Range report LC9 with new mag and Big Dot sight

Faktory 47
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
For the past couple of days, I have been taking my LC9 to the range. I had received the new magazine with one more round than the standard and a extended length and the Big Dot sight.

Well I thought I would love the new mag and it looked pretty cool, however it makes the pistol look a lot bigger. I have shot the LC9 with thousands of rounds down range and shoot it fairly well. I was using my own reloads, loaded somewhat light. The gun performed flawlessly as usual. About (300 rds) however, I DO NOT LIKE THE MAGAZINE. It worked fine, but I just did not like the way the gun gripped. I returned to shooting the old mags with the Pinky extensions and it felt so much more natural and my groups tightened back up. Maybe it was just me, as I am not use to the mag, but I do not want to waste anymore ammo trying to get that sweet spot that I have with the older mags.

I did enjoy the Big Dot! It took a while to get the right zero, but the gun sure comes to target faster. The big dot shines great in dark and low level light, but like most sights, it was still a little difficult under the lousy lights at the indoor gun range. I give it a 5 star rating.

I later talked to the young lady in the store after shooting, and mentioned to her that I really want a new Sig 238. She pulled out the "Desert Model" with the installed Hogue Grips and I fell in love with it. It felt stupendous in my hand. The Hogue grips really make the difference. I tried others while I was there, but nothing compared to the Hogue (for me anyway). I never thought I would like the "Desert Color" but I really took to it. Actually it might ;) carry better with the clothes I wear instead of the obvious black. I will have to wait until after Christmas, or as she said, just LAY IT AWAY!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
That would be great and I would appreciate it. I have been thinking about doing something with my LC9 sights and not sure what I want to do.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
There's a lot of reasons to like these sights over the OEM ones. The only concern is if they might fit cleanly in the holsters I already have. Just going to have to take a real close look at how much space is available to accomodate them.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
davevabch said:
bigdogdaddy said:
That would be great and I would appreciate it. I have been thinking about doing something with my LC9 sights and not sure what I want to do.

In the meantime, here is a link with a picture.

http://www.impactguns.com/xs-sight-systems-big-dot-night-set-ruger-lc9-rp-0009s-3-647533041027.aspx

Thanks. Maybe it is age, but unlike the LCP, I tend to use the sights on the LC9 a little more and they just seem a little dim (for lack of a better word) to me.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
3Coyotes said:
There's a lot of reasons to like these sights over the OEM ones. The only concern is if they might fit cleanly in the holsters I already have. Just going to have to take a real close look at how much space is available to accomodate them.

The big dot sights will have a tendency to drag on a leather holster and make the draw more difficult if the holster was not molded for the bigger sights. When I build a holster for the bigger sights I create some space with a sight channel to make it draw a little easier. With Soft pouch holsters it may not make a difference, but the potential to drag is there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.