Zip code
Reactions: Strider12

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
If you shoot thumb over bore, something like that really does make it more comfortable. Most people that use them, though; use them in a manner other than in which they were designed.
What'd you mean? My thumb is usually up my ass so......

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
What'd you mean? My thumb is usually up my ass so......
^^ Clearly doesn't operate. ^^

Thumb over bore, also known as the C-Clamp. It was something that Chris Costa pushed really hard in all those samurai DVD's that Magpul made a couple of years back.

question-time-9.jpg

The AVG's out there are designed to allow your hand to open up a little more and have less "clamp" in them. Whereas his fingers are flat in this picture, if he had an AVG, it would allow more purchase on the rifle with less "effort" from the hand.

I don't shoot TOB, but then again, I also don't own Peltors, Oakley's, or any attitude apparel so what do I know.

Reactions: Strider12

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code

Thumb over bore, also known as the C-Clamp. It was something that Chris Costa pushed really hard in all those samurai DVD's that Magpul made a couple of years back.

question-time-9.jpg

The AVG's out there are designed to allow your hand to open up a little more and have less "clamp" in them. Whereas his fingers are flat in this picture, if he had an AVG, it would allow more purchase on the rifle with less "effort" from the hand.

I don't shoot TOB, but then again, I also don't own Peltors, Oakley's, or any attitude apparel so what do I know.

That just isn't a natural shooting position for me. I guess w/ a lot of practice and training?? I have tried the AVGs, but I don't like them. It just doesn't fit my hand comfortably.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
That just isn't a natural shooting position for me. I guess w/ a lot of practice and training?? I have tried the AVGs, but I don't like them. It just doesn't fit my hand comfortably.
I've tried it a few times on a few different rifles. For me, it starts to get into my offhand shoulder after awhile. I'm not a little guy and my shoulders are pretty big, as are my arms. Getting my offhand arm that high on the rifle creates a lot of torque in my offhand shoulder. It's not unbearable, but I couldn't maintain it for any length of time, much less as a training habit.

I somehow think that if it was the new "wunderweld" for your off hand that it would be more widely taught. As it is, though, it does make me chuckle every time I go to the range or a class. You can always tell who the Costa fan boys are.

Reactions: lftd&pwrstrok'n

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

question-time-9.jpg

Costa really brought the whole c-clamp grip thing to the forefront. And the AFG was originally introduced as part of their "theory" product line along with the BAD lever. People were absolutely obsessed with anything he was doing for a few years. It was ridiculous. Oddly enough, he abandoned the AFG and BAD lever on his own guns. Guess they weren't as useful as we thought.

He still uses the high wrist angle, straight forearm, c-clamp grip. I tried it for a short while in addition to handstops. It didn't work for me at all. Greater fatigue and not comfortable in practical use. I went back to my tried and true short VFG. It allows me a more comfortable 3/4 grip on the rail, better rearward pressure into my shoulder and more versatile hand placement. I think the c-clamp may be useful in competition, because it does seem to offer a little more control and with enough practice may offer better split times. That's fine when a stage lasts a few minutes. But it doesn't work so well after a full day on the range, with varying shooting positions, transitions, etc.

ETA: Remember when he was covering himself in tape? That was pretty entertaining.

Reactions: freedom

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I've tried it a few times on a few different rifles. For me, it starts to get into my offhand shoulder after awhile. I'm not a little guy and my shoulders are pretty big, as are my arms. Getting my offhand arm that high on the rifle creates a lot of torque in my offhand shoulder. It's not unbearable, but I couldn't maintain it for any length of time, much less as a training habit.

I somehow think that if it was the new "wunderweld" for your off hand that it would be more widely taught. As it is, though, it does make me chuckle every time I go to the range or a class. You can always tell who the Costa fan boys are.

I am more of a bench shooter using a bipod, so I don't think I could ever get accustomed to it.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Costa really brought the whole c-clamp grip thing to the forefront. And the AFG was originally introduced as part of their "theory" product line along with the BAD lever. People were absolutely obsessed with anything he was doing for a few years. It was ridiculous. Oddly enough, he abandoned the AFG and BAD lever on his own guns. Guess they weren't as useful as we thought.

He still uses the high wrist angle, straight forearm, c-clamp grip. I tried it for a short while in addition to handstops. It didn't work for me at all. Greater fatigue and not comfortable in practical use. I went back to my tried and true short VFG. It allows me a more comfortable 3/4 grip on the rail, better rearward pressure into my shoulder and more versatile hand placement. I think the c-clamp may be useful in competition, because it does seem to offer a little more control and with enough practice may offer better split times. That's fine when a stage lasts a few minutes. But it doesn't work so well after a full day on the range, with varying shooting positions, transitions, etc.

ETA: Remember when he was covering himself in tape? That was pretty entertaining.

Don't you be dissing my rocktape bro. :thumb:

Reactions: DarthVader

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
A buddy of mine just received the handstops to use on his 8" SBR. He doesn't have a suppressor for it yet, so he installed them to keep from blowing his hand off. He's a lefty and his wife is a righty, so he mounted them at 3 and 9 o'clock. Looks funny, but they're pretty comfortable and serve the intended purpose.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I'm going to try that hand position with my Garand this weekend at Charlie Elliott.

No, not really.

Reactions: DarthVader