Range trip PSA M4A1- Savage- Rossi- Marlin rifles

Faktory 47

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
05-27-13Combobest4.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I drove out of town to an outdoor range. Great blue sky weather, about 85 degree temperatures. It was Saturday and the Skeet Range was packed when I got there at 2 p.m.

On the Rifle Range, there were four serious types, 35 to 40 year old guys there shooting various types of AR-15 configuration. One fellow was taking notes, recording cartridge and range data.. They knew the rules and would “safe and clear” the range before going down range and there were no gun barrels waiving about like some places I’ve been to.

I started with the Marlin Model 25MN Cal 22 WMR and ran two magazine with 7 rounds into the target at 50 yards. The scope is coming off this week and getting reseated, along with a bore sight in before it goes back to the range.

The Rossi Matched Set “Trifecta” was next. I ran 10 rounds of 22Lr through her and with those sights I was impressed at 50 yards. I switched to the .243 Winchester Barrel. 10 rounds of that and my shoulder was feeling the wear and tear. She’s a little mule. As far as accuracy goes neither barrel is a nail driver but they work. I couldn’t run the 20 gauge shotgun barrel. Next time out during the week I’ll squeeze a few rounds in.

I put 8 rounds through the Savage Arms Axis XP. I continue to be impressed with the accuracy and performance of the 308 Winchester Caliber rounds fired through this rifle. A bit rough on the shoulder but...

05-26-13SwanseaRangeTrip15.jpg

My targets are set up at 50 & 100 Yards. Here is the Palmetto State Armory 5.56mm M4A1 Patrol Carbine. She’s decked out with the Aimpoint optics. I ran 75 rounds of .22LR through her using a CMMG 22LR Converter and Black Dog Magazines.

05-26-13SwanseaRangeTrip37Marked.jpg

The final target was set at 100 yards. I popped in the 5.56mm bolt assembly and put 40 rounds into the target. I took some masking tape and put an “X”. The I started fine tuning the red do t, adjusting the intensity until it was low. Then holding at 6 O’clock. I walked a few up the target center mass.

Those aren’t flyers at the bottom of the target. The wind picked up and blew the bottom part of the target up, covering it, except for the neck up. I also have a 20-40-60MM spotting scope and could see the top part clearly in the 3x magnifier so I kept on shooting.

So that was my afternoon. They aren't open until Wednesday, but I might just do it again.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Looks like fun.

Unfortunately, we have rain forecast for the whole next week. I just got my EoTech 3x magnifier for my AR a few days ago and can't get out to play with it. :-[

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
05-26-13SwanseaRangeTrip27.jpg

Loads of fun. The 3x Magnifier is something else. But, changing bolts from 5.56mm to .22LR is easy work. I like to wipe them clean and start over when changing.

05-26-13SwanseaRangeTrip17.jpg

A close up picture. This thing works and saves a few bucks.

05-27-13PSAAR151.jpg

The PSA Carbine was the pick of the day. Put the optics on and she’s ready to rock n roll and shoots like a type writer.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Doesn't magnifier mount allow you to mount it over your buis? I'd hate having my optic that far forward.

Love the PSA and Aimpiont.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
Doesn't magnifier mount allow you to mount it over your buis? I'd hate having my optic that far forward.

I agree with that. In addition, I would never want the main optic mounted anywhere but on the receiver. My EoTech sight, magnifier, and BUIS all fit on the AR-15 receiver's rail.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Slowhand said:
I put 8 rounds through the Savage Arms Axis XP. I continue to be impressed with the accuracy and performance of the 308 Winchester Caliber rounds fired through this rifle. A bit rough on the shoulder but...

Is the Axis like the Savage 111? I've been looking for a new heavy hitter for a fall elk hunt.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:

I agree with that. In addition, I would never want the main optic mounted anywhere but on the receiver. My EoTech sight, magnifier, and BUIS all fit on the AR-15 receiver's rail.

