Possible AR15 Problems!

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Out shooting my Ruger AR556, trying out my suppressor. I only shot 5 rounds and when I picked up the casings I notice some nice scratches and small dents in all 5 rounds. Now, I have not noticed this before with any other AR15 I had. This rifle is brand new.

I wouldn't think twice about it, other than collecting the brass for future reloading.

1st question: what could be causing it?

2nd question: what effects will this have with reloading?

Pics:

This is the dent in the casing. Red line is direction. It's a little short of halfway from bottom of the casing. It's just one dent.
2017-06-25 20.08.28.jpg

These are the scratches. There are 2 on the right circle and 1 on the left. It is identical on all casings. You can feel them with your nail.
2017-06-25 20.09.31.jpg

Just seeing if anyone might have some input!

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
No, I did not! You thinking it might be possible that blowback is causing some issue with the feeding?
also using it ad a baseline test to see if the throat isnt too tight or something that might be slightly put of spec.

or it could go away with the more rounds you fire.

really just need to know if does it unsuppressed

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Rifles do funny things when suppressed. Are you running a standard BCG or FA BCG?

I shot my AR suppressed with the Mini Grunt and never noticed an issue with the casing.

Just remember that blowback is not just gas but trash as well.

Did you notice any issues with the bolt slamming back harder than in suppressed?

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Rifles do funny things when suppressed. Are you running a standard BCG or FA BCG?

I shot my AR suppressed with the Mini Grunt and never noticed an issue with the casing.

Just remember that blowback is not just gas but trash as well.

Did you notice any issues with the bolt slamming back harder than in suppressed?

Just the standard BCG from Ruger.
In comparison to a M&P15 Sport that I got rid of recently, I didn't notice anything different with bolt action.

I'm gonna have to go back out to try unsuppressed. I just decided to stop after 5 rounds after picking up those casings.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
May just need to turn down the gas, stiffer buffer spring, heavier buffer, etc. The one dent is more than likely hitting the deflector hard with the increased back pressure. No problem reloading them. Full length size and the casing will fire form when shot again.

The casing with multiple swipes looks to be a mag "problem." Try another mag. Looks like the bolt hitting the case when it pushes the round before it into the chamber.

If you are near me (buford/Buckhead), you can borrow various buffers and try them out. I do run adjustable gas blocks on all of my AR's though. Cuts down on the amount of gas you eat as well.

Last edited:

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
With ReservoirDog on this... the long scratches axially are likely from the bolt sliding on the next round in the mag

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Metal or polymer mags? How many mags did you have the issue with?

The dent may be from the deflector. Is it throwing the brass forward? Suppressors always increase gas pressure and cheaper rifles usually start overgassed. If you didn't change it, it probably has a carbine weight buffer. A heavier one and stiffer spring like a Sprinco extra power one can slow it down a bit.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Suppressors don't increase the gas pressure. What they do is increase the dwell time of the gas in the system. I was going to guess dents are from the shell deflector being hit harder/faster than normal from the increased bolt speed. Adjustable gas block or go up the next size buffer and see if that solves it. Like Mac11FA said, suppressors will make a rifle behave differently than what you are used to. Try it without the can and see what happens.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Where are you shooting? Is it simply bouncing off of a hard wall in an indoor range or onto gravel in an outdoor range? Could be the gun of course, but dont discount it being something dumb like this.

Shooting in an open yard, casings landing on grass.

Good point!

Reactions: Leshaire

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Metal or polymer mags? How many mags did you have the issue with?

The dent may be from the deflector. Is it throwing the brass forward? Suppressors always increase gas pressure and cheaper rifles usually start overgassed. If you didn't change it, it probably has a carbine weight buffer. A heavier one and stiffer spring like a Sprinco extra power one can slow it down a bit.

PMAG. Only shot five rounds, all of them the same looking! I just happened to pick those casings up and noticed it and stopped. It was feeding me some gas, so I believe I will go with a heavier buffer and stiffer spring.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I would say overgassed if the shells are thrown at 1-2 o'clock they are hitting the deflector harder causing dents and thrown forward. I had the same issue with a comercial buffer and switched out to milspec it's been fine. I also use a BCM mod 3 CH does wonders for that gas in the eye. Heavy buffer and/or heavier spring could be another option too.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
The H2 buffer should help things. I need to get down your way some time and let you try an FA bolt. Also, if you can have someone film it and slow down on replay.

Yeah, I still need to get out and try it nonsuppressed.