Pistol rack - another option

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Lacking RICHGCOOP's skills in the workshop, I've been looking for a rack that would work in the safe to hold my handguns. Ran across this $13 bamboo plate rack on Amazon that works quite well:

f52bb730-b89c-46f9-a700-4dff31eec0e2_zpsf14d8624.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Bamboo-BPRK-Plate-Rack/dp/B003KQPP8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362342357&sr=8-1&keywords=Simply+Bamboo+Plate+Rack

Loaded up:

7ac26eba-3309-41d8-a9a4-20295f44cf88_zps09af0a3c.jpg

It works fine with gunsocks on the pistols/revolvers too.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I cannot think of an easier-to-build design (either Rich's or the one in the OP). I certainly wouldn't pay $13 for what most folks could build for a couple of bucks worth of material as long as they have a decent saw (even a good hand saw) and a drill.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
framedcraig1 said:
+1 Skip. I have dowels.. and door trim..saw...drill....Think I'm good.
Sounds like you're good to go to me.

A tip.... Chuck up the dowels in a drill (or a drill press) and spin them against 120-grit sandpaper to round the top ends.

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
I cannot think of an easier-to-build design (either Rich's or the one in the OP). I certainly wouldn't pay $13 for what most folks could build for a couple of bucks worth of material as long as they have a decent saw (even a good hand saw) and a drill.

You must remember Skip, that there are people like me out there. I have a tack hammer, and a 4 in 1 screwdriver (and they are both rusted!). That's the extent of my tools! Folks like me just buy that kind of stuff for $13! ::)

Ray

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
rayzer007 said:
You must remember Skip, that there are people like me out there. I have a tack hammer, and a 4 in 1 screwdriver (and they are both rusted!). That's the extent of my tools! Folks like me just buy that kind of stuff for $13! ::)

Ray

Ray-

You are, unfortunately, correct. A saw, a drill and me in the same room would be classed by some as a weapon of mass destruction (my wife for instance)...

::)

R

rayzer007

redmond said:
A saw, a drill and me in the same room would be classed by some as a weapon of mass destruction (my wife for instance)...

Same here Greg. I tried years ago to do tool related work, and just kept destroying things. I've permanently retired from attempting anything of that sort. Fortunately, my stepson lives upstairs and is a master carpenter. My wife is pretty talented with home repair pursuits also. I stick to the flute, clarinet, books and the computer; it's just safer and more peaceful for everyone that way! ;D
It's like the old saying - "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It frustrates you and irritates the pig." :mad:

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I'm really glad that tools and I get along well. I work with (and have tools for) cabinet and furniture building, carpentry, electrical systems, electronics, plumbing, painting (not pictures, though), auto and other machinery repair, gunsmithing, metal fabrication, photography, and just about anything that a lot of people hire others to do. I'd be in the poorhouse if I couldn't do things myself.

My wife does things like gardening that I don't want to do. ;D