AimpointConfigerationlook.jpg

To each his own. Both Aimpoints will not fit on the receiver using an Aimpoint Twist mount base. I've seen various combinations using different mounts. I'll check out moving the 3x Over the BUIS next range trip and see how that works. The distance between the optics doesn't seem to make too much difference. EoTechs are a different ball game. The next AR-15 I acquire I may go that route.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
yz9890 said:
Slowhand said:

Is the Axis like the Savage 111? I've been looking for a new heavy hitter for a fall elk hunt.

LOL....Shop around you never know what you can run into.

You're talking Big Bucks now a Savage 111 long range hunter in 308 starts around a $1,000, before talking scopes. You jack up the calibers and start adding muzzle brakes and it's $3,000. I've never hunted moose or elks just deer, bears, coyotes and many moons ago a few prairie dogs. If I were going after elk, I'd go with a Savage 111.

It's like comparing a BMW to a VW both are automobiles and German but ... Bimmers rock & roll.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Slowhand said:
yz9890 said:
Slowhand said:

LOL....Shop around you never know what you can run into.

You're talking Big Bucks now a Savage 111 long range hunter in 308 starts around a $1,000, before talking scopes. You jack up the calibers and start adding muzzle brakes and it's $3,000. I've never hunted moose or elks just deer, bears, coyotes and many moons ago a few prairie dogs. If I were going after elk, I'd go with a Savage 111.

It's like comparing a BMW to a VW both are automobiles and German but ... Bimmers rock & roll.

UPDATE I was out making the rounds today and Palmetto Arms was having a clearance sale. A Savage 111- 308 for under $500.00.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
yz9890 said:

I went by Palmetto State Armory today had had a discussion with a couple of their armorers. They suggested moving the 3X Magnifier back to the original configuration back to the original position, away from the BUIS, closer to the Aimpoint to maximize effectiveness. Whatever...

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Slowhand said:
I went by Palmetto State Armory today had had a discussion with a couple of their armorers. They suggested moving the 3X Magnifier back to the original configuration back to the original position, away from the BUIS, closer to the Aimpoint to maximize effectiveness. Whatever...
My concern is that with the sight being on the handguard it may not be as rigidly connected to the receiver. However, I've never built a free-floating AR yet so I don't know how rigid the handguard would be. My son built a 1/3MOA AR a couple of years back which used a free-floating barrel arrangement but his sight was on the receiver where I would have expected it to be.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
Slowhand said:
My concern is that with the sight being on the handguard it may not be as rigidly connected to the receiver. However, I've never built a free-floating AR yet so I don't know how rigid the handguard would be. My son built a 1/3MOA AR a couple of years back which used a free-floating barrel arrangement but his sight was on the receiver where I would have expected it to be.

Originally the game plan was to have both optics sitting on top of the receiver. But if I wanted the keep the BUIS that was not possible. So the rear optic sits on an Aimpoint Twist Mount which locks into the rail. It's position allows access and use of the BUIS.

Here's one point, where Aimpoint and EoTechs basically differ, in size. The Aimpoint is bigger. So the standard forearm guard had to go. The forward optical is sitting on top of a Midwest Industries 2nd Generation 2 Piece, hand guard, quad rail. The Top and Two Side Rails of the hand guard are one piece.

They lock into the rear slip ring and the hand guard cap a heck of a lot tighter than the two piece standard forearm guard I replaced. I put some thought and research into this, having concerns that the optics were going to be firmly seated and not drop off. These mounts have some torque limiting capabilities but clamp down solid.

Since then, I've put hundreds of rounds of 5.56mm, .223 and .22LR through this build and it's tight. So far so good. When I discussed it with the armorers this morning they assured me that based upon light refraction I needed to get the two optics back together again. Not that I have a big head or anything, but I didn't like the cheek rest on the original configuration, so I changed to a Magpul STR M4 which seems to be helping.

Thanks for your response.