Remington FMJ bullets--Any good?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I use them about 30% of the time for range work Doug. I have had no problem with them, and have found them to be quite consistent. Maybe a tad dirtier than some..but then...I like holsters AND cleaning guns...So I'm good. 2000 rounds?!...Me...I'd say go for it.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
First off, I have no experience with those bullets. I usually use Hornady bullets for that type, size, and weight.

However, as an example, I have found bullets (.224 55gr FMJ w/cannelure by Winchester) that are very sloppily made compared to the same type of Hornady bullets that I use for my AR-15. The lead sections in the bases of the Winchester bullets were not filled out uniformly like the Hornady bullets were. At 50 yards, my group size doubled with the Winchester bullets.

Without testing, I obviously won't bad-mouth the Remington bullets. I would, though, suggest that you try a small sample if you can for accuracy (repeatability) and then make your decision based on that test - especially if you have a benchmark load to compare them to.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
framedcraig1 said:
I use them about 30% of the time for range work Doug. I have had no problem with them, and have found them to be quite consistent. Maybe a tad dirtier than some..but then...I like holsters AND cleaning guns...So I'm good. 2000 rounds?!...Me...I'd say go for it.

They are just the bullets for reloading, not Remington ammo.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
SkipD said:
First off, I have no experience with those bullets. I usually use Hornady bullets for that type, size, and weight.

However, as an example, I have found bullets (.224 55gr FMJ w/cannelure by Winchester) that are very sloppily made compared to the same type of Hornady bullets that I use for my AR-15. The lead sections in the bases of the Winchester bullets were not filled out uniformly like the Hornady bullets were. At 50 yards, my group size doubled with the Winchester bullets.

Without testing, I obviously won't bad-mouth the Remington bullets. I would, though, suggest that you try a small sample if you can for accuracy (repeatability) and then make your decision based on that test - especially if you have a benchmark load to compare them to.

Thanks Skip. No opportunity to try them out. I have a friend that ordered them and mis-took them for ammo, but they are just the bullets for reloading. I can get them from him if I want them. I have been reloading 124 gr lead for 9mm and I know they work fine. Just have an opportunity to get 2,000 rounds of them. I'm leaning towards getting them. I figure i could sell them if I don't like them.

D

Denny4kids

I would try 50 and also pick up some 147gr bullets. I don't load many 115's anymore except to emulate my carry rounds for training. I'm spoiled by the soft shooting, hard hitting 147gr. Plus they use about 1/3 less powder. Den

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Doug - what sort of price are you looking at for the 2000 lot? The going price is about $215 plus shipping at a web-based retail source that I use.

M

mukwah

I'm with Skip....how much? If the price is right then go for it! The way things are these days this might be a good deal, especially for target work! Who knows, they might be a good everyday round! :-\

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Actually the price is not bad. I'm bartering some holsters and some cash for them. I've decided to go ahead and do the deal. Gotta think they can't be that bad.

D

Denny4kids

I do like the fact they are FMJ's. It's my belief this type of bullet is better than plated or lead. You can load some fast rounds without the worry of the plating separating or the lead burning. Should be able to load up some great range ammo. Den