Precision AR build.

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I want a precision rifle. I had been planning to build a Rem 700 but I want to explore the option of a AR build.

This would be used for targets and maybe some coyote hunting. I am not looking to shoot out to 1000 yards with it. Just thinking that muscle memory and being able to switch parts to my current AR may be nice.

What caliber/barrel length/ barrel weight would y'all that know more about it recommended?

In my head I kinda want a 18-20 in heavy barrel, side charging upper possibly, free float rail, good flat faced trigger, and some reasonably nice glass. I don't know if I want to use 5.56 because it's cheap or try 6.8 or something like that.

@Wallace @DarthVader @cmshoot

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
If it's for coyotes, .223/5.56 is fine. I don't think there's hardly any ballistic or velocity advantage past 20".

Mine has a 20" Bergara barrel that's great. It gets close to 1moa with a couple factory 55gr including PMC bronze and Tula brassmax, I think it shoots less than .5moa with a tuned handload. I say I think cause most 5 shot groups prone/bipod had four touching and one "flyer".
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Pics from when I was working up the load. 9x scope. I settled on 24.1 Varget, and got almost identical groupings until I took the scope off.

Mines a 20" Bergara 1/8, heavy profile, rifle length gas. Geissele SD-E replaced the RRA 2 stage, MI mlok rail. image.png

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
204 ruger is a pretty cool round. Shoots really flat.

I was also really impressed with an ELF trigger that I got to play with recently

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Make time to meet me at my gun club in Macon and you can shoot a 20" bull barrel AR, a pretty nice .223 bolt gun, and if you want a .308 bolt. All three shoot MOA or better. Bring ammo and a sack lunch.

I can give you more details if you're actually interested.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Make time to meet me at my gun club in Macon and you can shoot a 20" bull barrel AR, a pretty nice .223 bolt gun, and if you want a .308 bolt. All three shoot MOA or better. Bring ammo and a sack lunch.

I can give you more details if you're actually interested.
I will do that. I don't know when it will work out since I don't know how much longer my leg is going to be out of commission. It sounds like fun.

Reactions: dial1911

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Rainier is having a barrel sale. 15% off the Ultramatch barrels; 10% off all others.
Have you had anyone in your classes use a Black Hole Weaponry barrel?

Curious to see how they perform in the Ar15/10 platform.

OP, just curious why you want a side charging upper?

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code

Yes, and they shot very well.

I prefer a side-charging upper on my scope-mounted AR's as well.
1. Easier to install a higher, or adjustable, cheekpiece
2. I can work the bolt without moving my head from the stock/eye from the scope.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

Cmshoot hit the main points

2. I can work the bolt without moving my head from the stock/eye from the scope.

Also because I think they are kinda cool. I was also thinking if I ever get a can it would be nice to have an adjustable gas block so I could turn it into a straight pull bolt action to keep it quiet.

Reactions: Wallace

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code

Great, I spec'd out one for a build but was still hesitant to go ahead with a purchase as I hardly see anyone run them or much feedback about them.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
They now have .17 WSM in an AR platform and ammo is easily available.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Just as an FYI, building a precision AR can be done with pretty good components for around $1,000. You can go nearly as high as you want from there though depending on rails, triggers, receiver sets, BCG's, optics, stocks, etc....

My bench gun is similar to Freedoms with a 20" target crowned 1:8 223 Wylde barrel, A2 stock and free float tube. Mine is an optics only gun with 3-9 scope (POS scope too). Was built with used part and I have around $500 in it. I wouldn't consider it uber precision as the optic blows ass, but a descent optic and hand loads should get it easily sub-MOA.

Anyways, for flat bow triggers, the CMC units or as Freedom has, the SD-E are very nice choices.

