Quick and Effective Scorpion EVO mod

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Have a CZ Scorpion EVO? Thanks to @BosanaCZ I have a Yetiwurks Switchback on mine now, but the designers of the firearm didn't pay much attention to the human interface with the firearm. They were definitely going for an aggressive angular look, and that's fine for the most part. The places they neglected to address were the ambi-safety (that's been covered ad nauseum) and the trigger guard. When using the factory or aftermarket grips, the middle finger drags on the sharp angles of the trigger guard. It's not terribly noticeable until you put a few hundred rounds downrange like I just did. After a while it just gets to be a bit uncomfortable.

Enter the Ryobi finishing sander. A little bit of sanding on the angular grip and trigger guard made it feel like a totally different firearm. It felt ok before, but that's because I didn't realize how much more comfortable it could be. The results as far as comfort and trigger finger position are dramatic. It was already my favorite carbine, now even more so.

Yeah, it looks like it's been sanded, but I don't care. I like my guns to fit perfectly and it feels great now.

Anyway, here's a shot of the area in question. I didn't take a before pic, but compare it to your own. If you notice some pressure in this area, removing a bit of material and flattening out the ridges does wonders. It doesn't look like this would make much of a difference, but it absolutely does.

IMG_2069.JPG

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The ambi safety sucks
Yeah but I just ground it off. There's no need to buy a $20 replacement ambi safety delete button. The problem is totally remedied in about 30 seconds.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
How do you like the grip? You sbr this?
The switchback grip is ok after rounding some edges off a bit. I'm sure Magpul will have options eventually, but for now it's fine. Yeah, it's SBR'd. Here's the pic before the Yetiwurks grip.

IMG_1888.JPG

Reactions: Stonewall

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have been contemplating a cz. We need to get together soon so I can test yours out.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
How do you guys like your evo? Would you trade it for a Glock mag fed 9mm AR?
I love it, and I've had both (actually a Glock mag fed and Colt mag fed AR). It's a heavy duty carbine, with big, chunky internals, and it was designed from the ground up for 9mm..... I like that a lot. Aftermarket parts and pieces aren't caught up to AR9's, but they'll get close enough, soon enough I'm sure. I can't wait until my Gemtech MM is out of jail, because these things are fantastic when suppressed.

A $12 HBI trigger spring kit is necessary, as the stock trigger is somewhere around 10+ pounds. SBRing it takes all of 15 seconds. The factory sights are pretty decent.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
How do you guys like your evo? Would you trade it for a Glock mag fed 9mm AR?
You probably have the best chance of answering this. Between a scorpion and a Glock mag AR (9mm), would one suppress better than the other?

I want to build a 9mm SBR eventually and I still can't decide between a 9mm AR, Scorpion, or maybe a MPX. I think if one is better to suppress than another would help me narrow it down.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
How do you like the side folder? Which one is it & where did you find it?
It's solid. I bought it about six months ago on CZ's website. I shipped it to a friend's house until my stamp came back. Good cheek weld, solid construction.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
@Laufen what optic, if any, do you plan to use?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've almost totally sworn off battery operated sights, but for this platform it might be the best option. I'm hoping to win the Black Spider scope on the giveaway, lol!
Otherwise, I'm considering the Trijicon MRO.

I'm shooting it well with irons right now, so it might stay that way until I'm a senior citizen.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've almost totally sworn off battery operated sights, but for this platform it might be the best option. I'm hoping to win the Black Spider scope on the giveaway, lol!
Otherwise, I'm considering the Trijicon MRO.

I'm shooting it well with irons right now, so it might stay that way until I'm a senior citizen.
After the holidays we need to meet up to shoot. I have been incredibly pleased with the vortex reddot on my AR and you can check it out and I can play with the scorpion.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
After the holidays we need to meet up to shoot. I have been incredibly pleased with the vortex reddot on my AR and you can check it out and I can play with the scorpion.
That'd be great. A friend has the Sparc on his AR, likes it a lot too.