similar components with the octane.

Liberty will do bulk pricing with orders of 10 or more cans. Great products, but the buying public is seeking to shy away from thread on cans for rifles, idiotically. Their mystic x is a great can for people looking for a multi role can.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Okay here's my list since I was too damn pedantic in my last post:

9mm: Mystic x

45: revolution 45

QD rifle: dead air sandman L & S

While the experts know how great cans like the mini grunt are, most buyers are looking for bigger brand names associated with silencers, and they generally don't gravitate towards smaller cans because they are obsessed with db numbers.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
You know, if we all got together for a shoot, I bet we would have a hell of a lot of stuff people could check out. I'd still like to hear some side by side comparisons of different hosts/cans/ammo. I know there's meter data, but I'd like to hear it for myself... probably can't tell a hell of a lot of difference.

ETA:

Oops:

Centerfire rifle: IA Deception .30cal

Centerfire pistol: Octane 45HD

Last edited:

Green Panther

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, Georgia
You know, if we all got together for a shoot, I bet we would have a hell of a lot of stuff people could check out. I'd still like to hear some side by side comparisons of different hosts/cans/ammo. I know there's meter data, but I'd like to hear it for myself... probably can't tell a hell of a lot of difference.

Oops:

Centerfire rifle: IA Deception .30cal

Centerfire pistol: Octane 45HD
The Floyd County meet could be good to see what everyone brings to compare once it cools down.

Reactions: dial1911

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Asking people what there favorite is will drive you insane.

Everyone has little nuances of each can that they favor, different setups, different needs.

One guy likes a can for each set up, some like multi role cans, and some people are just cheap.

A few rules id consider.
1. Only stock stainless steel internal 22lr cans
2. Buy while the iron is hot, new products sell in Nfa.
3. Don't expect to make real cash. Silencer shop is spending millions on inventory and QRF is buying in enough bulk to crush you're profit margin. What was once a great mom and pop addition to an at home ffl is now being sold off to the big boys.

You could look to carry Griffin armament cans. Not many people are stocking them, heir products are generally great, I believe hey work directly with dealers.

The revolution 9 and 45 are modular pistol
Cans that share similar components with the octane.

Liberty will do bulk pricing with orders of 10 or more cans. Great products, but the buying public is seeking to shy away from thread on cans for rifles, idiotically. Their mystic x is a great can for people looking for a multi role can.

Margins on most cans are still healthy. It's not hard to compete with SS on prices. I'm a dealer for them and they are doing some weird shit now. Not sure how that will turn out.

Strangely enough, best prices for Liberty cans aren't from Liberty direct. Griffin isn't taking on new dealers anymore and using distributors.

What's your thoughts on YHM?

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
For 22, I'm only selling Dobbs ARCs that's why I excluded other 22s. But please share your fav 22 can!

I have a couple of his Evercores so you're good in my book!

The only drawback to the E/C is the weight on a polymer compact .22. I'm not complaining though, they are great cans!