Range trip: Four 380's get an outing

Faktory 47

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
04-18-13RangeTrip1.jpg

It was raining in SC this afternoon. So what the heck? I called a friend and we set up a range trip. I took along a Ruger LCP 380, a Walther PPK S-1 and a Ruger 380. His wife's out of town until the weekend so he drags along an Ruger LC380, a S&W Body Guard & a GSG 1911 22LR.

WaltherPPKS1RugerLCP1.jpg

I put 7 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90 Grain GDHPs through the LCP to start. These 7 rounds had taken a little dip in a Lake last summer, along with the LCP. I dried them off and put them aside for a future range trip. They worked. I ran 7 more Winchester 380 95 Grain FMJ through the weapon. I hadn’t shot it for awhile but that’s OK.

Ruger380x2.jpg

I switched to the Ruger LC380 and ran 50 rounds of Winchester 380 95 Grain FMJ through. No problems. As I have said before Ruger fixed the LCP Bugs when they made the Ruger LC380. She’s a great shooter.

Next I started on the Walther PPK S-1 I ran about 50 rounds through it (Winchesters). Then a friend handed me his S&W Body Guard. I ran a couple of magazines through it. I don’t much care for the Laser S&W chose. That side button, would take some getting used to. But with the regular sights in a great shooter.

I ran a 10 round magazines of .22LR through his GSG 1911 22LR. If you haven’t tried one of these check it out. With a long barrel, she’s a nail driver.

I went to work on the Walther PPK S-1 again. I ran 29 rounds through it. Half way through the slide jammed open. Since I’d already put 50 rounds through her she was literally smoking hot. It was about 90 Degrees on the In Door Range.

I pulled the slide back, locked it open and used a small hand pump bottle of CLP to spray down the back of the slide area (Hammer), the front bottom of the slide and the barrel. Plus I put some inside the now open slide.

You could see vapor rising in the air. Once she had cooled a little bit, I pulled the front of the trigger guard down and locked it to the side. I pulled the slide off, sprayed the interior and wiped it down. Then I reloaded her and the rest of the 50 round box through her. I put about 79 rounds through and that’s asking a lot from an all metal pistol in that heat.

When I go to the range I take a small tool box, with multiple drawers with various tools and cleaning materials inside. I also have a Remington Bag that I use to carry ammunition, ear protection and shooting glasses in. It’s an organization thing.

I wiped all three weapons down, reloaded the Ruger LCP and the Walther PPK S-1 with self defense ammo and called it a day. They will all get cleaned in the morning. I'd brought along a couple of hundred 380 rounds but decided to call it early.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Wowww....Nice range trip...... 8)

I figured you were gonna go shootin with all that 380 ammo you brought the other day..... 8) 8)

Really enjoyed your range report........... ;)

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
You betcha it was a great trip. I bought the Winchester 380 ammo back in October 2012. I started stocking up, after I bought the Walther PPK S-1. I had some vibes about how the election was going and well remember what things were like in 2008.

M

mukwah

Thanks for the report Slowhand! Really enjoyed reading it!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
That's a great range report, Slowhand. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't had a chance to shoot an LC380 yet, but hope I can soon. I bet they are a lot of fun to shoot!

Nice 380 collection, by the way.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
bigdogdaddy said:
Thanks for the report. Good idea on the lets load up a bunch of the same caliber plan. I like it.

With the Summer heat here in South Carolina going down in caliber has it's perks. In the fall and winter it's a different story. Since the LC380 and the Walther have longer range capabilities the LCP becomes a BUG.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Verticoli said:
Sounds like fun except for the heat.

You betcha! It's only April, by July/August it will be an oven in there. I under lubed the Walther and it stuck up. Next time out I'll pop some slide lube on it. I always bring an extra shirt, in the warms months, and wash up before heading out for home or a stop along the way.

Of course living in Florida, you get your share of the heat.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Gotta love the PPKs! I would love to shoot the new Ruger Lc380, but I would also be tempted to shoot looke at the Bersa compact. I have not been doing any powder burner shooting and not good for carry. down to my last box of 380. But I have been training with my Makarov BB pistol, and just ordered this cool Walthar PPKs with blowback. I can train in the garage.

Airgun Reporter: Walther PPK BB Gun with Blow Back Action

cjohnston

Scout
Jun 10, 2013
Palm Harbor, FL
Any failures with the Bodyguard? I like that gun a lot, but have stayed away based on the amount of horror stories I've heard. Hoping to give it a try someday..

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
cjohnston said:
Any failures with the Bodyguard? I like that gun a lot, but have stayed away based on the amount of horror stories I've heard. Hoping to give it a try someday..

So far he has had no problems with it.......