Rattle Canned the AR

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
Over the weekend I pulled the trigger on painting my AR build. When I first started building my rifle I knew I wanted some kind of camo on it just to give it some character. I decided to go with the kryptek pattern since that hasn't blown up and become the new fad that everyone is using, it is still somewhat unique. I ordered the stencils from Etsy for around $5 shipped. The rifle has been built and sitting for a few weeks and I had the time recently to paint it. I'm going to post multiple pictures and the process of painting with a final before/after at the end. I used the regular camo spray paint from Home Depot to get the colors I wanted. I think it turned out pretty well for this being my first time doing something like this. I cannot stress the importance of patience during the project and taking the time to prep, that is the biggest factor as to how it turned out!!

Here is the first picture I took. I put down a base coat of tan, then used the dark brown to cover over the stencil and green to finish off the look.

FIsHzku.jpg

WJZfWBn.jpg

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I may pick one up to do my deer rifle. Unlike some I kinda like kryptek on guns. I think it looks better than multicam on guns.

Reactions: mmason3

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Does it have a smell when cured?

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
It's ok. I never understood only doing camo on some parts. Seems to make the camo not very effective.

To each their own though.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
I may pick one up to do my deer rifle. Unlike some I kinda like kryptek on guns. I think it looks better than multicam on guns.
I love the kryptek pattern on rifles, knives, pistols, just about anything other than kit. Not too many people have it here in Georgia, I haven't seen any in my area particularly, that doesn't mean it isn't here, I just haven't seen it.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
It's ok. I never understood only doing camo on some parts. Seems to make the camo not very effective.

I just didn't feel like masking the optic and flashlight. As far as the lower parts and delta ring, those are minor parts that won't really be seen any way. For me, this is just a way to personalize the rifle. I didn't intend for this to a "real-world" application mod.

Reactions: Wallace

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

If you look at it at 100 yards you'll change your mind.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Looks like you did a nice job! How durable does it seem to be? Does it scratch off with a fingernail? Post a pic after a few range trips. Id liked to see how it holds up

Reactions: mmason3

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
Looks like you did a nice job! How durable does it seem to be? Does it scratch off with a fingernail? Post a pic after a few range trips. Id liked to see how it holds up
It's just rattle can so it isn't going to compare to anything like ceracoat or duracoat. I have noticed that it is tough enough though. I haven't seen any scratches from my first range trip where I confirmed zero and did so "El Prez" drills with the rifle