Panic buy?

GA Firing Line

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I'm pretty sick of all the panic buys. Not worth the trouble. Sometimes I think gun owners are their worst own enemies. It was like this to a lesser degree in 2009. All the panic and hype over nothing. Just weakens the sport all together. I went to a local gs the other day, place was so busy with people buying guns that have never been to a range in the past, and will probably buy a gun that does not even fit, then just let it sit on the shelf for the rest of their life. Saw one guy wanting to buy all the 22.cal (6 boxes had just arrived) knowing that others next to him were hoping to get a box also. just sick of the greed. Really sick of all the ignorant rhetoric from both sides of the fence. Sick of all the conspiracy theories etc.
I have spent the past couple of months shooting some great airguns. Thousands of rounds down range and having a blast. Ammo is plentiful and inexpensive. Did some great squirrel hunting, lot of plinking and target shooting. One of the guys on my air gun forum had a very successful rabbit hunt nailing one 200 yds out.
I'm sure this reactive panic will die down eventually. In the meantime, I plan all doing a lot of shooting.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I was at the Fin this past weekend and the panic buying is still hitting its peak. What was funny while my friend was waiting on her background check to come back for her new LC380 (not a panic buy, she has been wanting a pistol for a long time) I see guys standing in the .380, 9mm, .40 isle just starring at the boxes on the shelf. I am thinking they are staring at the hightend prices and thinking how many boxes can they buy with out their wife's approval. LOL Ammo is up at the Fin an average 10 bucks a box before this nonsense started. Limit 5 boxes per but 5 boxes of 9mm there would be $115 plus tax! I just bought a 525 bulk box of .22lr blazer's (1 was the limit on those!)This is getting silly-crazy. I think I am going to stop looking till all this settles down before I purchase anymore center-fire ammo. Least I can afford to plink.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I was at a one man gun shop the other day, and he was obviously frustrated. He has been selling guns like crazy, but with it came the headaches. The first guy in line had a gun he wanted to return. He was upset that the pocket gun he bought did not have a safety. Just could not understand this. Also the gun was too small too shoot with his big hands. The next in line wanted to buy a LCP for his wife. He said he rarely shoots and his wife never. He became somewhat upset when the owner tried in vain to get his wife to come in and more importantly go shoot a few guns first. He told me, that he is selling a lot of guns to first time buyers and they cannot even get the ammo. He suspects there will a lot of nice used guns on the market in the future. "Wait until the wife of the guy bought here the cute little LCP finds out it bites like a rattlesnake."Anyone in the market for a LCP?

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Wal-Mart shelves entirely bare of center fire handgun ammo last night.

One good thing (for us) that has come from all of the attention to firearms right now is that my lovely wife finally decided to take the class with several of her girl friends.

The bad thing is that the instructor wants them to bring 200 rounds of ammo each! This caused me to "Panic Buy" two boxes of aluminum blazer .380 that I would normally pass over. I am going to send her with the Walther P22 and the LCP with 200 rounds for each to see if he lets her spend most of her time one the .22.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Northern_Son said:
The bad thing is that the instructor wants them to bring 200 rounds of ammo each! This caused me to "Panic Buy" two boxes of aluminum blazer .380 that I would normally pass over. I am going to send her with the Walther P22 and the LCP with 200 rounds for each to see if he lets her spend most of her time one the .22.

Wow that a bit much, my instructor just had us bring 1 box of 50. With prices of ammo if someone used a 9mm or a .40 that would a hundred bucks.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Went to Wally World today.....No ammo......

Obama man will be on TV tonight....

One of his subjects will be gun control related topics... :-\

Frank.dux

Scout
Jun 12, 2012
Dropped by Walmart Saturday morning and scored 3 boxes of WWB 9mm since the limit was 3 boxes/person. This location also had plenty of .45 and 5.56, but nothing else. Went down the street to another Walmart and found 3 boxes of WWB .380 amidst a small selection of .38 special, .357 and a bunch of .40.

The clerks at both location said there is a line of people every morning at 6am ready to buy whatever they can get their hands on.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
I won't be a victim of the overhyped panic. I did buy a gun, but not because of this frantic lame impending doom. I'll probably buy another soon, was already going to before it. It'll cost me more during this garbage, but I get what I want when I want it, regardless of cost. As long as I can afford it the rest really didn't matter. Prices fluctuate on everything, always have anyways will, I'm not going to let the nature of things prevent me from enjoying my hobby and/or protecting myself.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

R

rayzer007

BeyondTheBox said:
I won't be a victim of the overhyped panic. I did buy a gun, but not because of this frantic lame impending doom. I'll probably buy another soon, was already going to before it. It'll cost me more during this garbage, but I get what I want when I want it, regardless of cost. As long as I can afford it the rest really didn't matter. Prices fluctuate on everything, always have anyways will, I'm not going to let the nature of things prevent me from enjoying my hobby and/or protecting myself.

+1
Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I got my AR and all the "too big" magazines that I wanted last year. I kinda figured that prices would go sky high as they have, so I'm quite glad I made the decisions that I did.

I don't have any real desire for more firearms in the foreseeable future (mainly because my better half doesn't like me spending our retirement money just on me ::) ), and I have all the primers, powder, and bullets I can imagine using over the next several years assuming no more is available.

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
I don't have any real desire for more firearms in the foreseeable future

I feel the same way Skip; got everything I want! Isn't it nice to be able to say that!
I might go for a new trigger, and get the action smoothed on my model 37 S&W snub though. It is from the late 60's/early 70's, and has a thin serrated trigger that I really don't like.

Ray

M

mukwah

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have all the firearms, ammo, and mags to hold me for awhile. This is not to say that I won't be buying anymore anytime soon, just not panic buying.

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
My panic buy was a XD9sc (3"). With good cause apparently. Got her a couple days after Christmas. She came with a 13r mag and a 16r with the grip xtension. I then bought one more 13r and another 16r. I already had a XD9 service with two 16r's... but don't carry it much because of its size (but glad I never traded her now!).

Looks like CO is about to pass the 15r mag cap (if the senate follows the house). After that I'd never be able to get 16r mags for her. Also, it was just narrowly amended to move the cap from 10r to 15 last week...

Anyways glad I got her but still writing my representatives often.