Reloading and the very beginner

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
First of all, I would like to thank Skip for his introduction to reloading info. I'm seriously thinking about getting started, but if I do, it will be very simple. In fact, I am thinking of getting a "Hand Press". I just want to learn. I'm not talking about a lot of rounds or how long it will take. Just ONE round at a time. If I can reload 50 rds the first month successfully then I will be happy. Doing a little math, it seems that the expensive 380 would achieve the biggest cost saving. I shoot a lot of 9's, but just do not see the rewards for that round. My question. Is the 380 casing difficult to reload? I have heard mixed comments on this question.

thanks

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Dave, I do not recommend the hand-held tools instead of a press. You could do very well, though, with a single-station press. Rather than completing a single round at a time (start to finish), it would make much more sense to do the same process step on your collection of empty cases and then move on to the next step. Otherwise you'd be screwing dies in and out of the press at a ridiculous rate. The reason that I use a turret press (holds 7 dies but does not automate anything) is so that I can do a series of operations on a single cartridge without changing dies. However, good turret presses are quite a bit more expensive than a standard single-station press.

Reactions: turkeyrun

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If you lived close to me, I would help you. The 380 is not hard to load. On 9mm you save the most if you cast your own bullets.
Go for it start reloading.

RICHGCOOP

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I have been reloading most of my ammo (rifle, pistol and shotgun) for the last fifty-four years. I started with a LEE hand loader that you used a hammer to re-size, prime and seat the bullets. It was a disaster but it worked. I quickly got a single station press and have been using the same press for over fifty years. I have found that reloading is jsut as much a hobby as shooting. Your cost per round will go down dramatically, but your overall spend on ammo will go up. It is hard not to significantly increase your shooting when you reload. Buy a brand name and watch a couple of the Ytube "how to's". Start slow and be careful and you will not have any problems. Good Luck!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Dave - in addition to a press and, of course, a set of dies, you'll definitely want a powder scale.

You might want to use the cheapest powder measure available - a set of Lee dippers - but you'll still want to be able to measure the weight of a particular powder thrown by the chosen dipper. You'll have to learn how to use the dippers to get the most repeatable charge weight with them, and the only way to learn is to have a scale at your disposal.

The beam type scales by either RCBS, Lyman, or others should be OK, but stay away from the all-plastic cheapie versions. Get one with a metal beam, hardened metal pivots, and (if possible) a metal powder pan.

WAcarry

Hunter
Jun 22, 2012
WA State
I know this question has a million variables, but what is the approximate start up cost for a beginner? I am interested in reloading .380, 9mm and .45. Possibly rifle cartridges in the future.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
WAcarry said:
I know this question has a million variables, but what is the approximate start up cost for a beginner? I am interested in reloading .380, 9mm and .45. Possibly rifle cartridges in the future.
I'll be quite honest. I don't know. I haven't priced out all the needed equipment in quite a few years. I've purchased a set of dies here and there, a little powder and a few bullets here and there, but most of my stuff is 20 to 30 years old.

WAcarry

Hunter
Jun 22, 2012
WA State
SkipD said:
WAcarry said:
I'll be quite honest. I don't know. I haven't priced out all the needed equipment in quite a few years. I've purchased a set of dies here and there, a little powder and a few bullets here and there, but most of my stuff is 20 to 30 years old.
That's ok Skip, it will give me a reason to wander around Cabela's for hours on end. I like a good research project. Especially when it has to do with shooting sports.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
WAcarry said:
That's ok Skip, it will give me a reason to wander around Cabela's for hours on end. I like a good research project. Especially when it has to do with shooting sports.
I have found that Cabela's is a bit overpriced for reloading equipment. In addition, they don't seem to have enough variety in their choices (mostly in equipment but also in bulk-packed bullets) to satisfy me. You can certainly get a good idea what you might want to spend, but I strongly suggest that you find alternative places to do your research in addition to Cabela's. There are some web-based places that I use as well such as Midway USA and Widener's. There are many other places on the web which sell reloading equipment and supplies and sometimes it's worth a bit of searching, especially if you're looking for a higher-priced item.

One thing that I have found is that buying powder and primers locally makes a huge amount of sense because of the "Hazmat" charges that get tacked on when you have these products shipped to you.

If you want to shoot lead bullets, you might want to think about casting your own. I've had very good results casting a variety of bullets out of scrap wheel weights that I've gotten for very good prices.

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
I just started a few months ago and picked up a RCBS Rock Chucker kit on sale. It was a good start and I've heard people who bought Lee and other kits and liked them. Graf is good because of a one price shipping cost of $5.95 regardless of the amount you buy. I also like Starline cases if you don't already have any to load. They are cheap and good quality. You can order them from Starline www.starlinebrass.com/ or Grafs. They sell out quick so you might have to backorder just to get them. The last time I was in Cabela's they had enlarged their Reloading section and had a few good prices. You just have to do your research.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
RICHGCOOP said:
I have used Starline brass, and it is top notch.
It's a fact that Starline brass is just about the best there is. In addition, the price is quite reasonable even when compared to inferior new brass from other sources.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Ok Skip. I see now that you are right about the hand press. Where I live there are a few local gun shops and they carry most of the LEE kits. Which one would you advise or would you not get the kit and just buy other components separately? (I only plan to load Pistol ammo).

Thanks Dave
Ps Richcoop,thanks for the offer, but Ohio is a tad too far for me to go, I envy anyone that does live close.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I see you addressed you question to Skip, but I will jump in. Price the individual components that you actually need and then compare that cost to the "kit" prices which will include some stuff you really do not need. If the kit price is still lower than the component price, it doesn't hurt to have the extraneous stuff, like a powder trickler, primer tray, lube pad, etc, etc, etc,....