Recommended bullet molds???

Howard Law

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I'm thinking about getting some bullet molds. Have any recommendations?

I'm interested in .45, 9mm, and .38 special/.357 bullet molds. Basically round nose bullets for the 9mm and .45. And probably SWC for the .38 special. I've bought lead bullets as follows and they have worked well, so I'm thinking about staying with these but open to recommendations:

9mm RN 124 grain
.45 ACP RN 230 grain
.38 special SWC 158 grain

Probably interested in 4 or 6 cavity molds. Any recommendations? Also any recommendations on melting pots and lube/sizers.

As you can see, I'm a novice at bullet molding. Not exactly sure if I'm going to do it, but leaning that way. I think I would like to get the stuff in case I decide to make bullets. It's hard to make them if I don't have the equipment. Thanks for your recommendations!

Doug

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
On my 357mag I use a 150gr SWC Keith type. Its a lineman four Cavity the mold.
I use in 38 special 357 mag and also loaded 9 millimeter.

I have two Lee10 pound pots bottom poor. Do it again I would buy the 20 pounds bottom poor but 45 years ago they were only 10 pounders.

On the 45 ACP I was using a Lee SWC that a fella gave me I did not like it . Doesn't feed good in some forty fives.
Picked up a used round nose Lyman mold on eBay. Haven't been to the range with this bullet yet. I'm sure it will work fine.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
lws380 said:
Are Lee molds any good? Or should I try other brands?
The few Lee molds I have are at least fifteen years old and they worked OK. However, the best molds were made by Hensley & Gibbs. They are out of business, but another company bought their tooling and is where I would start. That company is Ballisti-Cast.

Here is a chart of all Hensley * Gibbs bullet molds that you may find interesting.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Not me. Definitely not me.
Run your Bullets through the lubersizers to make them all the same size. Size: them at least 1/1000 " over the bore diameter. This will prevent leading.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
lws380 said:
Does anyone pan lube?

Nope. I, too, use a press that sizes the bullets and applies lubricant to the grooves in one operation.

As-cast bullets are seldom properly sized for the intended caliber.