Reloading room

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Shootinbil

Hunter
May 13, 2013
Indiana
Here is my reloading room. It is small but it works out good for me. My two benches our craftsman From Sears.
http://youtu.be/4MmuGsDP33U

Sent from My Compound
My Tactical Shooting Channel

R

rayzer007

An interesting video for me Bill. I had never seen the reloading process before. Thanks!

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
rayzer007 said:
An interesting video for me Bill. I had never seen the reloading process before. Thanks!
Ray, what you saw in the video was a system that is very much automated for high volume production.

I, on the other hand, do all of the steps in loading my ammunition manually instead of using a progressive machine like Bill showed in the video. The reason is that I have better control over each step of the process. I clean all my primer pockets before re-priming cases. I insert my primers with a hand-held tool, allowing me to feel the insertion process. I measure my powder in a way that has no externally induced vibration affecting the powder. I observe the powder level in up to 50 cartridges at a time before (introducing the bullets) to ensure that there are no under- or over-filled cases. My methods are all about quality control and precision in each step.

For someone doing a lot of shooting of one caliber, the Dillon machine is a good choice because of the production rate. However, there's no way to do many of the in-process checks that I like to do. I would not choose load ammunition that my life depended on with a progressive machine.

R

rayzer007

Skip your quality control is probably superior to most manufacturers! Bill's system looks efficient for larger quantities of target ammo. I've had a few of my friend's reloads fail at the range; but his method of reloading is more geared for quantity. No room for error on the SD rounds! You obviously insist on a high level of precision. Thanks for that perspective!

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
rayzer007 said:
Skip your quality control is probably superior to most manufacturers! Bill's system looks efficient for larger quantities of target ammo. I've had a few of my friend's reloads fail at the range; but his method of reloading is more geared for quantity. No room for error on the SD rounds! You obviously insist on a high level of precision. Thanks for that perspective!
You definitely understand the differences.

The reloading process that I use is significantly slower than using a well-tuned progressive system. However, I enjoy the reloading process almost as much as shooting what I make. Of course, I also enjoy shooting ammo that is as good as it gets. For example, I'm using military brass (recent production 5.56 Federal/Lake City M193 and M855) to load for my AR-15. Shooting my loads, I get groups that are 1/2 to 1/4 the size that I was able to get firing the original LC ammo.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Nice video. I am relatively new to reloading and like Skip I still use a single stage loader. I am not trying to make the world's perfect loads but I like to be able to visually inspect the powder loads for my own peace of mind. My goal is to never have a squib load from my reloaded ammo. ;D

D

Denny4kids

I was going to say good video. New re-loaders should skip this one. Zero explanations, zero words on safety, Zero reasons why anything! I have bit my tongue on all this guys other videos, (I ask why does he always point his weapon at his foot?) But this reloading video shows nothing to a new reloader except how mellow and easy it is for this guy. He has great gear but each time he pulls down the handle, 20 things can go wrong and he fails to mention this! Dennis!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Good point Denny. You have to take one step at a time when you start reloading.
Get help, Have a buddy show you the ropes.

RICHGCOOP

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I agree 100% with Dennis. The video didn't even get into how much setup it takes to make the Dillon press turn out proper loads. Once it's well set up, of course, production volume is a lot more than non-automated methods but no newbie watching the video would understand what it took to make it work right in the first place.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
I think Bill was just showing us his reloading room and what an automated machine is capable of.... ;)

Training on the other hand setting up an automated reloading machine takes a lot of time to get it just right.... ;)

R

rayzer007

Trigger_1 said:
I think Bill was just showing us his reloading room and what an automated machine is capable of.... ;)

Training on the other hand setting up an automated reloading machine takes a lot of time to get it just right.... ;)

Agreed; it wasn't intended as a primer on introduction to reloading. Just a member showing us his equipment!

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
You mean it wasn't a tutorial??? :eek:

Joking of course. I am sure that I will move to a progressive one day, but to be completely honest I spend my whole life in a hurry. The only time I really slow down is shooting, reloading, and hanging out on the boat. I'm just not ready to turn reloading into another time trial.......yet.

One thing I did notice though, and this is a question not a statement. My reloading teacher says not to touch primers with your bare hand due to the possibility of static electricity setting off the primers. Any thoughts on this?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bigdogdaddy said:
One thing I did notice though, and this is a question not a statement. My reloading teacher says not to touch primers with your bare hand due to the possibility of static electricity setting off the primers. Any thoughts on this?
If you'd been scuffing your feet on a carpet before you sat down and the first thing you reached for was a primer, you might get a spark which might set off the primer.

Having worked with delicate electronics for many years (since the late 1960s), I have always been aware of static electricity and the damage it can do. The area of my shop that I use for reloading has no carpet - it's a concrete basement floor and there's almost always a reasonable amount of moisture in the air in our basement. If there were any conditions likely to create a buildup of static electricity, I'd probably bring one of my grounding mats into service near the work space but I've not felt a need so far.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
You mentioned electronics. I once went to wipe off my computer monitor with a rag slightly dampened with very mild window cleaner. Unfortunately, I did not shut it off first. As soon as I touched it there was a little pop/crack from what appeared to be static electricity. Next day I went to town to buy a new monitor.