If you are not shooting suppressed with this, 18-20" would be just fine. If shooting suppressed, I would maybe steer towards the 18" route simply to keep it a tad shorted and reduce the weight some (you may still want this even if not shooting suppressed). The velocity changes between the two lengths would be very small and since your not going to be shooting at super long ranges, you would probably never really see a difference between the two. I like just a regular heavy barrel for bench/precision rifles as they seem to be more robust to heat and the added weight makes it easier for more stable shooting for me without making the rifle super nose heavy like you may get running a bull barrel.

Rails: what do you want in a rail? Mount lights and BUIS or just to free float it, etc...?This may narrow down your choices better.

@cmshoot will be the guy to recommend the best optic in which ever price range you choose.

Using 5.56/223 should suit your needs just fine. No need to go 6.8 unless you are set on wanting something different. I personally have no use for that caliber.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Just as an FYI, building a precision AR can be done with pretty good components for around $1,000. You can go nearly as high as you want from there though depending on rails, triggers, receiver sets, BCG's, optics, stocks, etc....

My bench gun is similar to Freedoms with a 20" target crowned 1:8 223 Wylde barrel, A2 stock and free float tube. Mine is an optics only gun with 3-9 scope (POS scope too). Was built with used part and I have around $500 in it. I wouldn't consider it uber precision as the optic blows ass, but a descent optic and hand loads should get it easily sub-MOA.

Anyways, for flat bow triggers, the CMC units or as Freedom has, the SD-E are very nice choices.

If you are not shooting suppressed with this, 18-20" would be just fine. If shooting suppressed, I would maybe steer towards the 18" route simply to keep it a tad shorted and reduce the weight some (you may still want this even if not shooting suppressed). The velocity changes between the two lengths would be very small and since your not going to be shooting at super long ranges, you would probably never really see a difference between the two. I like just a regular heavy barrel for bench/precision rifles as they seem to be more robust to heat and the added weight makes it easier for more stable shooting for me without making the rifle super nose heavy like you may get running a bull barrel.

Rails: what do you want in a rail? Mount lights and BUIS or just to free float it, etc...?This may narrow down your choices better.

@cmshoot will be the guy to recommend the best optic in which ever price range you choose.

Using 5.56/223 should suit your needs just fine. No need to go 6.8 unless you are set on wanting something different. I personally have no use for that caliber.

Good call on the barrel length. I do plan on a suppressor in the next year or so.

I don't plan on putting iron sights or anything tacticool. I'll probably do a Freefloat Keymod rail with an bipod. I want something with attachment options for moving the bipod and sling easy to get the set up how I want.

I'm hoping to buy a BCM complete lower for my current AR then use the PSA lower I have for this build. Then all I'd have to swap is the trigger and probably the stock for something with comb adjustment.

If I can get to 1MOA I'd be happy. I don't have steady enough hands for much better at distance anyway.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Good call on the barrel length. I do plan on a suppressor in the next year or so.

I don't plan on putting iron sights or anything tacticool. I'll probably do a Freefloat Keymod rail with an bipod. I want something with attachment options for moving the bipod and sling easy to get the set up how I want.

I'm hoping to buy a BCM complete lower for my current AR then use the PSA lower I have for this build. Then all I'd have to swap is the trigger and probably the stock for something with comb adjustment.

If I can get to 1MOA I'd be happy. I don't have steady enough hands for much better at distance anyway.
Whatever you end up getting, just hollar at me if you need help to swap things around/install/assemble. I got just about everything you would need minus proprietary wrenches for certain rails.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Whatever you end up getting, just hollar at me if you need help to swap things around/install/assemble. I got just about everything you would need minus proprietary wrenches for certain rails.
The AR I have was a complete upper and lower so the next one I want to assemble from scratch so I will take you up on that since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Reactions: Wallace

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Before they made improvements on the range I use for my Basic Precision Rifle course, we shot out to 900 yards.

I had several students that successfully ran out to 900yds using AR's in 5.56. Last student used a DIY build with Black Rain Ordnance receivers and an 18" Black Hole Weaponry barrel.

All the students that I had successfully run 900 yards with an AR in 5.56 used 18" barrels; no longer and no shorter.